Lee Carter

Lee's Avalanche Build

LOL at the 100 Lee Carters.  I had 2 of the kinetiks up front and wired in the beginning of this thread.  But when I decided to run more than 2- I just put them all in the bed.  And I got the Alt bracket off a guy on F/B.  Nice piece- I paid 180 for it.  They were on sale- I think it is 200 now.  But it is a nice kit, and they include dual 1/0 inputs for you amp.(not using mine right now though)  I'll send you the guys info.

Jimmy zukauska facebook great guy great price

Yep- Great guy.

My bad...but you did get your from him

Awesome job on the alt's and under hood wiring! I bet your jazzed to get that part of the install done. Looking forward to more pics. :)

Yeah I did.

Awesome job on the alt's and under hood wiring! I bet your jazzed to get that part of the install done. Looking forward to more pics. smile.png

I am actually.  going to work on dash mods tomorrow to try to get the HU in with the RCA's ran.  Then wire in the 4 pin connector for the alt.  Picked up a relay today for that.  Then I'll let the bass hit. woot!  Then on to front stage.

Yeah I did.

Awesome job on the alt's and under hood wiring! I bet your jazzed to get that part of the install done. Looking forward to more pics. smile.png

I am actually. going to work on dash mods tomorrow to try to get the HU in with the RCA's ran. Then wire in the 4 pin connector for the alt. Picked up a relay today for that. Then I'll let the bass hit. woot! Then on to front stage.

Yeah wish I moved on to the front stage but my voltage drop and the fact I need to make some modifications to my sub box front stage will be but on hold

So i,didnt see anything for a front stage planned yet. You have that figured out? I was going to go with the cresendo mids,and f1 tweets cause all ive heard is great things about them, but nobody on this site seems to like them. Even tho they havent recomended anything else anywhere ive read. So personally i have no idea where to turn yet.

So i,didnt see anything for a front stage planned yet. You have that figured out? I was going to go with the cresendo mids,and f1 tweets cause all ive heard is great things about them, but nobody on this site seems to like them. Even tho they havent recomended anything else anywhere ive read. So personally i have no idea where to turn yet.

I ran them pwx 6.5 and ft1 tweets but got hated on fast...I like them but theres other stuff out there thats better try going to parts express and looking at the midbass they have on there

Right now front stage is going to be 2 sets of RE XXX 6.5 component sets.

Poor weather has killed my momentum.  S'posed to be 70% chance of rain thru thursday.lifevest.gif badmood2.gif

I did trim out the dash bracket behind the radio.  I was hoping this would clear enough room for my Knu RCA's, but it still wouldn't fit properly.  But it did make it easier to route wiring.   Also went to Walmart and bought some Scosche(?) interconnects, they have a shorter 'head', so the radio will fit flush.

I also trimmed out the excess wiring from my integration module last night. I wasn't thinking the first time-  way too much rats nest behing the radio bezel.  I can also use this time to work on mounting my volt meters as well.

Picked up some 3/8 ring terminals for the Alternators control and relay wiring. As well as, insulated wire holders to secure the 2/0 running under the truck, to prevent any chaffing.

Dash surgery pics...
DSC04366.jpg

DSC04367.jpg

DSC04368.jpg

Before-
2014-03-22145646.jpg
Edited by Leedogg

Man- what a week.  Finally stopped raining last night, so I thought maybe I'd get some stuff done on the build.  

First I thought I'd tackle the Harness for the Singer Alt.  Then I got to thinking(danger)...Mike said white wire to sense(as suggested- going to Alt terminal).  Blue goes to keyed on.  but suggested using a relay.  Why?  I mean the harness wire is TINY...how much current can it need?  I am just going to wire it into a fuse in the underhood fuse panel.

Any how- here is the finished harness.  will get installed tomorrow-

DSC04389.jpg

DSC04391.jpg

Next I decided to do a job I was avoiding.  Mounting the Voltmeters.  Been considering the placement for a LONG time- and just couldn't find a better spot than the H/L Switch panel.  I have a cubby that is never used- so I cut it out to mount then.  trimmed the top of one vm, and the bottom of the other and glued them together, then mounted them as one unit.

DSC04392.jpg

DSC04394.jpg

I then epoxied them for extra hold(and to fill in any gaps.)

DSC04396.jpg

Wiring done(I thought)-

DSC04402.jpg

In place- wires ran.  Also ran RCA;s and Remote wire for the amps though the dash while I was there.

DSC04407.jpg

At this point I tapped the power , ground, and remote for the H/U to the top v/m...and got nothing.  So I pulled them back out.(the h/l switch assy).  going to test the v/m's tomorrow, to make sure they work.  And go from there.

Voltage meter install looks clean jellybean! I don't have a clue about the relay, sounds like extra protection if for nothing else. Keep the pics coming!!

Finally, after realizing I tapped a blue/light pink wire...instead of the blue/white remote wire,  I have a working voltmeter. Doh!   Notice the 13.5 reading.  This was only shortly after start up, it runs around 12.6 while cruising.  (Keep in mind I am pulling from the radio- so it may be a few tenths low)  Crappy GM PCM controlled voltage.  If you turn on the headlights- it climbs to mid 13's again.  The only time is holds 14.4 it on initial start up for about 2 minutes.  Hoping the Singer holds the rear bank a bit higher.ninja.gif

crappy cell pic:

11057302_1086451438038208_33299274014032

Also hooked up all the rest behind the radio, and re-installed it for the last time.fing05.gif   Also note the pile of RCA's, remote, and voltmeter sensing wires in the floorboard.lame.gif   I have to get that ran, as well as Door Speaker wiring next.  But I am building a box for my neighbor, so mine is on the back burner again for a day or so.

Edited by Leedogg

WOW, you have really been busy with this build 

Is that Sarcasm?[/sarcasm] LOL  I feel like it is dragging on forever.haha.  I am just trying to do it right.  And I usually do, and redo, then redo again...before I get it where I am satisfied.

Not for my truck- but this is what I am doing today-

Box for an old school S-10.  Simple sealed setup.  Will house 2 Sundown E10's and a Soundqubed 1200.(My old amp).  

DSC04443.jpg

DSC04444.jpg

This is what you get when my lil helper gets the camera.LOL

DSC04448.jpg

DSC04453.jpg

Payback.haha-

DSC04460.jpg

Is that Sarcasm?[/sarcasm] LOL  I feel like it is dragging on forever.haha.  I am just trying to do it right.  And I usually do, and redo, then redo again...before I get it where I am satisfied.

Not for my truck- but this is what I am doing today-

Box for an old school S-10.  Simple sealed setup.  Will house 2 Sundown E10's and a Soundqubed 1200.(My old amp).  

DSC04443.jpg

DSC04444.jpg

This is what you get when my lil helper gets the camera.LOL

DSC04448.jpg

DSC04453.jpg

Payback.haha-

DSC04460.jpg

What kind of wood is that?

Says particleboard on the warning label, why no mdf?

In a word- cheap.  it'll work for his purposes.  Birch here is up to 49/sheet...dang.

Edited by Leedogg

Finished the S-10 box.  he is happy, I am happy.LOL  Back to my truck tomorrow!

Starting to look like a box

DSC04475.jpg

My Table Saw

DSC04476.jpg

Finished box.  

DSC04477.jpg

DSC04478.jpg

Been a decent day.  Finished up the S-10 box and help the neighbor install and tune it a bit.  Sound pretty good.  Also pulled the RCA's, etc, thru to my amp rack.  Taking a lil break, then I am gonna head back out hook up the wire harness to the Singer.  Wanna have the electrical all up and running before powering up the amp.  But it is killing me knowing that all I have to do is hook in the remote wire, and go boom.LOL

Pics from today-

Fresh Sundowns-

DSC04479.jpg

Beefy lil subs for entry level-

DSC04480.jpg

DSC04481.jpg

Subs loaded in box

DSC04483.jpg

In the truck

DSC04485.jpg

While he was finishing wiring up the amp, I ran the wires thru the Avy to the Amp rack.

No more wad of wires in my floorboard.LOL

DSC04488.jpg

DSC04491.jpg

Think my RCA's are a bit long?

DSC04492.jpg

Well- today is bitter-sweet.  

Hooked up the 4pin harness like Singer said to.  White wire to sensing point(ran to charging post), and blue wire to keyed on power.  Tied into the rear fuse block- replaced the fuses with the right ones, 350's to the amp - 200's from Alt.(they were all 150's from the first time I installed them)   I also hooked up the remote wire to the 5500, I just had to hear it.

Started the truck up and it doesn't seem to be charging.  My voltmeter shows 12.6 while running, or off.  I used my test light to verify that both wires were 'hot', and they were.   Well time came that I had to roll out to pick up my twins.  Got to their house(45 min drive), and it hasn't moved off 12.6 the whole way.  I had turned the sub channel off during the ride.  So once there I had to let it hit a lil.  Well maybe a lot.(for about 5 mins)  It was pulling down to 12.0-11.9.  But went right back to 12.6.  well the whole 45 min ride home we jammed out.  I'd let it pull down to 12.1, but each time it rebounded to 12.6.  I was expecting to drop a couple of tenths, and not recover.

Right now I am just frustrated.  I may be out 450 bucks if this alt is shot.  I bought it used.  I really think I don't have something hooked up right.  I'll dig more into it this weekend.

On the sweet side.  DAMN it hits something nice.  Got a good sound.  Heard no chuffing(I was worried with only 105" of port).  Got that 'Tantric smell' pretty quick though.  Amp and subs barely got warm after beating them a bit.

DSC04493.jpg

DSC04494.jpg

DSC04495.jpg

Sorry to hear its not working as it should, hope you figure out whats going on.

Small update-  Went back thru my emails with Singer and realized I wired the damn thing up wrong.  DOH!  So I repinned the connector right, and viola! charging.

Started the truck up and had 13.6 on the meter.  Alot better than the 12.5 I been looking at for 2 days.  So I headed out to bring my boys home., and during the 40 minute drive, it slowly made it's way back up to 14.0 by the time we got there. Figuring it had been charging its ass off for 40 mins, I hung out for a while to let it cool.  Then when I left for home- I saw that glorious 14.4 on start up,  and 14.1-2 when cruising.  at idle is sits on 14.0 hot.  I can deal with that for sure.

10150524_1091423417541010_75273943376581

Nice thing is-  Even when I pound on it, the voltage doesn't go below 13.0.

Also bought a cheaper Volt and ohm meter this morning to make sure it wasn't a bad reading. Checked the ohms on my amp...I am seeing .8 at the outputs.  the are dual 2 subs.  I was expecting .5.   Does it affect the reading when they are hooked up to the amp?  Also how do you figure out the impedance curve?

These Tantrics pound pretty good though.  I am still running the factory Bose highs, Can't turn the H/U over about 20.  so the amp gain is turned up a bit, and just playing it by ear.  They have a slight electrical smell, but I've read that Tantrics are known for that.  after beating on them a bit, the amp and subs get luke warm, but no where near hot. 

Going to try to start on the front stage this week.

nice update! glad to see you not giving up to the 12v issue. Singer alts are still looking good to me