Lschevy

premade speaker pods

I found a website with premade speaker pods, how do you guys think they would work?

Customspeakerpods.com

I am actually talking with that company right now as I am considering some for my personal use. Someone on another car audio forum used them and gave some insight and seemed to be happy with them. I'll be doing the dual pods in my tahoe.

mounting the mid to the door trim like that is a terrible idea. make some baffles and mount them properly. 

mounting the mid to the door trim like that is a terrible idea. make some baffles and mount them properly.

Care to elaborate?

I found a website with premade speaker pods, how do you guys think they would work?

Customspeakerpods.com

Work, sure. Sound like shit, you bet. Last thing you want to do is mount a speaker on a floppy surface. Everything about installation is voided with those.

My main issue with them is that you have to modify/drill holes in your door panel...just modify the door panels to start with.  Why use a product like that if you have to ruin your door panels anyway.

But I guess it is a cheap easy way to add speakers, if that is all you want to do.

Ther golf cart kits look pretty cool though. 

Customspeakerpods.com

They are made from 1/8" ABS plastic, so they are thin and poorly secured and will resonant and vibrate like hell. They are designed to mount directly to the plastic door panel, which is also thin and poorly secured plastic which will cause the entire door panel to resonant and vibrate like hell. That's before we consider things like proper airspace, proper back wave separation, etc. If there were a list of terrible ideas to use when mounting speakers in a car, these would most definitely be towards the top of that list.

What about using sound deadning to make the pods more dense?

What he said...the only account I have found of someone actually using these was someone that put double layers of sound deadener on the backside and fiberglassed them to the door panel on the inside. He had nothing but great things to say about them, even after listening to them play. I'm definitely not set on getting these things, but I'm not writing them off either. I may just get them and see what can be done. I'm no audiophile, but getting clean sound can't take that much voodoo for me to be happy.

they're still attached to the door trim instead of the door panel. 

What he said...the only account I have found of someone actually using these was someone that put double layers of sound deadener on the backside and fiberglassed them to the door panel on the inside. He had nothing but great things to say about them, even after listening to them play. I'm definitely not set on getting these things, but I'm not writing them off either. I may just get them and see what can be done. I'm no audiophile, but getting clean sound can't take that much voodoo for me to be happy.

what so hard about making a baffle attached to the door panel? 

Please forgive my ignorance, but if I am to mount two speakers in a door that originally had one, isn't the common method to fiberglass the plastic door trim? Or am I missing something? This will be my first time doing a serious install instead of just sticking speakers in a door an amping them. Just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I dive in. Hopefully this is also helping the OP with their question.

Please forgive my ignorance, but if I am to mount two speakers in a door that originally had one, isn't the common method to fiberglass the plastic door trim? Or am I missing something? This will be my first time doing a serious install instead of just sticking speakers in a door an amping them. Just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I dive in. Hopefully this is also helping the OP with their question.

yes you might have to fiberglass the door trim but the drivers themselves should never be mounted to the door trim. 

I dont know exactly what you're planning to do with 2 sets of speakers in the doors. sounds like like a horrible idea. seriously look into methods for properly installing speakers.

As stated even if you were going to make them more rigid (I'd recommend fiberglassing them), then you are still left with them being secured to the flimsy door panel. By the time you put in the effort and cost to make these into a well executed installation, you would have been better off just staring from scratch as you would have to rework the whole damn thing.

1) 2 speakers playing the same frequency range in a car is a horrible fail 99.9% of the time

2) fiberglassing the plastic panel is a terrible idea. You'd be MUCH better off glassing something that allowed a real enclosure. There are so many options for this in a car, but one I would NEVER pick is a door panel.

3) sticking speakers in a door and amping them is Best Buy poor. Yuck sad.png

I think I am pretty much turned off to the whole door trim mounting thing after this discussion and some other reading. I am still curious why having two mids in a door is a terrible idea if properly installed? It is done countless times, it certainly can't be that bad? As to the best buy poor comment, that is why I am trying to do it right this time. I'm tired of being left with a mediocre satisfaction when everything is in.

I think I am pretty much turned off to the whole door trim mounting thing after this discussion and some other reading. I am still curious why having two mids in a door is a terrible idea if properly installed? It is done countless times, it certainly can't be that bad? As to the best buy poor comment, that is why I am trying to do it right this time. I'm tired of being left with a mediocre satisfaction when everything is in.

I would say the vast majority of installs in car audio are complete shit. It takes some understand of acoustics to explain why two speakers playing the same information is a bad idea. So if you google constructive and destructive interference you could read about whats happening. In a very basic sense it means that if two sources are reproducing the same information it will result in peaks and troughs at various frequencies at your ear. 

Even if you dont understand any of that, think about why it would be a good idea to buy 2 sets of cheap speakers vs 1 set of good speakers. which would you think would sound better? 

I think see multiples more in SPL geared installs, where sheer volume is concerned. Accuracy is already out the window at that level, lol.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Even in that example, multiples don't nessarily help increase SPL at higher freq. For Midbass and lower you can successfully use multiple drivers under certain constraints

I think see multiples more in SPL geared installs, where sheer volume is concerned. Accuracy is already out the window at that level, lol.

That is only because there is more stupidity in SPL geared installs.

That is only because there is more stupidity in SPL geared installs.
Not bass induced incoherency? :lol: