fong si

How to hit 150+db with 1 Fi BL12?

hey guys I'm looking to get to BL12 but wanna hit 150db or more. Any advice on enclosures AND what sort of amp or power do i need to accomplish my goal? my purpose is all out sol here to get a high score with 1 single 12" sub!

are you competing? 

I would say tuned high, a lot of power and a lot of testing.. Are you just wanting "loud" or really competing?

Edited by frogcase2002

If you're doing it for competition... burp box, invest in a meter for testing, and the most power allowed with solid electrical. 

I highly doubt you'll hit 150+ in a single BL12 setup that isn't aimed at strictly burping.

150 is tossed around a lot but is not easily achievable. What are your actual goals and what other steps do you plan on taking?

Strictly burp box,

Huge port, huge box. 

Lots of testing

This is my setup, currently at 151.4dB on the dash with a UFO BTL 12, on a DD Z1 with 2 modest batteries (drops to 10v on burps). 

IMG_3172.jpg

I don't care what anyone says that small boxes can be better. Bull...this is doing the same score as the system which inspired me...but on half the power. Guess why? 

Ummmm, I live in the carribean in an island called Grenada, the vehicle is a 1997 4dr Suzuki Escudo, aka vitara or sidekick!

Yes I will be competing! 

yes I have access to a db meter

Tell me straight what kind of a system i will need to setup to achieve this goal of 150db with 1 12"

hey guys I'm looking to get to BL12 but wanna hit 150db or more. Any advice on enclosures AND what sort of amp or power do i need to accomplish my goal? my purpose is all out sol here to get a high score with 1 single 12" sub!

We need  to know what vehicle,your electrical etc.

it is possible

I hit 149db with a single Orion HCCA 12" woofer with a Crown A3000gti amp

in a chevy x cab....if we had a hatchback I bet we could have added 3db

take in mind there were 2 alternators and 4 batteries as well as weeks worth

of tuning and moving the box around.....(it was a 44hz burp box)

the vehicle also needs to be properly sound deadened

Strictly burp box,

Huge port, huge box. 

Lots of testing

This is my setup, currently at 151.4dB on the dash with a UFO BTL 12, on a DD Z1 with 2 modest batteries (drops to 10v on burps). 

IMG_3172.jpg

I don't care what anyone says that small boxes can be better. Bull...this is doing the same score as the system which inspired me...but on half the power. Guess why? 

Do exactly this.

Strictly burp box,

Huge port, huge box. 

Lots of testing

IMG_3172.jpg

Smaller boxes CAN be better.. That's generally the case for 50-60Hz burp boxes, though.

my plans so far are:

the big 3 upgrade

alternator upgrade

additional optima yellow top batteries (1 or 2) plus I already have 1 for the engine.

rite now u guys have me thinking bout a different sub but to be honest i wanna build a box a lil more appealing in looks than a burp box. Can i do that an still achieve my goal? or as close as possible!

my plans so far are:

the big 3 upgrade

alternator upgrade

additional optima yellow top batteries (1 or 2) plus I already have 1 for the engine.

rite now u guys have me thinking bout a different sub but to be honest i wanna build a box a lil more appealing in looks than a burp box. Can i do that an still achieve my goal? or as close as possible!

You can have a pretty box, but you'll need to throw together a lot of boxes until you reach your final goal.. I wouldn't recommend making it pretty until you have your final design down.

Have you considered using ultracaps instead of batteries? You'll gain on the meter, along with many other benefits.

Smaller boxes CAN be better.. That's generally the case for 50-60Hz burp boxes, though.

Nope.  99.9999999% of the time, smaller = lower efficiency and more compression.  Your score goes up because of other reasons (shift in resonance) not because of smaller size.  The trick is to use the larger volume to increase your enclosure peak by manipulating tuning.  By simply making a box smaller with the same tuning will cause output to be lower overall, all of the time...

One of the biggest miss-conceptions in car audio...

Nope.  Smaller = lower efficiency and more compression.  Your score goes up because of other reasons (shift in resonance) not because of smaller size.  One of the biggest miss-conceptions in car audio...

Yes, but that still means that the smaller box is louder on the meter. Another misconception -  just because a larger enclosure is more efficient doesn't mean that it will meter better.

No, it will be lower than if you tuned the larger box correctly.  It's physics.

Obviously, there is also a point of diminishing return...

Strictly burp box,

Huge port, huge box. 

Lots of testing

IMG_3172.jpg

I burp @ 50. Every time I went up in box size, score went up :D

Obviously, there is also a point of diminishing return...

How about going past the linear xmax and losing motor force? 

so tell me guys, is the sub I'm planning to use capable of this? any experiences with this sub? or any other recommendations? both on a sub an a pretty box!

so tell me guys, is the sub I'm planning to use capable of this? any experiences with this sub? or any other recommendations? both on a sub an a pretty box!

Let us know a budget and we can recommend SPL oriented subs...

But until you give us a budget... DD Z ;)

If you gonna say DD-Z, i'll say Shocker Apocalipse.  The only current contender to the DD-Z successfully.