splxtreme

winisd spl graph

I'm guessing it is vehicle dependent, but when you all are trying to plan out your enclosures. How do you all map out your graph on winisd if you even look at that. Say I was trying to build a box for my xcon that is not here yet :) and I wanted to build a box that was great for metal, but I still wanted a bump in the low end.

What would your graphs look like, sealed or ported? 

Depends on the goals. Why not put in the recommended and compare them. It will tell you more than we can and give you the opportunity to ask better questions smile.png

Depends on the goals. Why not put in the recommended and compare them. It will tell you more than we can and give you the opportunity to ask better questions smile.png

I plotted what I thought would look good and for the xcon in a ported box. I''m looking at a fairly small box with a low tune, and the port length is ridiculously long. With the recommended that SSA suggests, it looks like I have a pretty good peak at 32hz. Match that up with the transfer function and I've got some great low's over powering everything else. At least that is what it appears to me. 

If i go the ported route, I'm looking to make sure I can play everything and not having metal sound muddy. More than likely sealed will be the way to go, and the easiest, but once I went ported it is hard to go back, especially with the little amount of power you need to get loud.

if rock or metal sounds really muddy its probably a midbass issue not a sub bass issue. 

EQ1.jpg

Edited by lithium

if rock or metal sounds really muddy its probably a midbass issue not a sub bass issue. 

EQ1.jpg

At least I'm thinking muddy is the correct word. You may very well be correct with the midbass. With some ported enclosures the sound is either snappy on the kicks or they blend together with no distinction. So when the kicks blend together, this is what I think of as muddy.

EQ1.jpg

At least I'm thinking muddy is the correct word. You may very well be correct with the midbass. With some ported enclosures the sound is either snappy on the kicks or they blend together with no distinction. So when the kicks blend together, this is what I think of as muddy.

thats likely caused by poor frequency response. subs overpowering the midbass meaning they fail to reproduce the instrument (kick drum for example) correctly, which is perceived as sloppy. 

Edited by lithium

Muddy has nothing to do with ported/sealed and everything to do with an install/design issue.

I didn't ask you to model what you think is a box and compare, but the recommended. Modeling and using some generic "optimal" setting will only give you fail.