That seems bad ass man. I got a chance to hear 2 15" BL's with PSI soft parts and they sounded awesome. If/When my sub needs a recone im most likely going to go with PSI.

Thank you Sir

That's ridiculous. Why would you not get new soft parts from the company who actually made the woofer?

I agree, but in the same sense, it takes a long time to get recones from Fi/SSA.

That's ridiculous. Why would you not get new soft parts from the company who actually made the woofer?

I agree, but in the same sense, it takes a long time to get recones from Fi/SSA.

Except in this case the driver was an IA

Extra week or two for the parts designed for the sub is worth it.

A flatline is already a very musical sub, not sure how much of a difference the PSI re-cone would do to an already SQ driver.

A flatline is already a very musical sub, not sure how much of a difference the PSI re-cone would do to an already SQ driver.

you obviously dont understand subwoofer design. the correct softparts are absolutely vital to the subs performance. 

Well it seemed like it worked out...

the builder probably measured new ts parameters and built a new enclosure around it. i very much doubt it resembles the original. Or just go lucky.. 

you obviously dont understand subwoofer design. the correct softparts are absolutely vital to the subs performance. 

You misunderstand me. I'm saying that psi soft parts are not going to make that driver sound any better than it already did. In reality, it will degrade the driver, not help it.

You misunderstand me. I'm saying that psi soft parts are not going to make that driver sound any better than it already did. In reality, it will degrade the driver, not help it.

ahh my bad. i agree, the sub is definitely not performing as well as it would with the correct soft parts. 

How do you know it doesn't have the correct soft parts? You haven't even heard it so cannot make a judgement...

How do you know it doesn't have the correct soft parts? You haven't even heard it so cannot make a judgement...

how does psi go about sourcing the parts? how do they know or figure out the design specifications that Fi or IA used? we're not talking about off the shelf components used by all these chinese mass produced woofers. at best they could only reverse engineer the original design or produces something entirely different (ie. the frankenwoofer trend). 

Edited by lithium

Yes, that makes total sense, they're probably the exact soft parts, they call up IA and say send me your flatlyne parts so that I can recone your sub and slap my name on it.

Like I said, this was for a friend and not my driver, So I'm not sure how he went to PSI instead of factory replacememt. So it's not my place to say if he did right or wrong. All I was stating was how good the driver performs after being built by PSI.

Now as far as getting parts from the origional companies ?? Guess that would depend on cost and availiability at the time of needing the work done in a timely manner. From what I've seen at major events, PSI was building SEVERAL drivers over night for next day competition. I do not know of any origional manufacturer that does this.

I've never had a chance to demo an origional Flatline driver, So I have nothing to compare to or else I would be glad to give my thoughts on this. I'm thinking the guy bought the sub used and messed up and sent it to PSI.

So far, the results of this driver was a positive.

So as far as I'm concerned after Seeing the drivers in action in the SPL side of things and now seeing a musical built driver, PSI seems to do good work.

Edited by Cablguy184

how does psi go about sourcing the parts? how do they know or figure out the design specifications that Fi or IA used? we're not talking about off the shelf components used by all these chinese mass produced woofers. at best they could only reverse engineer the original design or produces something entirely different (ie. the frankenwoofer trend).

Did you go to your Vehicle's dealership to get an upgraded Alternator to work with your upgraded aftermarket stereo system ?? No, Most likely you went with someone that took the origional idea and made it better to work with your application. The aftermarket thing has been going on for years with cars and trucks. Where have you been brother ??

I'm sure I will not be able to ease over the local Ford place to buy replacement parts for my 1949 model vehicle. I have no choice but to go aftermarket.

Yes, that makes total sense, they're probably the exact soft parts, they call up IA and say send me your flatlyne parts so that I can recone your sub and slap my name on it.

Sorry brother, but this post is pure speculation. I have another friend that has a chevy Truck that is similar to mine. Well, His is a GMC and mine is Chevy. His has one of those well named audio aftermarket alternators on it and mine has a General Motors Upgrade off of a 3500 series chevy, but my truck is a 1500 series.

Now when you set the alternators side by side, they are identical. If it wasn't for the aftermarket audio brand being powercoated, you could not tell which one is which.

So did this well named audio brand (they have a section on this forum) steal ideas and / or parts from origional manufacturers ??

I don't know Guys.

Maybe at the time of my friend's need of work being done, nothing was avialiable from IA.

Out of stock ?? Who knows ?? But from what I was told, the PSI work got done in a very timely manner.

Edited by Cablguy184

Cableguy 184, those analogies were meh at best.....

Dangrebel stop being naive, we all know you like the company but im sure PSI doesnt have exact soft parts for every sub out there.

I could care less but what does it matter who someone send their recone too? Its their sub to do what they want with, if they want non factory parts so be it. You guys are arguing over nothing. Some people will use PSI at the end of the day for what ever reason and some people wont, that simple

I didn't say they have the exact soft parts, nor did I imply... But what psi can do is make the soft parts perform as the customer wants. Depending on enclosure and power. It's like the hotrod shop for subs lol.

the builder probably measured new ts parameters and built a new enclosure around it. i very much doubt it resembles the original. Or just go lucky..

A team member designed the enclosure for me. He designs all of our enclosures.

I built the enclosure for this build.

The other day I built an enclosure for a PSI built IA Flatline ported and tuned to 36 htz powered by a Linear Power 2202 amplifier for a friend of mine. This guy likes to be loud on music with no care for a meter reading.

Large enclosure for a Mini Van on about 550 watts of Class A/B power.

He Designed this enclosure to origional IA Flatline specs found on the net (So I'm told).

I wish I could get my hands on an origional IA Flatline driver just so I can Swap drivers and see if I can tell a difference.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone brother. I'm just posting my thoughts on a driver that I got to work with first hand. If anyone within a hundred miles or so from Jackson, Ms with an origional Flatline driver would like to meet up with me and compare drivers, Shoot me a PM so we can meet up some time.

Did you go to your Vehicle's dealership to get an upgraded Alternator to work with your upgraded aftermarket stereo system ?? No, Most likely you went with someone that took the origional idea and made it better to work with your application. The aftermarket thing has been going on for years with cars and trucks. Where have you been brother ??

I'm sure I will not be able to ease over the local Ford place to buy replacement parts for my 1949 model vehicle. I have no choice but to go aftermarket.

Sorry brother, but this post is pure speculation. I have another friend that has a chevy Truck that is similar to mine. Well, His is a GMC and mine is Chevy. His has one of those well named audio aftermarket alternators on it and mine has a General Motors Upgrade off of a 3500 series chevy, but my truck is a 1500 series.

Now when you set the alternators side by side, they are identical. If it wasn't for the aftermarket audio brand being powercoated, you could not tell which one is which.

So did this well named audio brand (they have a section on this forum) steal ideas and / or parts from origional manufacturers ??

I don't know Guys.

Maybe at the time of my friend's need of work being done, nothing was avialiable from IA.

Out of stock ?? Who knows ?? But from what I was told, the PSI work got done in a very timely manner.

the car analogy is pretty pathetic. find me one source to back up the idea that PSI can source replacement parts and rebuild a woofer to original spec. 

bottem line, if PSI could actually do this then companies like SSA or IA would probably advertise the service, right? wouldn't they want their customers to have access to quick reconing services? It should be obvious as to why they DO NOT endorse psi recones and recommend going to the manufacturer. 

A team member designed the enclosure for me. He designs all of our enclosures.

I built the enclosure for this build.

The other day I built an enclosure for a PSI built IA Flatline ported and tuned to 36 htz powered by a Linear Power 2202 amplifier for a friend of mine. This guy likes to be loud on music with no care for a meter reading.

Large enclosure for a Mini Van on about 550 watts of Class A/B power.

He Designed this enclosure to origional IA Flatline specs found on the net (So I'm told).

I wish I could get my hands on an origional IA Flatline driver just so I can Swap drivers and see if I can tell a difference.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone brother. I'm just posting my thoughts on a driver that I got to work with first hand. If anyone within a hundred miles or so from Jackson, Ms with an origional Flatline driver would like to meet up with me and compare drivers, Shoot me a PM so we can meet up some time.

then the enclosure build was a complete fluke. no reason at all to believe that the new woofer and the original have the same T/s specs without measurement. 

I didn't say they have the exact soft parts, nor did I imply... But what psi can do is make the soft parts perform as the customer wants. Depending on enclosure and power. It's like the hotrod shop for subs lol.

except PSI is doing nothing to improve performance over the original. 

hey randal, let us know when you recone the blues drivers with psi softparts instead of going to the manufacture. By your arguments, the results would be the same, right? 

the car analogy is pretty pathetic. find me one source to back up the idea that PSI can source replacement parts and rebuild a woofer to original spec. 

bottem line, if PSI could actually do this then companies like SSA or IA would probably advertise the service, right? wouldn't they want their customers to have access to quick reconing services? It should be obvious as to why they DO NOT endorse psi recones and recommend going to the manufacturer. 

then the enclosure build was a complete fluke. no reason at all to believe that the new woofer and the original have the same T/s specs without measurement. 

hey randal, let us know when you recone the blues drivers with psi softparts instead of going to the manufacture. By your arguments, the results would be the same, right?

Ok Brother, No need to bust my balls any further. Its aparant that you have an absolute hard on to discredit the name of PSI.

I'm cool with that. I was just posting my thoughts on a single driver and not necessarily praising the company.

Customer brought me a sub needing an enclosure build and I provided a service to get that customer satisfied. Nothing more.

Now we are moving on to the next project.

I got paid for my services and bought a case of Budweiser and some food for the BBQ Grille.

Done as far as I'm concerned. So I will Leave this one alone since I have absolutely nothing to do with PSI.

Now as far as the drivers that I used in my truck, They were built in the early 90s and to this day DOES NOT NEED ANY RECONES.

I could reinstall my enclosure / drivers tomorrow, throw a meter on it, and still hit a 137.7 db at 28 htz as usual

AND THEN PLAY through the Chesky Records Collection Disc with very accurate music reproduction.

I do not mistreat anything I own. I haven't looked to anybody for over 25 years to recone my drivers, So why should I worry about that now ???

Edited by Randal Johnson

Ok Brother, No need to bust my balls any further. Its aparant that you have an absolute hard on to discredit the name of PSI.

I'm cool with that. I was just posting my thoughts on a single driver and not necessarily praising the company.

Customer brought me a sub needing an enclosure build and I provided a service to get that customer satisfied. Nothing more.

Now we are moving on to the next project.

I got paid for my services and bought a case of Budweiser and some food for the BBQ Grille.

Done as far as I'm concerned. So I will Leave this one alone since I have absolutely nothing to do with PSI.

Now as far as the drivers that I used in my truck, They were built in the early 90s and to this day DOES NOT NEED ANY RECONES.

I could reinstall my enclosure / drivers tomorrow, throw a meter on it, and still hit a 137.7 db at 28 htz as usual

AND THEN PLAY through the Chesky Records Collection Disc with very accurate music reproduction.

I do not mistreat anything I own. I haven't looked to anybody for over 25 years to recone my drivers, So why should I worry about that now ???

wasn't criticizing your install at all. I was criticizing the idea that sourcing inferior replacement parts is preferable over getting the actual parts designed for the subwoofer. i dont have a hard on for shitting on psi but i do think there's value in having loyalty to companies you deal with. 

I understand you take good care your gear. i would too if I paid that much. But, accidents happen sometimes, screwdriver through the surround or something like that. i guarantee you'll get a recone from blues, not psi, not fi, not anywhere else. Because, it's blues' design and its blues' parts.

Extra week or two for the parts designed for the sub is worth it.

its worth quoting this again. 

I know what you can do Sir, Spring Break Nationals in Daytona Beach is this weekend.

Why don't you go down there and talk to PSI personally ??

I'm sure that they will be down there doing what no other manufacturer does, and that's building drivers on location for competition. They will be building drivers Friday and Saturday nights for next day competition runs.

Been doing this for the last few events there that I know of. Maybe you can get your answers there ???