SpeakerBoy

Cooling your woofer motor to increase performance

This isn't exactly a question I have, but here goes.

My friend is a big physics geek and on the topic of speakers, he asked why we don't have cooling devices to keep operating temperatures low so resistance is more predictable, and less influential. I Don't really know how to answer him, could some of you throw me some ideas why it isn't a practical idea? My only thoughts on it are practicality regarding a mobile environment and the equipment needed, as well as cost. But why don't filhy rich folks use woofer coolers to take advantage of their amps?

I'm interested to see what gets said here :)

It seems cool in theory (no pun intended)

Just really impractical.

Bang for the buck

I'm right, it just boils down to price?

Now what about this,

Even if it were applied, would there be any appreciable benefits?

Bang for the buck

Now what about this,

Extending the thermal rating of the driver. So in competitions where this would be legal and you are limited in cone size theoretically you could then worry about the mechanics of the driver and not the thermal rating. Obviously a driver would need to be designed for the cooling for it to be effective.

Bang for the buck

Now what about this,

Extending the thermal rating of the driver. So in competitions where this would be legal and you are limited in cone size theoretically you could then worry about the mechanics of the driver and not the thermal rating. Obviously a driver would need to be designed for the cooling for it to be effective.
There are current competition formats that would have something like this banned? Edited by SpeakerBoy

There are plenty of other ways to spend money to give you an edge. Way more effective. Attacking the sonic space is the best method. That isn't cheap though either. I have a few engineers working for me that basically just do acoustic and damping optimization on car bodies all day.

There are convection cooling methods that work well also.  Some that have shown a decrease in compression of over 2 db.  And aren't crazy expensive to implement 

Edited by Quentin Jarrell

There are convection cooling methods that work well also. Some that have shown a decrease in compression of over 2 db. And aren't crazy expensive to implement

As in, built into the motor, or a particular port design guiding air past the motor?

Bazooka used to have a water cooling system for subs and amps years ago.  It never took off, or got popular but it did work.

Seems like I remember someone telling me about a pole piece design that implemented channels for Freon to run though connected to a compressor to really cool the motor down and the voice coil as directly as possible but it's just too costly and complicated to be practical.  They were able to design it, build it and test it but it was just not practical.  I think the same person was telling me something about liquid nitrogen as well but it's been WAY too long for me to remember details.

As Q said, convection cooling and such is about the only practical way to do more to cool the structure.

Primo3dcutviewno1_zps8327b5b5.jpg

I vote Quentin designs and produces a subwoofer with some kind of unique cooling like whats been said above... ;)

There are convection cooling methods that work well also. Some that have shown a decrease in compression of over 2 db. And aren't crazy expensive to implement

Edited by alain

Primo3dcutviewno1_zps8327b5b5.jpg

I vote Quentin designs and produces a subwoofer with some kind of unique cooling like whats been said above... ;)

What about using that (Dyson fan style) airfoil technology to cool amps o.O

its a heat sink. the fins create lots of surface area. 

its a heat sink. the fins create lots of surface area.

I know. Asking an entirely different question, not about the motor lol.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

What about using that (Dyson fan style) airfoil technology to cool amps o.O

DUDE THATS A GREAT IDEA!!! I think their pretty silent too! only thing is buying the fan for cheap.

16 cylinders make more power than 8 right? Why don't you see more 16 cylinder motors? All you have to do is weld two blocks together.

16 cylinders make more power than 8 right? Why don't you see more 16 cylinder motors? All you have to do is weld two blocks together.

This was lost on me, can you clarify...

Google law of diminishing returns. Then re-ask wink.png

Google law of diminishing returns. Then re-ask wink.png

Well I know the concept of diminishing return lol

Are you just saying that it's not beneficial to cram it into a casing with an amp as far as, it isn't enough benefit to outweigh the costs of redesign and production?

Google law of diminishing returns. Then re-ask ;)

Well I know the concept of diminishing return lol

Are you just saying that it's not beneficial to cram it into a casing with an amp as far as, it isn't enough benefit to outweigh the costs of redesign and production?

I would have to say that's correct. Between design, engineering, testing, producing, and a limited market for such a driver or amplifier, you would have to almost double the driver cost.

Additionally not enough is to be gained by going to such extremes. There are NUMEROUS way to increase output of the driver without having to re-design said driver.

J

Was thinking about coring out the backplate on the Zcon for liquid nitrogen pockets. ;)

Was thinking about coring out the backplate on the Zcon for liquid nitrogen pockets. ;)

O_O