Sign in to follow this  
smashedz28

Aero port for 12" Icon

Have a 12" icon showing up soon and would like to get an enclosure ready for it. I've been using the bitpusher site to help me calculate the box. This is what I have so far

5d7972b902cd25f9be6f7283fba83633.jpg

Now I prefer to use a Single 4" precision port. I'm unsure how to calculate the entire port area I have with this setup. Reading through past threads and SSA's recommended 2.25 cu ft tuned in the low 30s. Also saw in a thread that for that size box I should aim for around 35 sq in of port. Pi * r * r doesn't calculate the length? Missing something somewhere maybe someone can help. Is a single 4" aero going to give me enough port area? Anything you see wrong here?

One other thing. Going off the picture I posted of the calculator. Would me entered measurements be outside measurements? When I draw out the box I want those for the outside dimensions so subtract the 3/4?

Edited by smashedz28

i was going to take at look at stephan's site but my antivirus is blocking the page. i'll have to send him a pm about it. anyone else have a problem? 

Now I prefer to use a Single 4" precision port. I'm unsure how to calculate the entire port area I have with this setup. Reading through past threads and SSA's recommended 2.25 cu ft tuned in the low 30s. Also saw in a thread that for that size box I should aim for around 35 sq in of port. Pi * r * r doesn't calculate the length? Missing something somewhere maybe someone can help. Is a single 4" aero going to give me enough port area? Anything you see wrong here?

there's a link on the page there for Aeroport which i'm guessing does the calculations for the flared portion of the port. 

the area formula for a circle is pi * radius squared. so 3.14 x 2 x 2 = ~12 sq inch. the length of the port corresponds to the tuning frequency. 

looks like you would want to do at least two 4" aero ports. 

i was going to take at look at stephan's site but my antivirus is blocking the page. i'll have to send him a pm about it. anyone else have a problem?

there's a link on the page there for Aeroport which i'm guessing does the calculations for the flared portion of the port.

the area formula for a circle is pi * radius squared. so 3.14 x 2 x 2 = ~12 sq inch. the length of the port corresponds to the tuning frequency.

looks like you would want to do at least two 4" aero ports.

What is Stephan's site? I keep hearing about it and would love to check it out.

I didn't download the file yet. Would need to boot up PC. I'm assuming the pre designed won't work for me as I'm height restricted at about 15". So port length determines tuning and I'm basically after just pi r squared to get the 35 sqin I'm looking for? Think I'll need more than 2 4" aeros then huh?

circles have no length, they have a radius which is half the diameter. when you say length,  assume you mean the length of the port (which is a cylinder). 

maybe a single 6 inch aero will work, you'll have to check the air speed for it. i think stephans site has a page for it. if space isn't an issue I would just build a slot port. 

Slot port is possible too at this point just never used an aero and I think it looks better. Dumbass me already ordered a. 4" precision port kit from PE. Not a big deal if I go with a slot port. I can find a home for it. Should have held off and asked questions first lol.

well just order another 4" kit smile.png

i like the look of the dimpled ones myself

edit. mmm im not exactly sure if one more would be enough. 

Edited by lithium

My thoughts exactly. A 6 isn't quite enough either and 2 6's is over too much. Hmm

http://products.soundsolutionsaudio.com/index.php/product-information/icon.html

check out the predesigned enclosures. might be useful for you. 

I didn't download the file yet. Would need to boot up PC. I'm assuming the pre designed won't work for me as I'm height restricted at about 15". So port length determines tuning and I'm basically after just pi r squared to get the 35 sqin I'm looking for? Think I'll need more than 2 4" aeros then huh?

looks like the pre design will work just fine. at a height of 14 1/2" it WILL work for my vehicle. problem solved. Thank you Lith!

oh boy. scratch that. 15" height was a bad guess. i measured and i have a max height of 13.5". going to need to work on getting something together. thanks for your assistance. This thread is about done as aero ports wont be used.

Check the cut sheets for a Fi bl. If I'm not mistaken the specs are the same but it's only 13 1/2" tall

Your right. Now to determine port area would I just multiply opening width by height? In this case of the bl enclosure it's 3" wide port x 12" height so it would have 36 sq in of port? Is that correct?

yes

Does anyone see a reason not to use the BL enclosure for an icon? Only thing I see is the volume is slightly higher. 2.25 vs 2.4 which I don't see making a huge difference? Size wise it fits the vehicle and port area seems to be about what I'm wanting.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/44519-bl-box-cut-sheets/

should be fine. doubt you would hear a difference between the two enclosures.