Lee Carter

Lee's Avalanche Build

Box looks great! I love that tool maker stuff

Had a pretty day here finally, so I started working a bit on the truck.  Started with the battery trays, Batteries and running a little wire.

Of course the hands always pay a price in my case...this is the first of a few.LOL-

temporary-2.jpg

Aux Batt Tray mounted-

temporary-3.jpg

Primary Tray mounted-

temporary-4.jpg

Batteries and terminals in...connecting battery Positive terminals-

temporary-6.jpg

These blocks make it look so much neater-

temporary-5.jpg

Taped ends red, Cut the factory Posi bracket drilled a hole to math a 1/0 lug, and bolted them togther and taped it up thick.  also have the trucks ground hooked up, and the 2 runs of ground to the engin in this pic.  This is where I left off today.

temporary-7.jpg

One last pic before closing the hood-

temporary-8.jpg

Well got the dual battery/big 3 work done before heading back here to work today.  Realized when hooking it all up that I forgot to order a fuse block to go between the batteries.  Placed one on order(2 1/0 in - 2 1/0 out)and used my 3in/3 out on in the meanwhile for mock up.  No fuses in it- so the 2nd battery isn't hooked up, other than the grounds.  Will this hurt anything for now?  Drove it 250 miles to work today, no issues so far.

Pics!

Need to finally order an Alt this week.  But it is wired.

10455767_881996558483698_805792891729291

10492388_881996701817017_837564478561110

Temp mounted fuse block

10481846_881996818483672_570906567715631

Battery #2 hooked up(but not fused in yet)

10489631_881996891816998_604992063135427

All buttoned up

10250147_881996978483656_354130896826895

In the above pic- the 3 fuse block will be mounted on the fuse panel cover, when I get the 2 fuse block in.  But I am doing a 21 day hitch this time, so it will probably be a bit before I post anymore updates.(though I do have my tools and door speakers here at work with me, just in case I get bored.LOL)

I cut my MAF off of the airbox and relocated to in front of the TB with a cone filter. An additional group 31 fits perfectly where the air box was. On my other Silverado, not my brand new one.

looks great

Thanks guys. 

Ordered my Alternator for Cande Shop llc,  They are on facebook, and have good reviews- so I decided to go with them.  Also ordered 2 inline fuse holders and a 10 pack of 150 amps fuses from amazon(For between Alt and Battery 1).  All that added up to 400 bucks.  But hopefully it is the last big expense.

It is funny that when I started planning this last year(planning to do this to my Burb), I had figured $3,000 to complete this.  I sit down and started adding it up, I am just a tad(sarcasm) over.LOL  I've always heard, in hot rodding, to take your planned budget and double it.  Car Audio is nearly the same.LOL  I have gotten some deals, and spent alot more in other areas that wasn't planned on.  And we never figure in the tools needed.  I have prolly 400 in tools bought, but now I'll have them for future use.  I could've done it cheaper, sure.  But I am stoked with the outcome so far.  If you are interested- as I like to see the real costs of stuff-  here's my breakdown so far...

price - items

$550 - Subs (Had planned to do 2 xcon 18's, but ended up going with DSS 15's.  Though now I wish I had waited on the DSS18's LOL)

$250 - Box Build / supplies (Not counting the 80 I wasted on the first wood I had cut wrong, DOH!)

$320 - Front Stage / Midbass (Massive Audio)

$400 - 2 Batteries and 2 trays (got 1 battery used saved 100 bucks)

$300 - Toolmaker parts

$250 - 75' 2/0 Royal Excelen welding cable and SHCA 1/0 lugs (May not be done in this area)

$500 - Pioneer AVH 5600 and install gear

$450 - BC3500  (bought used from W140 here)

$335 - C1100.4 (Crescendo's Black Friday sale)

$340 - 280A Alternator (Cande Shop LLC)

$60  - 2 1/0 fuse hosers and 10 150 amp fuses (amazon)

$400 - Tools and misc supplies

------

3,805 - Total.  So far.LOL  It is going to go over 4G's for sure by the time I am done.

Anyhow, mainly wanted to document where I am at.  Having the stuff I ordered today sent here to my work.  Since I am stuck here for 21 days.  I'll install those items when I get them.  And as i stated earlier- most likely work on the front doors too.

Cande Shop LLC in Florida, hopefully his alts are better then his work.

Cande Shop LLC in Florida, hopefully his alts are better then his work.

We'll find out.  I don't think he actually builds them.  But they have a 1 yr warranty, and good reviews so far.  I did see some of the Install work they posted on FB,  it didn't blow me away.  Figured I try this one, and if it gives me trouble- i'll drop the 600+ for a 320A Singer.

Yeah, I believe the "shop" that builds the alts is in the same storage unit place as Cande's "shop".

6635439_zpsb6efc6ba.jpg

I'll give him this.  I ordered yesterday morning...it has shipped already.  I'll have it tomorrow!   Fuses / 2 holders should be here monday.  Also ordered some shrink wrap from SSA(SHCA), hoping it will get here pretty quick too.  Going to replace all the red electric tape with the shrink wrap to make it look a lil cleaner.

Dammit- wrote out the post them closed the window on accident.LOL

Got the new Alt.  Pulled the truck into the hanger here at work and installed it.  The PCM contrals my voltage, so I guess I won't notice much until I install the amp and put some draw on it.  Seems to be functioning fine.

old vs new

WP_20140621_003.jpg

Backsides

WP_20140621_005.jpg

Installed-

WP_20140621_006.jpg

That's all for today.

Thanks Freddie.  Trying to be finished with the underhood by the time I go home- so I can focus on the amp rack then.

Sell me your old one... I need a good back up I can external regulate.

LOL-  I think I am gonna hang on to it myself, for a spare- being that this is a daily driver.

I hear you Lee because I just did my transmission flush and will do rear differential tomorrow. I had battery isolator for a while but disconnect it due to people said that I was losing a half a volt. I added the second battery tray but never used it. Lol. Have you ever thought about getting the dual alt bracket?

I have considered it.  I decided to stick to a single setup.

Well- I officially have a 2 battery setup.  had to pick up a couple of fuses to go between the Alt and Battery...I wish I had thought it out better...I'd have ordered a 4 in 4out block from TM...but it is what it is...But it is all wired and fused in, and seemingly working fine.  Talk about fast starting!LOL

On a side note- i need a shorter serpintine belt, due to the smaller pulley on the alt.  I also ordered an Airraid Jr intake tube, as the idler is rubbing on the factory intakes dongle.  The shorter belt should remedy this- but I wanted the intake kit anyways.LOL

Anohows-  the pictures.

WP_20140623_006.jpg

WP_20140624_001.jpg

WP_20140626_001.jpg

Should have my 2 fuse block next week- at which time I'll move this one to the other side.

WP_20140626_002.jpg

WP_20140626_003.jpg

nice that toolmaker stuff looks good

Should be getting my new intake tomorrow, and my toolmaker 2 fuse block by mid week next week.  I'll be throwing the Intake tube on by Sat, so I can go get a shorter belt.  When the TM Block gets here- I may start looking at getting the wire ran to inside the truck.  If work is slow this weekend- may mount the front components.  I am getting there slowly.  Think I have the baffle figured out too- just have to translate it from idea to actual wood.lol

OK- change of plans.  The fuses for the alternator are driving me mad.LOL  They just look cheesy.  Talked to Toolmaker- they are changing my order to a 4 fuse block.  Gonna delay things for a bit- but I wasn't really going to utilize the block for a few weeks anyhow.  I can still run wire without it.  When I get it- Ill rewire the Alt through the 4 way fuse also.

Intake arrived- installed.  Also replaced the 93.5" belt with a 93" off a 07 chevy truck.  That put the tensioner right back in the proper location.  (Why the Avalanche uses a different accesory drive steup is beyond me.)

WP_20140627_002.jpg

WP_20140627_006.jpg

WP_20140627_008.jpg

WP_20140627_010.jpg

WP_20140627_011.jpg

WP_20140629_001.jpg

WP_20140629_002.jpg

Edited by Leedogg

Box is in the truck.  fits like a glove!  now to work on some trim panels tomorrow.  Never built any- so wish me luck.

10494803_897351173614903_331682855844548

10384809_897351110281576_132926561940511

Looks really good, bet you can't wait to get it playing now.