altoncustomtech

Great amp for running a complete active setup?

Ran across this on the eBay and thought it looked like a great buy, especially for someone looking for a simple all in one solution for an active setup.  The Zapco I5100 is a seven channel amp that is rated for 50wrms x 4, 25wrms x 2 and 400wrms x 1 all @ 4 ohms.  By bridging the 4 channel section you get a rated 175wrms x 2 plus the 25wrms x 2 and the 400wrms x 1 and the sub section is rated 600wrms x 1 @ 2 ohms.  

In my mind the 2 x 175 would be great for a mid, the 2 x 25 would be great for tweeters and the sub section great for many subs on the market.  It seems like a fantastic solution to simplifying an active setup as far as the amplification is concerned and at $270 it seems to be priced great as well.

Here's the link to the listing - Zapco I5100 $270

Just tossing this up for discussion and comments.  I'm sure since it's the Zapco I series amp it's not the same quality as their reference and competition series but I can't see it being a bad one either.

Curious how big it is. A pair of 900.4's might be the same size and would net even more flexibility...especially for those of us that don't care so much about the sub portion of the system.

The dimensions are 2.25" H x 10.75" W x 24.5" L according to the manual.  So yeah, it's not real small but essentially not much larger than two of the P900.4's end to end.

Good find!

I've always been more partial to multiple 2 channel amplifier setups, but that seems like a very nice amplifier !!!

looks like a nice amp, zapco would probably hold decent value. i agree with bridging the 4 channel section for a 2 way + sub. probably wouldn't run a 3 way + sub on that power though. 

I've always been more partial to multiple 2 channel amplifier setups, but that seems like a very nice amplifier !!!

Multiple 2 channels would definitely be more versatile, hell even multiple 4 channels as Sean had mentioned.  When I run across this my thoughts were simply that it would simplify the setup for such a system with only one power and ground to mess with, only having to find room for one amp, things like that.

looks like a nice amp, zapco would probably hold decent value. i agree with bridging the 4 channel section for a 2 way + sub. probably wouldn't run a 3 way + sub on that power though. 

My thoughts when I posted it was solely for the 2 way + sub type setup.  I definitely agree it wouldn't be enough power for a 3 way + sub.

I'd like to see someone make a nice bus connection for 4chn amps to do the same. Modular ftw. Although I love me some Zapco. Miss the ones I had.

Jl has a 6 (XD600/6) and 8 channel amp (XD800/8)

The xd600/6 has a very small footprint, smaller than the likes of the ppi 900.4 (granted the JL not as much power)

I have the XD800/8 waiting for install, and the footprint is significantly larger than the 600/6 almost comparable to my mono subwoofer amp.

In the warmer days Im gonna go active and the 8 channel leaves me options for rear fill or even bridge mode if need be.

JL manufactures and sells some great amps, I'd never argue that but that XD800/8 sure as hell isn't nearly as budget friendly as the Zapco.

In the warmer days Im gonna go active and the 8 channel leaves me options for rear fill or even bridge mode if need be.

Please refresh my memory  on multichannel amplifiers ... Say if you have a 6  channel amplifier and you only need 4 channels for your front stage and plan to run rears later. This will leave 2 open and unused ports, but the amplifier has those ports powerd up. Will this hurt the amplifier ???

Is there a way to disable unused ports (channels) ???

I've always understood that you should not have any unused active channels running on an amplifier ...

Like I said earlier ... I've only used 2 channel amplifiers and only used more if application calls for it at that time of the install ...

Thanks in advance ...

Randal, what happens if you have a 2chn amp. In one channel your signal is 1v in the other it is 0.001v. Does the amp care?

Randal, what happens if you have a 2chn amp. In one channel your signal is 1v in the other it is 0.001v. Does the amp care?

That's not what I'm asking ... 0.001v is still something going into that channel because it is physically connected to a source.

I'm talking about leaving the RCAs open with no load on the outputs, and the amplifier powered up ... Will it hurt the amplifier ???

Edited by Cablguy184

so if i set the balance all the way to one side that will damage the amp? no, leaving channels disconnected or otherwise can't hurt an amp.

so if i set the balance all the way to one side that will damage the amp? no, leaving channels disconnected or otherwise can't hurt an amp.

I would think that if you set the balance, that would be the same thing as turning the volume all the way down ...

If you have a source RCA hooked up to only half of the ports, what is the other side of the amplifier going to do ??

Is is just going to set there at idle ?? or being that you have only one power supply feeding voltage to ALL channels ... is is going to try and make some kind of power and create heat ???

Go measure air with your voltmeter. There is no such thing as "no voltage".

On top of that, if you have an 8chn and need 6chn bridge two. wink.png

Go measure air with your voltmeter. There is no such thing as "no voltage".

On top of that, if you have an 8chn and need 6chn bridge two. wink.png

Ok ...

If you take a 4 channel amplifer and set it on a test bench, and ONLY connect the ground, positive, and remote wires up and fire up a solid 12.6 volts ... the amplifier should set there at idle ??? or is it common practice to ALWAYS connect RCAs up to an amplifier before startup ???

What would happen if you turn the gain up in this application ???

You'd amplify the signal on the input channels.

Go measure air with your voltmeter. There is no such thing as "no voltage".On top of that, if you have an 8chn and need 6chn bridge two. ;)

Ok ...If you take a 4 channel amplifer and set it on a test bench, and ONLY connect the ground, positive, and remote wires up and fire up a solid 12.6 volts ... the amplifier should set there at idle ??? or is it common practice to ALWAYS connect RCAs up to an amplifier before startup ???What would happen if you turn the gain up in this application ???

No matter how you phrase the question, the answer is the same.

No, it will not damage or hurt anything.

Even if you use a shit ton of ellipses and question marks, lol

Go measure air with your voltmeter. There is no such thing as "no voltage".On top of that, if you have an 8chn and need 6chn bridge two. wink.png

Ok ...If you take a 4 channel amplifer and set it on a test bench, and ONLY connect the ground, positive, and remote wires up and fire up a solid 12.6 volts ... the amplifier should set there at idle ??? or is it common practice to ALWAYS connect RCAs up to an amplifier before startup ???What would happen if you turn the gain up in this application ???

No matter how you phrase the question, the answer is the same.

No, it will not damage or hurt anything.

OK ... Thank you Sir 

LOL ... Whatever

LOL ... Whatever
Here, you should read this and take note of when they should be used. It will help people not assume you are an idiot before even reading what you type. When it is a visual shitshow with all sorts of screwed up grammar it forces the reader to preconceive what to expect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis

LOL ... Whatever
Here, you should read this and take note of when they should be used. It will help people not assume you are an idiot before even reading what you type. When it is a visual shitshow with all sorts of screwed up grammar it forces the reader to preconceive what to expect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis

It is all good brother. I just do that to piss you off since you are the only one that complains about it.

Don't stress about it

Just makes you look like an idiot. Keep it up, at this point it just makes me laugh. Like always you won't accept help even when your way is jacked. Enjoy that attitude.