splxtreme

Equal Loudness Curve and SQ

Not sure if this is the right section but... I couldn't find any info searching on the topic. When doing a SQ system, is something like this graph followed? Or would it make sense to setup your system to follow the graph, and adjust your EQ accordingly to how the sensitivity of the ear is for a more balanced sound? My only thought I guess is that music isn't all recorded the same, so I guess maybe this wouldn't be useful.

Just a thought I had 

When you tune by ear, what do you think the resultant curve looks like?

If your ear is trained and you desire a "flat" sounding response it will indeed measure non-flat as your ear has differing sensitivities to frequencies. Do note that it also changes with level so choosing the level you listen to when gain setting is important. In particular if there is a noise floor that you must get beyond. When you aren't at least 10dB over the noise you will get frequency and loudness masking.

So again, another great reason to use your ear. wink.png

This is an audio forum.

Ears made this shit happen people.

Embrace em.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Not sure if this is the right section but... I couldn't find any info searching on the topic. When doing a SQ system, is something like this graph followed? Or would it make sense to setup your system to follow the graph, and adjust your EQ accordingly to how the sensitivity of the ear is for a more balanced sound? My only thought I guess is that music isn't all recorded the same, so I guess maybe this wouldn't be useful.

Just a thought I had

When you try to EQ system response to a particular shape on an RTA, it's called a target curve. There are dozens of different target curves people use based on dozens of different research, theories, studies, trials, etc......it's not a trivial topic by any means. And while none of the graphs agree completely, there are some general trends. Generally the bass is boosted, because that's what we like subjectively. Somewhere in the midbass or lower midrange it rolls off, back down to zero. Through the midrange it's generally flat for a bit and then in the upper midrange or treble it starts to gradually roll off again. So it does sort of follow an equal loudness curve in that the midrange is pretty flat and the highs are gradually attenuated, but we boost the bass to keep it subjectively pleasing.

The equal loudness curve is measured in phons not db's. If there was as much harmonics going on up high people would want to boost that too for the same subjective reason. There is not a lot going on in most music above 10-12k.

:(

Edited by Aaron Clinton