Hey guys, I have e12 d2 I got a while back from Jacobs yard sale, I was thinking it would make a decent home theater sub, Just want some ideas on tuning/aero port/ down firing?/ If anyone can help out Id appreciate

post-53706-0-99313000-1393807881_thumb.j

Edited by Jeshack314

over 45 views and no help? I know someone out there has a minute to help me with some ideas, i'm ready to build

Downfiring, have at least 1/2 the woofer diameter distance from the floor

tuning, tune low for HT, 20-30hz would be a start

aeroports are easier to use, but it's user preference really.

I'd post more but i'm sick as shit, everything sucks x_X hope that helps a little

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Ok, Thanks for the help. I know I want to tune low, but I know unless you do it right you can get a lot of port noise going ported. Do you or anyone else have thoughts on making it sealed? I live in an apartment and i can spare the loudness going sealed.

Ok, Thanks for the help. I know I want to tune low, but I know unless you do it right you can get a lot of port noise going ported. Do you or anyone else have thoughts on making it sealed? I live in an apartment and i can spare the loudness going sealed.

Large sealed is my favorite sound on average, it's smoother and cleaner; but that's just with woofers I have used myself (meaning any woofer can produce good sound when treated right). I just have never had enough surface area to stay sealed and enjoy the output (SPL nut at heart)

Ported gets nice and violent done right, but it is much harder to someone new to enclosure design.

I'd say build a sealed box on the larger side of recommended and if you need more low, try stuffing it (about 1lb/cubic foot of polyfill).

What kind of power will you be giving it? That will have a role in enclosure design. And, music, movies, or a blend?

Edited by SpeakerBoy

The recommendation for the e 12 sealed is 1.0 ft^3 on Sundowns site so you are thinking maybe 1.3 or larger? I do have torres just not the best at using it yet. For power I am looking at installing a plate amp so I can have more power and better crossovers/EQ. Something from maybe parts express. my receiver is an older JBL I'm currently running it L ported and around 2.3ft^3 probably seeing 50 rms or so. I am going to need so compensate for the guts of the plate amp.

And if i do go sealed I would like to double baffle the sub face so it will look clean flush mounted, and help out with the overall integrity of the box/flex

Edited by Jeshack314

I'm not the best at interpreting graphs. Kind of surprised someone else hasn't chimed in by now.

First thing I would do is make a port plug, and see how it sounds sealed. I'd plug it and test it for air leaks but give your ears a little to be unbiased from the ported box, and give it a listen.

Have you tried winisd. Pull it up on a graph and see what it looks like. It doesn't account for your room but it's close enough for government work.

close enough for government work.

Lol :P

Alright I just downloaded WinISD so ill post it up as soon as i can thx

This is what I got entering the Paremters I could find from sundown etc. Does she look alright?

post-53706-0-78918000-1393951212_thumb.p

Edited by Jeshack314

I'm going to mess with it in a lil bit, I could sure use some input from someone! thx

I'm going to mess with it in a lil bit, I could sure use some input from someone! thx

Nothing beats testing, especially when the board is dead lol.

I have no idea what the T/S parameters for that driver are, so I cannot tell you if it is suited for vented or sealed alignments.

For H/T ultimate extension I would lean towards a vented alignment, assuming the driver will work well in one.

If the driver is much better suited for a sealed alignment, shoot for Qtc between .6-.7.  Any lower and it will begin to sound lifeless, any higher and it will have too much ripple and start sounding crappy.

Sealed boxes sound no better than properly designed vented.

You only need to use polyfill if you cannot build the box big enough for target Qtc, this really never happens in the H/T environment.

I would do some research on what EBP is.  I would also do some research on the pro's and cons of each design.

There is nothing wrong with down-firing alignments, but you have the ability to alter the way the driver behaves when you load it close enough to a solid surface.  Normally, it will drop system resonance a tad, but that is about it... 

Theater subs ftw!!

Ya I want to start my build soon, just haven't had a lot of time with work. Hope to get started next week.

Here is me getting started like a 4 months later sorry guys, here is what i went with. Just used the ones Joex put up so I am not taking credit,

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 35.3 Hz
Vb = 0.72 ft^3

External Height = 10 in
External Width = 22 in
External Depth = 12 in

Port Width = 1 1/4 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.
* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

Front & Back = 22 x 10

Left & Right Sides = 10 1/2 x 8 1/2

Top & Bottom = 22 x 10 1/2

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 9 1/4 x 8 1/2
Extension = 16 1/4 x 8 1/2

Assembles like this:

Capture-3.jpg

here is it just layed out

post-53706-0-99521100-1405477041_thumb.j

If it is for theatre you should be tuning in the mid to low teens. For music it is a different story altogether.

I know it is very unecesary to Fiberglass such a small box but I had some spair resin and cloth laying around so i did it for the practive.

post-53706-0-17368600-1405477335_thumb.j

post-53706-0-80727400-1405477361_thumb.j

If it is for theatre you should be tuning in the mid to low teens. For music it is a different story altogether.

I actually have another plan for this box, I will show later

I bought the Jasper circle Jog from Parts Express, best tool I have ever used.

post-53706-0-70224400-1405477741_thumb.j

Good, didn't realize the timing of my comments.

Generically speaking fiberglass resin weakens an MDF box. Obviously with mat that probably isn't the case, but just so you know.

I bought the Jasper circle Jog from Parts Express, best tool I have ever used.

I need a better phone, these pics are such low quality ):