Sign in to follow this  
benbenondatrack

Another Sp4..Gone Down The Drain..

So my 1st sp4, caught on fire in my trunk, i was told it was user error (even tho i believe it wasnt) - as i own a Tripple stack btl, hdc 4, Mtx 9500, DD 9500, hdc 3 10s, xfl 12s, and none of them have caught on fire.. but now this Sp4, the damn lead came loose from the coil i guess? i took a pic of it. Im sure this will be ruled as user error (even though i more then likely will not agree with it) however, you guys are the experts so i was wondering if you could let me know what may have caused this.. Everything was perfect, 1 coil just stopped working..

1621874_10152028057153763_483959243_n.jp

I failed right where it goes through the triple joint area.  Something partially broke, resistance went up, heat went up, resistance went up more, etc, etc...

Alot of things can cause this, some user and some manufacturer.

What amplifier (power) were you running?

Yeah, you have way more power than the driver is rated for...  That is kind of a big determining factor. 

BUT, I am not saying this is the only reason you had a failure, you just need to keep it in mind...

Yeah, you have way more power than the driver is rated for...  That is kind of a big determining factor. 

BUT, I am not saying this is the only reason you had a failure, you just need to keep it in mind...

I appologize man, it was 4ohm. sub is D2 so i spoke wrong.

It just sucks man, cause this is my fav sub, and every time this happens i have to wait forever for the recone and run that damn Hdc4...which is nice, but i prefer FI. it makes me nervous about getting a Team FI

hopefully your new recone has the FOAD leads and lasts a bit longer for you.

your windings look great compared to mine when mine went up. if you do order a recone id recommend getting the fire dust cap.

i am just going to sell this thing and get some nasty 12s instead..will still be FI, but just not this sub anymore

When you sell it post it on here. I know some people who are looking for them.

if its an 18 ill buy it.

i am just going to sell this thing and get some nasty 12s instead..will still be FI, but just not this sub anymore

Grab some ZCONS man, or ethos. 

I wonder why this keeps happening? I have not installed my SP4's yet but will be afraid to beat on them much since I keep seeing this issue with the SP4.

i do not know, i do know that my gains were over pushed but i ran a BL that way for some time with no issue. that said they redesigned the leads to help prevent this.

Yeah but I don't have the new leads.....lol...I will set with o scope and see what happens

Sign in to follow this