Sign in to follow this  
Trevor Wilson

Getting back into this, need suggestions

First, a little history, it's been about 2 years now that I haven't had subs, I traded in my Chevy Blazer for a leased Cruze, so I didn't put my subs in it, I let my friend use them. Now I no longer have the Cruze, I now own an Impala. The set up I ran in my Blazer was 2 Cerwin Vega S.1000 amps strapped together powering 2 Pioneer Premier Championship Series 12s at 1000wrms a piece. I loved it, they hit harder than anyone elses set up that I knew and they sounded really nice. One of the amps ended up blowing, so I only have one of them now, and the subs are stuck in my buddy's trunk. Now I know 2 Pioneer 12s doesn't sound like it'd be the greatest system in the world, so I figured I'd come here and try something better.

So the reason I'm here, I have an empty trunk and I need suggestions for a new system. I want to replace the factory battery with a Odyssey, I have a new head unit, I have the 1/0ga wire, I have not done the big 3 yet, but will. I have a 2012 Impala so I have a decent amount of trunk space to work with. I suppose I'll want something in the 2000-2500wrms range with some decent sound quality at least, while hopefully being about as loud or louder than my last setup, if not just much better sounding. Looks like a ZCON is a possibility. Could anyone comment on quality or even against say 2 ICONs?

Is there a certain amp/sub combo I should try, enclosure type? Being out of the game I've done very little keeping up on anything, so I can use all the help I can get. Thanks.

Edited by TTW07

:WELCOME: to the fourm, and back to the hobby!  Fellow hoosier as well!!  Where about in the great state of Indiana are you?

I would assume that since you mentioned wanting something in the 2kw to 2.5kw power range that you'll be investing in a new amp and sub(s).  The ZCON is definitely a killer sub and from what I've read and who I've talked to does a fantastic job of sounding good as well as having monster amounts of output.  Keep in mind though that everything any sub can and does do as far as it's performance is completely and totally installation dependent and the biggest part of that is the enclosure.  Having the right enclosure will mean everything whether you choose to go with the ZCON, ICON's, or any other brand and model of sub that you've had your eye on.

There are several members on here who either currently have an install done in an Impala (or equivalent vehicle) or have done one.  They would be the best ones to comment on the enclosure sizes and tuning that would best suit what you're looking for.  Either way you're in good hands!

WELCOME.gif Take Alton"s advice, It's the install that makes subs sound great!

I live in Hammond, it's about as close to Chicago as you can be while not yet being in Illinois.

Thanks, my last setup was just a ported box I bought from Best Buy, I definitely want to do something higher quality this time, and yes I will be investing in a new amp/sub(s).  Good to know that there are others here with Impalas, and if there's anything I've noticed in the 15 minutes I've been on here, it looks like most of the members are pretty helpful!

Edited by TTW07

This is a great forum and most everybody is helpful and knowledgable.

Zcon yum!'makes my ears tickle!

I have had a Zcon 12" and a Zcon 15". Both amazing subs.

Both were ran off a saz2500 and both setups blew people away. They couldn't get it through their head that all the bass was coming from one 12" lol I also had the 15" in another setup. This was a VERY loud setup. I love these subs and also the gcon and Xcon.

Awesome, a ZCON it is then. Now I just need an amp and a box to go with it. I see it says build time of 21+ days. Does that mean around 21 days or just any possible length of time longer than 21 days?

Could be up to 21 business days. So 4-5 weeks

After hours of research, I pulled the trigger on an Fi SP4. It was really a toss up between that and the ZCON. For now, I'm going to feed it 1000w via my CV Stroker amp, until I can get a better alternator. No one makes H/O alts for the 3.6 LLT yet. Once the electrical is in place I'll put in a Crescendo amp.  Now I'm sure I could use some help with a box.

What size?

Niiiice choice in both woofer and Battery!!!  I have an odyssey in my install, a pic of it with the big 3 is in my profile pics and the model is in my signature.

Alright, so the sub finally arrived on Saturday the 19th. I have a sound stream amp with 3000 RMS that will be powering it, my wires should be here tomorrow. I have a Shuriken 140 battery going in the trunk and I'll have an Odyssey up front. Next step is building the box. I'm thinking of going for about 4.5-5 cubes firing toward the cabin and sealed off from the trunk. For this, should I fire both the sub and port forward? Or have one firing up?

Edited by TTW07

Fire both in, and seal form the trunk. Biggest box, most port area, is what I recommend for that sub.