Heisenberg

(4) Soundqubed 15's box. Dedicated Home Music System: Build Log -

So since my first box I have wanted to do an enclosure with no space restrictions. A build that focuses on cone area and low tuning.

Subs are HDS200's (ordered one already to see if I like them, I will post pictures here when it gets here)

Soundqubed is very vague with there enclosure recommendations and i'm looking for a more specialized design

My first dilemma is with the box and is if I should go with a 2x2 pattern such as this:

liftedranger08_zpscca8dc7b.jpg

Or a 4x1 pattern such as this:  (ported though)

mMYiNlcIb5JdLZWHJJpzCpA_zps72742786.jpg

My only real limits are what can fit through my doorframe's in my house. I was playing with the RE Box Calculator and I can make both styles fit.

I want between 12-19 cubes.  (<---cant believe i'm serious with this)  tuned low to 28-35 hrz

It can be enormous, only one of the dimensions needs to conform to the doorframe's

If they won't publish T/S then they aren't worth crap.

Stereo subs is the way.  One sub behind/beside each main.  People who say bass is non-direction have never heard decent playback...

How I had my dual XXX18s

2ch1.jpg

Upgraded sub amps...

019.jpg

T/s parameters  

* Model:  HDS215-D4
* Piston Diameter = 330.2 mm
* f(s)= 36.34 Hz
* R(e)= 7.47 Ohms
* Z(max)= 69.87 Ohms
* Q(ms)= 7.483
* Q(es)= 0.895
* Q(ts)= 0.800
* V(as)= 73.310 liters     (2.589 cubic feet)
* L(e)= 8.41 mH
* n(0)= 0.37 %
* SPL= 87.84 1W/1m
* M(ms)= 269.40 grams
* C(ms)= 0.07 mm/N
* BL= 22.65 

^^^these are for the D4 HDS 200's

Edited by Heisenberg

Not terribly suited for H/T or 2 channel Playback...  How many of them do you actually already have?

I'd have to concur with 95Honda. Haven't modeled them but just glancing at the specs I wouldn't call those ideal for HT/HA use given the high Fs and high Q. If you have the choice to go with something different....go with something different.

Assuming that I am not changing drivers. what is your guys input

The reason they have less than ideal ts parameters is because they are $90 dollars.

I had the SD2.0 the older model to the HDS212 in a 4 cube box tuned to 28ish hz and it got down pretty good in the mustang with a 6" port. But they lasted a whole week before the coils delaminated and started rattling.

Honestly?  I would try IB first...  Do you have a basement below the listening room?

I had the SD2.0 the older model to the HDS212 in a 4 cube box tuned to 28ish hz and it got down pretty good in the mustang with a 6" port. But they lasted a whole week before the coils delaminated and started rattling.

Keep in mind how something performs in a vehicle and how it performs in a house is COMPLETELY different.  They also have completely different enclosure requirements.

Honestly? I would try IB first... Do you have a basement below the listening room?

IB and an EQ and hope you don't run out of power or excursion too quickly. Those subs are not going to be ported friendly for the type of ported enclosure a house requires. And with their high Q and high Fs they need a large sealed enclosure to not raise the Q too high but are also going to roll off pretty early no matter what you do. To be honest your best bet is to sell them and buy something that actually fits your needs.

BTW you need to delete that picture of the dual 18 XXX's. It makes me drool all over my keyboard every time I have to scroll past it.

Lol.  The drivers have been in crates for 3 years waiting for an IB install in our new house...  Maybe next year I'll get it done...

Honestly? I would try IB first... Do you have a basement below the listening room?

IB and an EQ and hope you don't run out of power or excursion too quickly. Those subs are not going to be ported friendly for the type of ported enclosure a house requires. And with their high Q and high Fs they need a large sealed enclosure to not raise the Q too high but are also going to roll off pretty early no matter what you do. To be honest your best bet is to sell them and buy something that actually fits your needs.

BTW you need to delete that picture of the dual 18 XXX's. It makes me drool all over my keyboard every time I have to scroll past it.

Could you give me an example of how my poor driver choice will manifest itself?

(rolling off)

and also what do you mean when you say they are not going to be port friendly? 

Huge sealed box required and I wouldn't spend the money on the wood to house those things. If you have to use them as it has already been said do it IB. Wasting money on the drivers is bad, but even worse to waste it on the enclosure too as nothing worth a shit for Home Audio will work in the same box.

Huge sealed box required and I wouldn't spend the money on the wood to house those things. If you have to use them as it has already been said do it IB. Wasting money on the drivers is bad, but even worse to waste it on the enclosure too as nothing worth a shit for Home Audio will work in the same box.

^^^comment is one big bummer.  

It's probably worth saying that this is not a home theater setup. It's not a surround system. Is it a very directional, dedicated music system.

While I am aware that these drivers are not ideal, saying that they are a waste of money is a stretch.

M5, I'm not an SQ guy. let me put it this way..I'm the guy you probably hate who is trying to throw 700 square inches of cone area at smallish room in my house in a huge slot ported box. I want to work with you, but you cant do that to me man.

I don't understand what you want us to say...  We are trying to explain why the drivers you choose aren't really suited for home audio.  

If you don't want to hear what we have to say then just build the box in your pictures.

I'm saying lets move past the less than ideal drivers.

I'm aware they are not perfectly suited for what I have in mind.

I want help solving the problems that I have now

We did try to help you solve the problem. They won't work ported.....Q is too high, response will be peaky and transient response will be terrible. It "works" in a car for kids who don't care about how something sounds and the cabin gain fills in some of the low end which they will lack in a home environment. Sealed enclosure would need to be huge and you'd still have a high Q alignment with an early and steep roll off on the low end. Best option is to run them IB if you are stuck with those drivers. Sealed you could probably get by with 5cuft per driver if you don't mind the loss in transient response and don't really need response below 40hz. But I'm with Sean....for what you would end up with, I wouldn't want to waste the space and wood just to end up with something that was still substandard.

Why can't you sell them and use the money for a driver or drivers that would actually fit your needs ?

Some people just want bass no matter how it sounds, whether it's car audio or home audio.

No, that isn't what we are saying.  If you use those subs it won't sound very good.  If you don't mind it not sounding very good, press on with your build.

OR, sell the drivers and buy 1 or 2 that are intended for your application and be MUCH better off.

I would do Stereo integrity subs or obsidian they are great for the price and I used them both in Home audio applications for music performed great!

Edited by Dictator

house use 18's the space difference is very small.

Edited by Dictator