Sign in to follow this  
audiohz

sundown saz1200d crossover

Hi so I have a saz 1200d I'm trying to tune it an with the crossover having a wide range from 35hz to 300 I'm trying to find 80hz to 90hz...I have heard that half way was 80hz but Idk... I'm looking at it like the 300-35= 265/2= 132+35= 167hz would be half way with that math.

marking on the amp are never accurate. start somewhere around the 80hz marking and go up or down until it sounds right you. 

Well that's the problem the amp doesn't have any Hz label but 35hz to 300hz you don't have a 80hz

Probably should just do it by ear. Your the one listening to it so you will know when it sounds good to you. Even if you found exactly where 80 Hz is it mite not be right so I wouldn't just go by the numbers

Probably should just do it by ear. Your the one listening to it so you will know when it sounds good to you. Even if you found exactly where 80 Hz is it mite not be right so I wouldn't just go by the numbers

This. The number isn't important. What is important is the resulting sound. Tune it by ear to where it sounds best. That simple. Don't worry about what that number ends up being. As long as it sounds good to you, the number isn't important.

I kinda see your point on the number not being as important.. but it sort of is just to know your range... It would be like going to a shop an saying build me a ported box . Ok where do you want it tuned at 32h maybe 35hz or 38hz an you say ugh a number us not important....not trying to come off a a jerk just asking if any one knows...

then if you WANT to know the number, put a DMM on the speaker terminals measuring AC voltage and playing a certain sine wave.

When the voltage drops, the crossover's slope is past that point.

I kinda see your point on the number not being as important.. but it sort of is just to know your range... It would be like going to a shop an saying build me a ported box . Ok where do you want it tuned at 32h maybe 35hz or 38hz an you say ugh a number us not important....not trying to come off a a jerk just asking if any one knows...

There is not going to be an exact spot we could say your knob needs to be turned to to be at 80 . You can find the best spot it needs to be by listening. . . . With a ported enclosure you tune it where you want it. You do math to figure out the tuning. With the amp you can use equipment to figure out were to put it but its easyer to use your ears.

then if you WANT to know the number, put a DMM on the speaker terminals measuring AC voltage and playing a certain sine wave.

When the voltage drops, the crossover's slope is past that point.

Not really. The voltage will start to decrease BEFORE the crossover frequency. The crossover frequency is the -3db point (for a butterworth crossover) not the point where the signal starts to roll off. There is a way to do it with a DMM though.

I know, that's why i said slope instead of just crossover point.

I didnt know any other way to word it.

It's not important. At all. As long as you are happy with the sound.

A better analogy is to say you are listening to a ported enclosure and you enjoy the sound. Does it matter if the enclosure is tuned to 32hz or 35hz or 38hz ? No. If you are listening to it an enjoy the sound, then what difference does the number make?

The difference in your analogy is that we can't just sit and turn a knob with an enclosure to see how different tuning frequencies or volumes sound. It's not that simple, and the enclosure affects a lot more aspects of performance than a crossover. A crossover in your case really is that simple. Turn the knob until it sounds best to you. It literally does not matter if that ends up being 76hz, or 82hz, or 93hz. It does not matter. What matters is that you are happy with the sound.

Stop worrying about things that don't matter and focus on the things that do. The frequency does not matter, the sound does. That is the problem with this hobby....so many people worry about the shit that doesn't matter in lieu of of the things that do. That's what we are trying to explain to you. Stop worrying about the things that don't matter. This is one of them.

Set it to where it sounds best, not some arbitrary number you think it should be set to. Setting it to an arbitrary number doesn't mean you have it set correctly. Setting it to where you think it sounds best is the proper adjustment, whatever number that may be.

I know, that's why i said slope instead of just crossover point.

I didnt know any other way to word it.

The point is your method doesn't help him, at all. It isn't the right way to do it with a DMM.

I came from using old school kicker amps that's just used a crossover chip you put inside the amp.... So with this new style less focus crossover world would you start at 35hz an work your way up or start at 300hz an go down....

I would work my way up. Your not going to want it anywhere near 300

This

I would work my way up. Your not going to want it anywhere near 300

Sign in to follow this