sundownz

Built Nightshade v.3 15"

I came in yesterday and built this bad boy... a customer had ONE unit on order for a bit and I got a pair of the Aluminum sleeves as samples so I am building this one and one other one this week (both with fat 8-layer coils and are single sub orders). These also don't call for any Gap ID sleeves as they use the fat coil -- so I have enough parts to make them :thumbsup:

-----

10006100_615761888479286_694056411_o.jpg

* Collecting the parts up.

1979086_615761878479287_903382448_o.jpg

* You can see the black coated aluminum pole sleeve in place on the pole but not Gap ID sleeve -- so the overall gap is still pretty massive. The "fat" coil fills it up nicely, though.

1939507_615761898479285_1680764904_o.jpg

* Starting the rear glue joint

1939819_615761928479282_2064540373_o.jpg

* Rear glue joint completed

1801145_615761985145943_883123721_o.jpg

* Prototype "XL" lead wire option. The XL spiders for the NS v.3 are EXTRA red in color. The stock spiders are a very faint reddish with smaller triple lead wires. These leads are prototypes for now -- we'll offer them later as an option for anyone.

1898603_615761965145945_690201643_o.jpg

* It was interesting to get these all in the terminal.

1076961_615762025145939_1494007637_o.jpg

* Finished product

1795171_615762001812608_1058027253_o.jpg

* Finished product

-----

So I hope to get it tested and dust cap on today :thumbsup:

Damn these subs now a days are beasts.  Nice pics!

Thanks guys smile.png I am very excited to be offering these in full soon -- production quantity of sleeves should be done in ~10 days. All of the sleeves are machined and then coated at local businesses.

I pulled the T/S spec today -- notice how low inductance is even with the massive fat coil. That is the pole sleeve in action -- and the NS v.3 also has a magnet ID ring and a pole cap ring... so triple faraday action smile.png

IMG_00001099.jpg

Yes that is right around 1/2 of the Re in terms of Le.

I need 2 of those Jacob.....

Pulled specs on the first one from the batch we built w/ Red Spiders + XL Leads. Other than the XL lead wire these are bone stock -- just a bit heavier MMS from the extra giant lead wires but otherwise basically a stock spec.

Stock gap spec is 74.5mm steel pole // 85.2mm steel gap OD... coil is ~82.5mm OD and 76.7mm ID leaving a gap of 1.35mm OD and 1.1mm ID.

I also offer a pole sleeve of 75.5mm (0.6mm gap) and an OD sleeve of 84.25mm (0.875mm gap) // basically makes the gap very similar to the Z v.2 model (tightest gap we ever offered) -- for guys looking to burp these; that will pair great with the upcoming SPL cones and spiders for a nasty high frequency setup. BL will shoot up quite a bit with those tight sleeves.

1972468_622280797827395_1550928039_n.jpg

Edited by sundownz

Sorry if it was mentioned but what is the Xmax on these drivers?

The sleeved pole Le measurement is most impressive. WOW

Aluminum pole sleeve + stock 4-layer coil = LE that is 1/6th of RE =)

X-Max varies per coil; but stock long coil is ~40mm one-way linear.

Just to clarify Jacob, the .9 Le figure was from a Aluminum pole sleeve and 4 layer or 8 layer coil?

I would assume 4 layer having the lower inductance but not sure. I looked at the pictures again and you were describing a build you were doing with the fat 8 layer. I am just curious how to replicate the extremely low Le figure you produced in a 15" model ordered from Sundown is all.

As usual thanks for all your help and videos. Love your products and cant wait to finally get my pair of NS's or worst case scenario ZV4's.

.9 Le figures are like that of JBL pro audio products with just a few mm of more travel. biggrin.png

Edited by chrapladm

Beast subs...

Just to clarify Jacob, the .9 Le figure was from a Aluminum pole sleeve and 4 layer or 8 layer coil?

I would assume 4 layer having the lower inductance but not sure. I looked at the pictures again and you were describing a build you were doing with the fat 8 layer. I am just curious how to replicate the extremely low Le figure you produced in a 15" model ordered from Sundown is all.

As usual thanks for all your help and videos. Love your products and cant wait to finally get my pair of NS's or worst case scenario ZV4's.

.9 Le figures are like that of JBL pro audio products with just a few mm of more travel. biggrin.png

The 0.9 mH figure is actually with a really thick 8-layer coil and aluminum sleeve -- we need to actually look at the RE to LE ratio 1.77 ohms to 0.97 mH (1.82 ratio)

If I use our 4-layer flat coil and the aluminum sleeve the ratio is super low... meaning with the same RE of 1.77 ohms the Le would be ~0.3 mH

I know you have a lot going on and will be doing the slamology event, but how long does it take to do a NS3 with aluminum sleeve and 4 layer?

I am not in a hurry but just trying to see how long it takes for estimates is all. Even though I really only have room for 15's I cant help but want to buy an 18 with 6" P-P when it is made.biggrin.png BUT for now these are amazing drivers with stupid low Le figures. I still cant believe how low of a number can be achieved.

Edited by chrapladm

Is the NS V3 designed to be in large ported cabinets?

I only ask because on every simulations if the cabinet is NOT large then you need about 6000watts or more to hit Xmax. If sealed then you need closer to 9000 or more.

Is the NS V3 designed to be in large ported cabinets?

I only ask because on every simulations if the cabinet is NOT large then you need about 6000watts or more to hit Xmax. If sealed then you need closer to 9000 or more.

And for a fourth order bandpass you need 15000 but be careful and use your nose.

I like the response simulation of the 6th order better than the 4th order. And even saying that I dont want to use those types of cabinets with a Le this low. If it was a driver with an Le like 4, 6 or 8Mh then I would. This would have been used in a small sealed design. BUT I dont have an amp that can deliver 10000watts. I know it is not NEEDED but I would like to always have double the power needed. Not always possible.

So to keep power needs down a simple vented alignment with about 5000watts was the best I could come up with. That being said it was a 3.5cuft enclosure tuned to 16hz using dual PR's. For everyone else doing a higher tune this subwoofer takes a MASSIVE amount of power to hit its limits. No wonder it so hard in the SPL truck Jacob video'd.

And what kind of power are people putting to these subs?

I dont know what can be delivered in todays car audio amps. I mainly use these for home subwoofers. I have some big poweramps that will power them. Do other users put 8000watts to a subwoofer like this in a car?

We have had customers running anywhere from the rated 2500 watts up to an amp rated for 6.5kw dropped to 0.5 ohm

So as time has passed did you ever build a 18 NSv3 and post any T/S for it Jacob?

I have a design that looks great for my HT using these woofers. But now I am very curious what one 18" could do. And seeing the new SA frame pics you posted with a possible 6" P-P I am very curious again. And how big is a shipping package containing a 18" NSv3?

Hope all is well for you and yours.

Edited by chrapladm