todd.brust

Why do I never see high efficiency subwoofers used for SPL purposes?

So now you care about parameters? Before you claimed all trial and error was better. Waffle around some more. Not saying anything about avoiding Chinese crap, that is a no brainer.

Btw, it is rather easy to measure drivers...

So now you care about parameters? Before you claimed all trial and error was better. Waffle around some more. Not saying anything about avoiding Chinese crap, that is a no brainer.

If the parameters are accurate, they can be useful. However they often aren't accurate, and even if they are accurate, will change significantly as the suspension loosens up.

Personally I'm more concerned with SPL at this point in my life. At my listening levels, it's impossible to discern small imperfections in sound. I can understand your side of the argument, but it simply doesn't apply so much to my listening habits as it does your own.

If the parameters are accurate, they can be useful. However they often aren't accurate, and even if they are accurate, will change significantly as the suspension loosens up.

Personally I'm more concerned with SPL at this point in my life. At my listening levels, it's impossible to discern small imperfections in sound. I can understand your side of the argument, but it simply doesn't apply so much to my listening habits as it does your own.

why would any reputable company publish inaccurate specs?

I was going to post something showing how you're constructing a straw man argument to defend your position but I think that would be lost on you. The fact of the matter is, assuming the T/S  specs were measured correctly, we can predict how a woofer will behave. Its physics. 

Edited by lithium

I was going to post something showing how you're constructing a straw man argument to defend your position but I think that would be lost on you. The fact of the matter is, assuming the T/S  specs were measured correctly, we can predict how a woofer will behave. Its physics. 

You would be surprised.

Side note, most of these "reputable companies" nowadays pay a buildhouse to do everything... There are very few companies doing a lot on their own. Do you trust Chinese specs? Because I don't. Personally, my subs have a fat "Made in the USA" sticker on the motor. :)

You would be surprised.

Side note, most of these "reputable companies" nowadays pay a buildhouse to do everything... There are very few companies doing a lot on their own. Do you trust Chinese specs? Because I don't. Personally, my subs have a fat "Made in the USA" sticker on the motor. smile.png

we're on SSA so its pretty obvious what subs i'm talking about when i say reputable.