mikey5472

Couple of sp4 questions...

Ok. So i recently bought some BNIB SP4 from a local IAK member. Nice subs look great coils check out everything is all gravy with that. I have been out of audio a bit the last couple years and haven't been on here much. So I look up some things on the sp4's and I keep seeing articles of them catching fire. I had a Bl about 6 years ago catch fire, but I was a bit younger and was clipping the shit out of it. I keep reading and reading and most say it is user end failure. Also my specific sp4's have the spider spacer, and I go to the Fi website and they no longer offer that option.

So with that being said, why is that option no longer available? Should I be concerned about these subs catching fire? I am a bit more knowledgeable than I was when my BL caught fire, but seems to be trend with Fi. Not talking shit Just something that I have been noticing, just like I notice sundown has problems with baskets braking or any other manufacture having problems. If it helps out I will be running these 18's in a wall that is right around 12 cubic feet with interchangeable port on a single saz 3500 (also been seeing that these amps have a problem sending out straight dc current to the sub)

Do I have a potentially combustible setup in order? Is all the fires really user end problems? What is the real issue?

if there were any reports of a significant number of these woofers bursting into flames you'd hear a lot more about it. i seriously doubt the average user should worry about this at all. if you misuse/abuse your sub expect it to fail eventually. 

Um... Lol. Ask for the FOAD leads maybe? Had a local IAK memeber burn his up at 6% volume so..

if there were any reports of a significant number of these woofers bursting into flames you'd hear a lot more about it. i seriously doubt the average user should worry about this at all. if you misuse/abuse your sub expect it to fail eventually. 

That is pretty much what I have came to the conclusion of. The more I read on it the more i feel the user was not in a position to have a massive substage with such little knowledge. But that does not answer to my spider spacer question...

That is pretty much what I have came to the conclusion of. The more I read on it the more i feel the user was not in a position to have a massive substage with such little knowledge. But that does not answer to my spider spacer question...

I believe they stopped offering it because it wasn't beneficial. There wasn't really any coil rock to worry about, so they saved you a couple bucks.

I believe you're exaggerating the difference in subs catching fire with the tensile lead issue.

There were a lot more people coming out saying they had issues with the leads melting than fires.

I am going to run my SP4's on one of those big Korean amps soon and was wondering the same thing. If they fail I will go with Team subs...

I am going to run my SP4's on one of those big Korean amps soon and was wondering the same thing. If they fail I will go with Team subs...

some of the forum's tech team argued it has nothing to do with the amplifier. maybe i'll try to find the post. I believe problem was most likely from overexcursion of the woofer's suspension which damaged the tinsel leads. damaged leads would then fail/spark/overheat in some manner causing fire. 

There really isn't an argument.  Calculate current flow at the switching frequency into the rated inductance of the voice coil....

The whole HF burning the leads is nonsense.  Ohms law will help you figure it out...

There really isn't an argument.  Calculate current flow at the switching frequency into the rated inductance of the voice coil....

The whole HF burning the leads is nonsense.  Ohms law will help you figure it out...

i meant argued as in a scientific argument. presenting an explanation consistent with observations 

Gotcha.

I'm just going to run them. They will only be on 3500 watts total. If they catch fire so be it. But I think it will be fine. Funny thing about electronics, they dont like to be over pushed. And we all know how dumb speakers are.

i meant argued as in a scientific argument. presenting an explanation consistent with observations 

Only on SSA.

This is gettin' like Facebook, people asking the same questions, gettin' the same answers. Then wonder why either no one responds, or people start gettin' fired up.

Only on SSA.

I don't understand how it could be seen any other way without a re-write of ohms law...

This is gettin' like Facebook, people asking the same questions, gettin' the same answers. Then wonder why either no one responds, or people start gettin' fired up.

Like I stated in the very beginning, I have been away from the forums and audio for some time now. Afterbi asked the question at hand I found my answers after looking thoroughly. My main concern with the while issue was why was it all the amps fault, yet they changed the design of the speaker. Which a lot of companies make design "improvements". But they did do away with the spider spacer and switched to the FOAD leads. Which had me wondoring why. Now I know why... And this is nothing like facebook. I hate facebook extremely to much drama and I could care less about what you do all day.

Don't apologize for grammar...   Tons of things happen in car audio.  Sometimes we just need to take a step back and think about what people say before they are taken as gospel...  The whole Korean amps burning up leads thing is one of them.

There are only two ways this myth could be true, #1 Ohms law is wrong, or #2 manufacturers are providing incorrect Le measurements...

And I believe ohms law is correct. The incorrect measurements is possible. To me it is user error. Lets face it 95 percent of audio heads really don't know what they are doing. Hell I am puzzled sometimes there is always going to be more for us to learn. With that being said I went to google and just typed subwoofer on fire. Out of the first 3 pages fi was on there once. Most were bose or kicker I think even seen a couple sundown threads. My point is everyone has there favorite brand. And will find any excuse to "bash" any other brand that is just as good or better. I do not have a particular favorite or hatred toward any brand. All have pros and cons and thats how I weigh my Decisions when purchasing a product, with logic... I hate this phone

Just use your head when reading what people post.  If it seems to defy logic, well, it just may...

Saying 95% of Fi speakers catching fire is due to user error is a pretty bold statement sir.

So you know that for fact?

So you know that for fact?

Perhaps we could be 95% sure?

I think the subs are badass. I was just curious because I bought 3 SP4 15's dual 2 ohm subs after talking to Nick and they will sit at a funky ohm load on my Crossfire XS-8K amp. If they are truly dual 2 ohm subs I will sit at 1.33 ohms.

oh you got your self some FI flame logs huh ?