Sign in to follow this  
Heisenberg

HDC3 & HDC4 coil and motor's

Hey everyone, this thread is me clearing up a few questions I have about HDC3's and HDC4's. 

These are the two subs in question. (so it's easy to reference )

HDC3:

http://www.soundqubed.com/HDC3118-Copper-Coil-Subwoofer_p_25.html

HDC4:

http://www.soundqubed.com/HDC418-D1-A-_p_137.html

We are talking about 18" only

Whats the story behind the high Fs of the HDC'4?

Was this a non broken in woofer or something? The suspension is that stiff?   (equivalent HDC3 is 9hrz lower IIRC)

Between the HDC3's copper coil & the HDC4's aluminum coil 

1. Can I daily an HDC4 on music?

2. Is there a large efficiency difference?

3.Why is the 4's coil an aluminum winding? Just weight savings and thermal dissipation?  is it worth worrying over?

Required cubic feet and port area?

Do they want the same?  &  What do they want?

Everyone loves pics..

First the HDC3:

HDC318_left_zpsfd35695f.jpg

Then, the HDC4

HDC418D1_right_zps0700e0a1.jpg

Lets see what everyone thinks.

p.s. Happy birthday M5

Considering I have ran both, talking about the 15s that is, they want the same cubes and port area.  I am guessing the difference in fs was due to two different tests. 

I daily the SHIT out of my HDC4s and I did with my HDC3s.  Hundreds of demos and counting....

Why would you worry about an aluminum coil?  doesn't make sense to me why you would be concerned with this in a 4 inch coil large motor sub like the HDC4, seems like you are worrying about nothing, build a box, hook it up, and enjoy, repeat with multiple subs and amps :)

My last question is about the HDC4's motors.

I noticed the motor weight of the hdc418 is 71 pounds and the hdc415 and hdc412 motor weight is 65 and 64 pounds

is the motor on the hdc418 a larger diffrent motor than you get with the other two sizes?

No motor is the same on all HDC4s

Thanks again Andrew, I couln't imagine that would be very cost effective to have a production motor that is only available in one size.

Whats the story behind the high Fs of the HDC'4?

Was this a non broken in woofer or something? The suspension is that stiff?   (equivalent HDC3 is 9hrz lower IIRC)
A. These test are done after eight (8) hours of play time. The FS will drop substantially once broken in.

Between the HDC3's copper coil & the HDC4's aluminum coil 

1. Can I daily an HDC4 on music?
A. You sure can! These things can get low, loud, and be musical with no worries.

2. Is there a large efficiency difference?
A. Not at all! Although there is a loss it's not substantial enough for most users to notice, it's minute. The benefits of the aluminum outweigh the loss that you may or may not see.The HDC4's even with its 4" coil will keep up with the HDC3 musically.

3.Why is the 4's coil an aluminum winding? Just weight savings and thermal dissipation?  is it worth worrying over?
A. Follow the link supplied for the Copper Vs Aluminum Battle: http://www.soundqubed.com/Copper-vs-Aluminum_ep_67.html

My last question is about the HDC4's motors.

I noticed the motor weight of the hdc418 is 71 pounds and the hdc415 and hdc412 motor weight is 65 and 64 pounds

is the motor on the hdc418 a larger diffrent motor than you get with the other two sizes?

The weight you see is Shipped weight and not motor weight. As Andrew stated these motors are exactly the same from the 12" model to the 18". This factor in motor size is true for all series of woofers from SDC,HDS,HDC.