Sign in to follow this  
eric-b

Stupid Question about Fi Enclosure

Ok I'm sure some will get a kick out of this, but this is my first time with an Fi sub.  I have everything wired up and just have to screw the sub into the box, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that.  It looks like the whole surround is metal with rubber on top.  There are some partial holes on the bottom of the metal but they don't match up with anything on top.  I'm just a little confused because I thought this would be the easiest part, and I figured I would ask before I go about damaging the sub with a drill. 

Sub is 12" BTL N2.  I've had it for years and never got around to installing it until now. 

Edited by eric-b

The gasket may have just turned it sounds like. Don't drill holes in anything. Post a pic if you can.

The gasket may have just turned it sounds like. Don't drill holes in anything. Post a pic if you can.

what he said.  gaskets slide aroundf freely o n the outside of the basket. spin it.

The gasket has holes and there are holes in the underside of the metal surround that don't go all the way through.  It doesn't look like there are holes in the top of the surround even when I peel back the rubber gasket.

The surround may cover the mounting holes. Take a pair of scissors and twist them in the hole. Take the gasket off first. Should be good to go ;) what sub did you get btw?

So I took the gasket off and there are definitely no holes showing on top.  Do you really need to poke through all of them on the bottom?  Doesn't seem right.  I put some pressure through the bottom hole with a screwdriver but it seemed like it would need a drill to break through.  It's awfully close to the sub and this just seems odd. 

It's not letting me post pictures, how many posts do you need?

Well anyways since I need more posts, the sub is the 12" BTL N2 from a few years ago.  It was still in plastic up until today.  Dual 2ohm wired to 1ohm.  Head-unit is a Pioneer DEH-80PRS, love it so far but still getting used to all the features.  Amp is an Elemental Designs Nine.1 (1200w rms@1ohm) Gonna see how that sounds for awhile and possibly upgrade later.  For the box I used the cutsheets from here to make the recommended vented enclosure.    

Sounds like a sweet setup you got there. Try up loading to the gallery on here if you can't photobucket them over.

It's been some years but when I bought my btl you had to poke the holes through. Should be like half ass stamped or something if I remember right

yea I bought this about 3 years ago and never tried to install it until now.  I'll poke through if I have to, just seems a little sketchy.. never had to do that with other subs.  I posted pictures in my member gallery.  I don't know if you guys can see that, not real familiar with the forums here. 

Sure looks to me like it's just the surround covering them. Try what I said earlier. Poke through from the back so you match the hole. Then poke it from the top to clear it up a bit. Put the gasket on and mount. Don't stress too much it's just foam ;)

Edited by puscifer2

Used a drill bit by hand to poke through the bottom and then threaded a screw in the top to make it a little wider.  Should be good to go now, appreciate the help guys.  Just wanted a confirmation so I don't ruin an expensive sub! 

Just remember give it a week or two to loosen up before you really kick it's ass. You should be more than happy with it. Fi builds some mean stuff. I run a 12" bl and love it.

I had to do the same thing when I got mine.

Brand spankin new basket. I thought they all came like that. Shouldn't be sketchy.

I'm jealous. Wish I had a brand new n2 lol.

I think they do. Ssa, Fi, Sa. I'm pretty sure all of them are like that new.

More amateur audio questions lol...

Hooked everything up and it's playing very quiet.  Amp turns on fine and I can hear the sub playing along with the music as it should, but it's very weak.  I'm thinking possibly need a better ground for the amplifier.  Running brand new JL RCA's so that shouldn't be a problem.  I adjusted the staging and EQ on the head-unit and it helped a little bit, but the stock door speakers still are stronger and obviously that shouldn't be the case.   

Double check the wiring on the coils of the sub and make certain you don't have them wired out of phase.  On rare occasions the black and red terminals can be on the wrong sides.  It doesn't happen often but it has happened.

Also check the gains on the amp. It's probably going to be an easy fix.

I'll check the sub wiring but I'm pretty sure I did that part right.  With a dual 2ohm you go positive-positive and negative-negative for a final 1ohm correct? 

The gains on the amp doesn't make much of a difference.  I moved it around from 1/4 to about 3/4 and not a real noticeable change, which made me think it may be related to the amp ground or something along those lines. 

Yes, you're correct in how it's wired for the final 1 ohm load which is why I mentioned the occasional mix up during manufacturing.  If one set of terminals was accidentally swapped it would look like it was wired right but it would in fact be out of phase.  When you set the sub cone down and look straight down at the motor the + and - terminals on each side should be opposite each other (on left side + on top - on bottom, right side - on top + on the bottom).  If it's not like that then one side was built swapped.

Again, it's super rare but it has happened.

Sign in to follow this