Lee Carter

Lee's Avalanche Build

:phatyo:

Looks really good, bet you can't wait to get it playing now.

wish I had more time to work on it. I work away from home every other week, then the weeks I am home, I have my 4 boys with me the whole time this summer.  Then I have several other vehicles that need attention too, so often the Lanche gets put off.  I should be working on it right now,  but I spent all day yesterday in the heat with the kids, watching the Blue Angels do their beach show here in Pensacola.  I am exhausted. lol.

But to the point of your comment,  yes- I am getting excited.

I am WAY above anything else I have ever built.  So I am learning as I go.  I have some vinyl that matches my leather to wrap the trim pieces with.   But I am trying to figure out how I am going to mount the trim panel- without it looking ugly.  Also need to figure out how to run all the power wire to the inside.  There's a pretty large grommet thru the firewall, but not sure if it will fit 2 2/0 and a 4g.  may go underneath the truck) 

Think I'll fool with that tomorrow.  

what should I use for the trim?  does it need to be heavy like 3/4 mdf?  or maybe some thinner hard board?   gonna have to pick something up to build the surround out of 1 piece.  the mid gate is 53" x 25 " there a bouts.  I was thinking building a 'mid gate replacement panel' then cut the  rectangle slightly smaller than the box, and rabbit in a 'slip' over if that makes sense?

if I use a thin hard board type material i can layer a smaller rectangle and glue them together.    

I basically don't want the bedliner to show around the edges, so I want the trim for overlap the box edge slightly, I am having a hard time explaining it though.

Sorry for the lack of updates.  Alot harder to find time to work on it during the summer.  Between the weather(rains every day in South Alabam)- and trying to spend some time with my boys while they are out of school- the truck gets pushed to the back burner.

We did buy a sheet of plywood- made a trim panel,  it isn't really to my liking though.  I'll snap a pic here shortly.  I am thinking I am going to use some quarter round to trim/attach the trim surround to the box with.  Just wondering how I am going to get the vinyl to look right over it.  Time will tell I guess. 

man that looks so good !!!

Where did you run your grounds at if you don't mind me asking

1 ground from each Battery runs to the engine block, and 1 run from each battery is grounded to the body.  Going to add another run off each to the frame too.

Well- as bad as this sucks...lost my job a few months back.  Pulled everything out (except the radio and alt so far) of the Lanche.  Can't afford to pay the notes on it any longer.

Luckily everything I bought for the Avalanche will cross over to the Burb.  Though that isn't a priority right now either.

So I bring this build to a close.  

So sorry to hear Lee. I enjoyed the updates on this one when it was a go.

Hope you get back on your feet man.

I'm sorry to read that.

I hope you'll find a better job soon.

Wish you good luck !

Worked it out to keep the Avalanche.  Then done some horse trading on Amps, and bought a few more items to finish the build up. Most likely start reinstalling everything next week..

Changes -

Sold my 1100.4 and bought a S800.4, as well as, traded my BC3500 for a BC5500.  Bought a dual Alt bracket and a Singer 350 amp alt.  Going to run stock alt/battery for the truck/ radio/ S800.4. and the 350a alt and 3 (or 4) Kinetik 1800's will power the sub stage.  Waiting on the Alt and the mids amp to come in, and I'll post some new equipment pics.

Good work getting it rolling againlifter.gif

I'd have posted pics by now- but its been a rough few day with my Grandmother hospitalized an hour and half away.  

I'll try to take some pics tomorrow of the equipment.  Stuff on the floor-

3 HC1800 Kinetik's

2 DSS ethos 15's

1 BC 5500

1 S800.4

1 Dual alt kit

1 350A Singer

Going to do the battery box this week.  Still need to figure out my mids and highs.  I have 2 sets of RE XXX6.5's I can run- OR some Massive Audio rk6's as well as summo 6.5 subs.  Run the RE's front and rear would be simple. Or run the massive comps up front, and the 6.5 subs as midbass.  Leaning to the XXX's right now. Not wanting to cut my truck up plays into this as well.

Got a msg in to T/M about some battery buss bars, but haven't heard back from them.  Some guys on facebook and about to build some too- may go that route.  or just wire them together.  I don't know.

OK- as I said- been doing some trading.  Finally took some 'new' equipment pics.  Also picked up a fourth battery that was local.  It was recommended to have 3 group 31's, but since I already had 2 hc1800, I picked up 2 more. 300 ah worth.  Traded the DSS's for some 18" Tantric HDD's.  Going to modify the box for the 18's.  Port will be a bit small- if it makes noise, I'll build another down the road.  going to try to have it playing by SBN.

3 of the 4 batteries(the other in still in the box)

IMG_20150217_140535_547.jpg

Taking measurements for the guys selling me some buss bars- they will be 7" between lugs, Mine are 6-5/8".  So I'll have a small gap between each battery.

IMG_20150217_140830_325.jpg

18" Tantric HDD's,  traded the DSS 15's.  I wanted 18's to begin with, so now I have them.

IMG_20150219_012207_355.jpg

Crappy cell phone pics...

IMG_20150219_143428_874.jpg

BC5500

IMG_20150219_012303_334.jpg

IMG_20150219_143459_059.jpg

Symphony 800.4

IMG_20150219_143411_979.jpg

Edited by Leedogg

Looking pretty sweet Lee. Can't wait for the install pics.

been working on modifying my box to run the 18's in for now...Subs wired , mounted, and box reinstalled.  Will start the battery box this weekend.  Buss Bars should be here Monday.  Hopefully by Tuesday we'll be running power and ground wires(again, lol).  I also recieved my voltmeters.  Gonna try to mount them in the headlight switch bezel 'cubby'.  

Jig to use my circle jig...

IMG_20150310_133227_645.jpg

Router bit only 1 " long...so made the circle cut- the jigsaw the rest, the sanded it flush.

IMG_20150310_161446_096.jpg

Port length adjusted.  Box is ~11.75 @ ~28hz after displacements.

IMG_20150311_190815_618.jpg

Learned I suck at soldering.  soooo...  (yes I insulated them well)

IMG_20150312_165047_670.jpg

Back in it's rightful place-

IMG_20150313_171105_270.jpg

Wowwwwwowwwwww

Monster opening in the Avalance, Nice!  How's it hit?

You may already have the power wire you need, but I just bought 75ft of 2/0 EB Flex for $157 shipped from Electron Beam.

Edited by Jasonc13

Dudddddeeeeee

:D

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Thanks guys.  Cant wait to get this powered up.  

Jason - I hope I have enough, I am using 2/0 Royal Excelene from a local welding supply.

Spent my afternoon getting my battery box started...looking pretty good so far...  put up for the night. hope to finish it up tomorrow.  I'll get better pictures tomorrow.  ahhh the joys of working in your driveway.lol

IMG_20150315_181100_425.jpg

And a locking tailgate at that :)

I always wanted an Avalanche man, tuned in.

Got some work done!  straight to the Pics....

Buss Bars showed up today!

IMG_20150316_160123_916.jpg

Lower portion framed up.

IMG_20150316_165010_126.jpg

Lid-

IMG_20150316_174621_857.jpg

Set in place-  will bed line it later.

IMG_20150316_180516_094.jpg

Test fit the lid

IMG_20150316_180908_128.jpg

My helpers...

IMG_20150316_182424_093.jpg

Yeah boy!

IMG_20150316_182443_991.jpg

Buttoned up for the night!

IMG_20150316_182802_305.jpg

Hoping to get the amp rack built tomorrow and amps mounted, and get the Dual Alt kit installed.  I wanna be pulling wire Wednesday.

liking the progress.