Quentin Jarrell

What's the next sub you want?

MMAG or OVERHUNG  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want to buy?

• Primo 1,000 watt subwoofer
    • regular overhung

I'm getting all of my stuff together to place orders for product to be in for the holidays this year but I am still undecided on which route to go on a 1,000 watt sub line.  I have two options that I have priced, one is an MMAG driver and the other is an overhung driver just like the Ethos. Either route taken will end up with basically the same t/s parameters but they are pros to both designs.

MMAG Primo

pros

1.) Will have smaller coil (power handling still the same) which leads to less moving mass increasing efficiency which in turn will make it a tad louder.

2.) The smaller coil make inductance lower in turn creates less distortion (however would more than likely be inaudible anyway) which in turn makes it a tad louder in upper frequencies.

3.) MMAG uses a "diode magnet" between the top plates that helps prevent flux modulation caused by the coil further lowing distortion.

4.) has a heat ring to further dissipate heat minimizing power compression

5.) heat ring also acts as a faraday ring.  However Shorting rings outside the coil isn't TOO effective. (the coil is small enough no shorting rings will be used to lower driver cost)

6.) BL remains nearly constant through most of it's stroke even further reducing power compression.  Unlike the overhung all of the coil remains saturated in flux throughout nearly all it's stroke.

cons

1.) will be a little more expensive than the overhung driver

OVERHUNG DRIVER

pros

1.) price will be a little lower

cons

1.) none really its just a normal overhung driver and doesn't have the advantages of the MMAG.

Price.

Primo will be somewhere around $280 plus shipping 15

Overhung will be around $240 plus shipping for 15

In case you don't know what the Primo looks like it's something like this.

Primo3dcutviewno1_zps8327b5b5.jpg

A SIDE NOTE

The Magnetar will also be ordered and will not be affected by the purchasing of these drivers.  There will however only be 50 drivers purchased initially for the Magnetar.

I'm all in for the Primo.  We'll be getting a vehicle to replace the van as the family hauling daily driver and the Primo is what I would love to see in it.

It should be a definite Primo.  I vote keep innovating and filling the gap in the market.

Well, with great responses so far from the etho, than just go with the underhung design. Although, more sq people bwould desire the mmag design by the way you described the differences. But at the moment, I believe more people are looking for more bass at a lesser price.

Not to offend anyone here but the Ethos is pretty damn good price to performance..  Seriously.

When people are still looking for even better price to performance, at some point, people need to take a step back and ask at what point can the US start innovating again?

We have the man-power and intelligence to do anything and new companies should focus on making a name for themselves if they so choose to do so.

This topic is made to go both ways but i strongly urge the audience of this market to literally drop the fad of the cheapest part possible as long as it functions and start bringing in new products that excel expectations at a cost DSS has to offer.

I vote primo. I dig the innovation and engineering that goes into it. I'd buy pair just to say I have one. :P

Primo all day

Like 40 bucks is that big of a deal

Lol, good call.

Primo all day

Yea really!! $40 more and you have a bunch of advantages. I vote primo!

Edited by Bassink

I know this has been spoken before, but I really think you can take over the niche segment of the shallow mounts.  The SI BM is testament to the capability of sustaining sales via internet, and I think your preliminary designs indicated more displacment capability, so IMO, it's a no-brainer.

I know this has been spoken before, but I really think you can take over the niche segment of the shallow mounts.  The SI BM is testament to the capability of sustaining sales via internet, and I think your preliminary designs indicated more displacment capability, so IMO, it's a no-brainer.

shallows are in the line up, just don't have samples on them yet.  As of right now this is what my year is looking like.

1.  Magnetar to be available in beta version (open tooled parts) within 5 to 6 months.

2.  In a few weeks Enrique Stiles will begin working on engineering soft parts that will allow ~60mm one way usable throw.  These parts are to be available for this fall.

3.  Once soft part engineering is complete a NEO MMAG driver will be developed by Enrique using a 3.5 inch coil with edge wound windings inside and outside the coil former. (Think              super high efficiency like in Pro Audio).  The goal of this driver is to be the highest displacement 15 inch subwoofer ever developed, by a long shot.  we are hoping to have this                  available for this fall under $1,000 MAP.  The sub should weigh in the neighborhood of 25-30 pounds.

4.  By then I should have the Primo production ready for sale and have the prototypes for the shallow mounts complete.

5.  Once the prototypes are complete and nothing needs to be tooled then they will be put into production. 

6.  After that we will look into less expensive drivers under the $200 range.     

Sounds like a no brainer, MMAG Primo all day!

I like how you share your plans for the year and what you will be doing! I know I will love my ethos when I get then in a few weeks.

shallows are in the line up, just don't have samples on them yet.  As of right now this is what my year is looking like.

1.  Magnetar to be available in beta version (open tooled parts) within 5 to 6 months.

2.  In a few weeks Enrique Stiles will begin working on engineering soft parts that will allow ~60mm one way usable throw.  These parts are to be available for this fall.

3.  Once soft part engineering is complete a NEO MMAG driver will be developed by Enrique using a 3.5 inch coil with edge wound windings inside and outside the coil former. (Think              super high efficiency like in Pro Audio).  The goal of this driver is to be the highest displacement 15 inch subwoofer ever developed, by a long shot.  we are hoping to have this                  available for this fall under $1,000 MAP.  The sub should weigh in the neighborhood of 25-30 pounds.

4.  By then I should have the Primo production ready for sale and have the prototypes for the shallow mounts complete.

5.  Once the prototypes are complete and nothing needs to be tooled then they will be put into production. 

6.  After that we will look into less expensive drivers under the $200 range.

What I s the neo mmag sub going to be similar too? Like the magnetar or ethos or what?

I know this has been spoken before, but I really think you can take over the niche segment of the shallow mounts. The SI BM is testament to the capability of sustaining sales via internet, and I think your preliminary designs indicated more displacment capability, so IMO, it's a no-brainer.

shallows are in the line up, just don't have samples on them yet. As of right now this is what my year is looking like.

1. Magnetar to be available in beta version (open tooled parts) within 5 to 6 months.

2. In a few weeks Enrique Stiles will begin working on engineering soft parts that will allow ~60mm one way usable throw. These parts are to be available for this fall.

3. Once soft part engineering is complete a NEO MMAG driver will be developed by Enrique using a 3.5 inch coil with edge wound windings inside and outside the coil former. (Think super high efficiency like in Pro Audio). The goal of this driver is to be the highest displacement 15 inch subwoofer ever developed, by a long shot. we are hoping to have this available for this fall under $1,000 MAP. The sub should weigh in the neighborhood of 25-30 pounds.

4. By then I should have the Primo production ready for sale and have the prototypes for the shallow mounts complete.

5. Once the prototypes are complete and nothing needs to be tooled then they will be put into production.

6. After that we will look into less expensive drivers under the $200 range.

What I s the neo mmag sub going to be similar too? Like the magnetar or ethos or what?

The Neo MMAG will look similar to the critical mass UL driver. The pole consists of the magnet and top plates and the exterior of the motor acts like the pole.

We could go with ferrite but it would weight around 70 pounds and not be Too much cheaper to manufacture. Unlike the other ways Neo is used the way it is used in MMAG is very efficient and much less is needed.

If I can find a source here in the states that can produce an auto claved cone body and cap I will go that route. If not I'll use a hybrid paper cone body. The cheap carbon fiber stuff from china isn't auto claved and is not structurally sound.

I was more curious on it's output capabilities. Is it going to be a louder sub like the magnetar or more towards the ethos or even towards the primo?

I was more curious on it's output capabilities. Is it going to be a louder sub like the magnetar or more towards the ethos or even towards the primo?

It'll be a sq sub with 55-60mm one way Xmax.