Sign in to follow this  
Whatshisface176

Sp4 dustcap getting warm?

if you already have all the parts then just use what you have. when you are playing music you will hear an audible change in the sound when its distorting. having said this if you are useto hearing distorted music you may not realize what you are hearing. dont set your settings to explode, dont have bass boost on, dont turn your deck up to +11 bass, dont turn your gain knob all the way up, ect. the gain wont make the amp put out any more power but it will make it put out more power sooner in relation to your decks volume knob. once you start turning your volume knob up after your amp is sending max power thats when you start clipping things.in either case if the amp is sending a non distorted signal it is not capable of giving "to much power" to that sub.if you are using less than rated power on the sub you can place it in a larger box to reduce the load and increase SPL from it with less power.

I don't have em at "explode". I really do have everything tuned right. Besides the ssf until tomorrow. But i do know what distortion sounds like and i can assure that the woofer isn't distorting or have any clipping signal

in that case once you get that proper sub sonic you should be good to go. when throwing thousands of watts at a sub when it unloads it breaks down fast.

can't flip it 180?

I did once..... Almost tore off my trunk lid.. Not literally but you know... And the resonse was worse

you might gain some output with a wall off. which would let you take it easier on the sub. 

in that case once you get that proper sub sonic you should be good to go. when throwing thousands of watts at a sub when it unloads it breaks down fast.

the subsonic on his amp can do up to 35hz. 

can't flip it 180?

I did once..... Almost tore off my trunk lid.. Not literally but you know... And the resonse was worse

you might gain some output with a wall off. which would let you take it easier on the sub.

Yeah walling off sounds like a cool project but it's my daily driver.. Plus my dad bought the car (still in high school) and i don't think he'd be to happy if one day he couldn't look out the back window or sit people in the back seats if you know what i'm saying lol

Is that good or bad? Lol

well then its as easy as turning a dial. didnt look at the specs on that amp

can't flip it 180?

Yeah walling off sounds like a cool project but it's my daily driver.. Plus my dad bought the car (still in high school) and i don't think he'd be to happy if one day he couldn't look out the back window or sit people in the back seats if you know what i'm saying lol

no you wall off at the ski pass entrance.

edit: rear seat and everything else would remain stock. if the rear seats have a solid back than you want to lay them down. 

IMGP0166.jpg

Edited by lithium

Is that good or bad? Lol

it should be set just shy of you tuning frequency. so if you're tuned to 34, set it to ~30. 

of course the markings on the dial are never correct so you can set it correctly by ear or use a dmm. either of which i can explain to you.

Edited by lithium

can't flip it 180?

no you wall off at the ski pass entrance.

edit: rear seat and everything else would remain stock. if the rear seats have a solid back than you want to lay them down. 

IMGP0166.jpg

So how does this walling off work out? I'm assuming the picture is an example?

ya its an example. i'll find a build log for you to go through. 

basically you fire directly into the cabin. i'm sure some of the spl guys can chime in and give some examples of why its a good idea. 

i would assume that having your port and sub facing in to the cabbin creates more SPL for the obvious reasons of compressing the air in the cab vs the trunk?

To be honest, that is almost what it looks like considering that the box takes up almost all of my trunk space front to back, top to bottom and side to side

sub forward or up? 

oh then i would just seal off the trunk completely. seal around the ski pass and close off all the hole in the rear deck with deadener. 

you could be getting some interference/cancellation from the trunk. 

can't flip it 180?

My dad would Be Pissed lol if he couldnt see out the back

I guess i just feel like a noob with everything in car audio. Like when i start to get one thing right, another one is wrong... Idk how to determine how much actually power is going to the sub and how it's going to react thermally. It just seems like an endless amount of things to learn between the acoustics and car electrical...

i know exactly wut ya saynmorning.gif

Sign in to follow this