Sign in to follow this  
ncc74656

opinions on system parts

oh man I had forgotten about this post. yes I do have a spectrum analyzer but I think that is a moot point.  I have spent all day today in the shop with my truck, playing tones, listening to distortions, comparing speakers with various specs, ect. The speakers I have now are shit... no two ways about it. they have a useable frequency response of ~ 180-850hz. past that you must cross over at 650hz to not have distortion up to 1500hz. they have more peaks in their response curve than a fat woman has folds.

I have already decided against the expensive drivers, the processor will be in a head unit if I can find one that looks good enough to me. that is TBD as I want a processor with high/low xover and at least a 9 channel eq for each output. 3 outputs for a 2.1 would be fine right now.

the following parts are what i have been looking at using in my system, does anyone have any thoughts (good or bad) on the choices here.

I have a few amps lying around that all have pass through (eclipse, audiobahn, alpine) so one of them will be used in this configuration for the remaining speakers.

2 JL ZR800-CW 8" midbass driver to be built in a glass enclosure in my lower doors.

2 Hertz ML700 2.75" midranges to be glassed in my extreme upper door and angled at the drivers position.

possibly 2 focal or hertz tweets, i have 2 alpine R tweets now that i think work very well so ill start with them and if they work well in this setup then great but if not ill swap to a different product.

a polk PAD4000.4 4 channel amp (with out pass through) for 2 of the speakers (mid bass and mid range i think). at circuit city we always talked about how great polk audio was (back in 06) but i did hear some things about them being made my PPI who is owned by directed and there quality having gone down the shitter in recent years. is there any truth to that?

ill be using the active crossovers on the amp itself and im grabbing a 1/3 octave EQ that (if needed) ill use to balance things out.

the subs will be Fi (i think either SP4 or teams but maybe BL). i have yet to work out the enclosure but what do you guys think of the parts above?

WAAAAAY TOO MANY INCONSISTENCIES with what you have and desire. First, buy yourself a Dayton WT3 so you at least know what the speakers you have ARE capable of...even if it comes w/ a output graph, every speaker has a different signature. THEN decide what you want for x-over points. THEN get yourself a legit processor. You are robbing peter to pay paul. Unless you have a spectrum analyzer, I would shoot for a pxa-h650 or ms-8 processor. Drop the coin, you will THANK yourself for years. If you want a stand alone crossover, keep an eye out on ebay for an old school JBL GTX-47. Theyre cheap, and they should have NEVER stopped making them. If all else fails, get an EQX and spend hundreds of dollars on drivers just because "they dont sound how I want"...btw, $400 for an MS-8 costs the same as blowing money on drivers

completely shit advice, please dont follow this. 

lets stick to the other thread for any discussion

Edited by lithium