Eroc3k

C1100.4-Need 6.5" components to match

Going through the terms and conditions of SQ system questions on SSA forums:

Just to add to my previous statement, I have owned (in the past {18 years ago before the wife and kids }currently own nothing) the following equipment ( i.e. amps, speakers, head units, etc.):

·         Pioneer

·         US Acoustics

·         Power Acoustic

·         MB Quarts

·         Phoenix Gold

·         Sony

·         Zeus Subwoofers (old school subs I think Hifonics)

And have listened to (a lot of mainstream companies but):

·         Eclipse

·         Rockford

·         Audio Bahn

·         Kicker

·         Infinity

·         Polk

·         Orion

·         PPI

·         JL Audio

·         Boston Acoustics

·         Lanzar

·         RE audio

·         Etc. this could go on for a while

So again everything I owned was many moons ago and I have nothing so im starting from scratch. My Skill level 1-5, 5 being the best I’d give myself a 3.5 to 3.75. I worked in car audio about 18 years ago. I would like to work with fiberglass and am considering doing the doors in full but would rather keep it pretty calm and easy to start. System goal is to have a great sounding system that is competition ready although I will not be competing for say. Budget again is about $4k for my total build at this time. (furthermore I’d like to add that competing in the future is not out of the question)  Again this is a 07 Chevy Equinox! As for likes and dislikes of previous builds and things I’ve heard. Pioneer has always sounded good on low low power. Clean for the most part and punchy.My US acoustics amps were beast and I wish I never sold them they were solid amps and sounds great, clean and powerful, cool and sleek. Rockford Speakers had the power but were IMO a little dirty meaning distorted. Again this was 18 years ago that im going off memory. Hated Sony seemed like there were a lot of issues with all  their car product. The Zeus 12” I owned banged pretty good on the power I gave them which wasn’t much but was clean. I think the US acoustic amp I used pushed 150 x2@ 4ohms but again SUPER CLEAN AUDIO. Eclipse sounded good and clean seemed like a pretty solid company back then. PPI was impressive I remember where I worked they offered a flat sub that was taking the  lead back then. Phoenix and Orion were great companies too. Awesome power. JL audio was impressive too. We had 3-JLW6-8” in a little plexi box in a VW beetle that I couldn’t believe how had it hit. Very Accurate. But it wasn’t a numbers thing back then it was just good ole fun.  I think the loudest I’ve heard lately was a full RE audio build with 4 SEX 12’s or maybe 15’s I forget. It was loud but IMO distorted at high volumes. I wasn’t impressed. Seems I’ve heard better on a smaller budget. Boston Acoustic was very clean and a great sounding system, warm and crisp. Polk and Infinity sounded ok too. Kicker had that power!.

All in all the best systems I’ve heard in MY life was two OLD school Rockford 18” in a hollowed Nissan hard-body pickup with a topper. Wall was cut out and the two subs were way in the back. MB Quarts mids and highs and I forget the amps he used I think Rockford as well. The other system was the VW at our shop with the 3 JL’s, Eclipse HU, and I believe MB Quarts mids and highs again and JL amps. My best system was when I ran the Zeus 12’s on US acoustic amps with all pioneer mids and highs on a little US acoustics amp pushing 25x4. Had a epicenter EQ on it too. Super Clean, punchy, accurate sound. Warm and crisp. NO distortion. Hit the low lows. The only thing it was missing was more power in my opinion. Now I’m looking for the same thing but with more power. If I were to state an amount of loudness I would guess above 130 db would make me happy.

Hopefully this is a little more info you might need.

Edited by Eroc3k

Just looking for quality equipment that's going to sound good, perform excellent, and last for a long time.

Perhaps I need a food analogy for you.

What is your favorite ice cream? Why is it your favorite? What about others don't make them as good to you?

Now realize the same questions apply to the front stage. Everything is personal. Sounding "cheap" isn't a descriptor as everyone has a different subjective response to cheap. If you described lacking detail in certain frequency ranges, or having a speaker that makes the s's too long, or some specifics it would allow us to help more.

My actual real guess in ALL the above installations is that none were even close to optimized and had they been you'd have a hugely different experience.

Hopefully this helps with 2 things. The first being why you should go out and listen and of course the 2nd in helping you package information that will allow us to help you. At this point, the best advice we could give is to buy a used set, something cheaper, and spend more time and money on the install and then decide what could be better about them.

Oh, I left subs out of this whole equation since that portion of the audio install is uber easy.

Oh, and when you type in black no one can read it. 90% of the mods and techies here use a black background...

You have a decent budget but no need to buy things just because. I would ditch the Crescendo 1100 and grab a Incriminator Audio 6.4 or the smaller one. Its around the same cost and much much smaller. The C1100 is a HUGE amp and isnt needed for your install at all, its almost as big as a BC5500. Alpine also makes good 4 channel amps. The Q is a great sub and will likely exceed anything you expect. I ran one for 3-4 years and it was a awesome sub. I would also just grab a Crescendo BC2000 and run it at 1ohm on that sub and just watch the gains or another comparable 1500w amp.

I have found that I really like the sound of JL components, I was also happy with my Rockford and Alpine sets as well. Proper sound deadening will make a huge difference in how it sounds.

Well the other person recommended Hertz audio and Helix audio, both are options that i can look into and perhaps hear at a local dealer if they offer it. I would never recommend Pyramid audio, Dual audio, or Boss to people telling them thats really what you should buy. Best thing ever!!!! I'm just looking for recommendations. Not trying to get into the physics of it all and where time begun and such. I'm not sure how else to explain myself other than saying im looking for something that sounds good and will last a long time. I want it to sound louder than my last builds and would like to do it right by all means. But would like a starting ground as to recommendations. Again I dont live very close to anything so for me to drive somewhere, I'd like to have an idea of where to go?   I mean if someone came to me and asked wheres a good ice cream shop is, I could say go there (wherever there is). Yes thats my opinion but thats a starting ground for that person to begin. I wouldn't send them to the local whore house because thats not what they are looking for. And I wouldn't send them to Wal-Mart cause thats a given and not what they wanted. I do appreciate everyones help. 

You have a decent budget but no need to buy things just because. I would ditch the Crescendo 1100 and grab a Incriminator Audio 6.4 or the smaller one. Its around the same cost and much much smaller. The C1100 is a HUGE amp and isnt needed for your install at all, its almost as big as a BC5500. Alpine also makes good 4 channel amps. The Q is a great sub and will likely exceed anything you expect. I ran one for 3-4 years and it was a awesome sub. I would also just grab a Crescendo BC2000 and run it at 1ohm on that sub and just watch the gains or another comparable 1500w amp.

I have found that I really like the sound of JL components, I was also happy with my Rockford and Alpine sets as well. Proper sound deadening will make a huge difference in how it sounds.

EXCELLENT ANSWER SIR!!!!

See I was thinking the same thing. The C1100 is huge and I guess thats what caught the eye a bit. Maybe I came off a bit strong with that but in my head I'm thinking I need something to keep up with that Fi Q.

( BTW you ran 2200 RMS to one Q sub @ 1ohm???)

Whats your opinion on the new line of Crescendo amps called Symphony series?? 

Loved the old school Alpine audio too! I'll have to look into  Incriminator Audio. 

Thank you!

Posted Today, 10:02 PM

swift, on 13 Mar 2014 - 4:42 PM, said:snapback.png

EXCELLENT ANSWER SIR!!!!

See I was thinking the same thing. The C1100 is huge and I guess thats what caught the eye a bit. Maybe I came off a bit strong with that but in my head I'm thinking I need something to keep up with that Fi Q.

Loved the old school Alpine audio too! I'll have to look into  Incriminator Audio. 

Thank you!

Well the other person recommended Hertz audio and Helix audio, both are options that i can look into and perhaps hear at a local dealer if they offer it. I would never recommend Pyramid audio, Dual audio, or Boss to people telling them thats really what you should buy. Best thing ever!!!! I'm just looking for recommendations. Not trying to get into the physics of it all and where time begun and such. I'm not sure how else to explain myself other than saying im looking for something that sounds good and will last a long time. I want it to sound louder than my last builds and would like to do it right by all means. But would like a starting ground as to recommendations. Again I dont live very close to anything so for me to drive somewhere, I'd like to have an idea of where to go?   I mean if someone came to me and asked wheres a good ice cream shop is, I could say go there (wherever there is). Yes thats my opinion but thats a starting ground for that person to begin. I wouldn't send them to the local whore house because thats not what they are looking for. And I wouldn't send them to Wal-Mart cause thats a given and not what they wanted. I do appreciate everyones help. 

Realize that then you will only get responses of what people bought. Not like people try 10 sets of components like you do ice cream. Go listen first, really.

EXCELLENT ANSWER SIR!!!!

Thank you!

if you were looking for output why did you buy the fi q? 

Realize that then you will only get responses of what people bought. Not like people try 10 sets of components like you do ice cream. Go listen first, really.

I understand your point really. What I am asking though (which I did find a Hertz dealer close by) is for a recommendation of what to listen to and review/research. If you wanted a fast car I'm not sending you to a kia dealer I would ask your budget then send you where I think you would fit.  You want a fast car for under $35k look into the 350Z or Perhaps the S2000. Are there better cars for under $35k? probably but again thats a starting point. Reviews and opinions can go a long way. Again I thank you, I will check out Hertz audio tomorrow. Is there any particular model that I should consider? I am looking for a warm sounding and clean and powerful audio. I listen to a mix of musics, ranging from solo piano and jazz to drum and bass and dubstep. Now as the other person identified I am reconsidering my amp selection and due to my OCD would like the amps to match. I understand I could have BETTER results perhaps from mixing and matching amps but I choose to have everything the same. So with that said any idea how the new Crescendo Symphony line is? 

I understand your point really. What I am asking though (which I did find a Hertz dealer close by) is for a recommendation of what to listen to and review/research. If you wanted a fast car I'm not sending you to a kia dealer I would ask your budget then send you where I think you would fit.  You want a fast car for under $35k look into the 350Z or Perhaps the S2000. Are there better cars for under $35k? probably but again thats a starting point. Reviews and opinions can go a long way. Again I thank you, I will check out Hertz audio tomorrow. Is there any particular model that I should consider? I am looking for a warm sounding and clean and powerful audio. I listen to a mix of musics, ranging from solo piano and jazz to drum and bass and dubstep. Now as the other person identified I am reconsidering my amp selection and due to my OCD would like the amps to match. I understand I could have BETTER results perhaps from mixing and matching amps but I choose to have everything the same. So with that said any idea how the new Crescendo Symphony line is? 

EXCELLENT ANSWER SIR!!!!

Thank you!

if you were looking for output why did you buy the fi q? 

I've not purchased anything. But am purchasing as soon as I figure out all the in's and outs. I've researched for about a year on and off and came to a few conclusions. but wanted more answers. And as for the output I find that a 1500 watt RMS sub is high output to me. I originally looked at the SP4 but decided thats just too much right now.

People seem to be drawn to the Q because they advertise it as their Sound Quality line sub that gets very loud. Thats what drew me to the sub when I bought it. I was in the exact same place the OP is in. I wanted to do a nice loud system since I could finally afford to do it the right way now that I'm older. Had a vision of what I "thought" I should do and basically did it.

I bought a Sundown 1500, FI Q 15, Alpine 4 channel, Rockford Components for the front and ran my Alpine Type R 5x7 coaxials in the rear all in stock locations. I loved the setup and everyone that heard it was blown away as I was for a couple years. Now that I have alittle more knowledge and gradually went for more and more I realize some things I could have done better.

Even now I am kinda starting over for this new truck I have and will likely be going back to a simple, loud and clear sounding setup. Staging and how clean something sounds to me is two different things. Yes I would like a properly staged system but I have also heard a few SQ vehicles with perfect staging that sounded very dull to me and some I have heard sound incredible.

My opinion and this is only my opinion, some would disagree and say that it would sound like ass and Im stupid...idk

But I would do a good headunit that offers a nice EQ and hi / low crossovers.

A nice 1200-2000 watt amp for the sub. (the Q is fine and will get loud and clean. Mine did 147db in my single cab)

A good 4 channel amp, IA, Rockford, JL or Alpine, just a few examples. The new Crescendo line may be fine but idk.

A good set of components for the front, and a decent set of coaxials for the rear fill if you want to. It wont hurt if you have a suv and have rear seat passengers alot. If your by yourself more than not then just turn the gain way down on the rears or fade more to the front. Take the whole family on a trip and your not blasting the fronts while you listen to your kids BS teenie bopper music because you only have front speakers.

Make sure you sound deaden really well and if the installation is done right it will sound great and last as long as you want it too. Then after a year and the bass bug hits you can go really big and in the meanwhile you can read and learn what you like and dislike about your setup and improve from there.

Just my 2 cents

If I was going to do matching amps honestly I would either do Incrminator Audio because of the quality and footprint or I would go Rockford Fosgate or ZED for the same reasons. The large Sundown and Crescendo 4 channels are just plain huge and no way I would buy one just to run my front stage unless it was a huge SPL build.

Again well said and thank you for your input! If im not mistaken Zed use to be US Acoustics. I would love to run ZED but thats a bit too steep at this time. And I do have kids so thats another reason I wanted to do the rear doors. Dont get me wrong once I have another vehicle to load down with audio then yes I will do it all by the book trying to get every bit of power and DB out of my system trying to beat the best of the best. Get stupid with some 8-15 or something crazy. But not yet smile.png

Edited by Eroc3k

Zed used to make US Acoustics, I do have some Zed Mikros for sale in the For Sale section. They are tiny and a more affordable, no frills amplifier from Zed.

Perhaps if you told us what dealers that you can go to carry it would help. wink.png Of course, you could just go listen to everything. Make them demo in cars though.

Perhaps if you told us what dealers that you can go to carry it would help. wink.png Of course, you could just go listen to everything. Make them demo in cars though.

Demo in cars? Didn't know they do that. All I've ever seen is soundboards.

Makes sense tho. I've heard a bunch of comps that were bad ass in the store, sucked ass in a car. Undoubtedly installed wrong, but still night and day different.

And again I say, I live in the sticks. Best Buy is the first closest audio store at 35 miles away. I've been to Best Buy and im not impressed. And as stated above a soundboard compared to a car are much different. What amp are they powering up the speakers with?" Wouldn't it make some sort of difference too? SO, The next closest store is about 60 miles away which I am DRIVING today to go listen to some hertz speakers. HOPEFULLY they have them on display (as i've never been to this store) or I would have just drove 60 miles to look at a box which i could have done online. Anywho thanks again.

You're not the only one who has that problem.  There's only two shops within 20 miles of my house.  One of them is the BIGGEST ripoff, scam artist owned shit hole anyone could ever walk into and they think Planet Audio rules all.  The other one is actually a fantastic shop with an owner and two guys who work there who actually know a REAL thing or two about audio but the place is so small they have no sound board even.  Hell for that matter the place is nothing more than a large garage but they do great business and can pull off legitimate custom work too.  The nearest Best Buy or city with any other audio stores is around 50 miles to the North or South of me so trust me dude I know the boat you're in.

You're not the only one who has that problem.  There's only two shops within 20 miles of my house.  One of them is the BIGGEST ripoff, scam artist owned shit hole anyone could ever walk into and they think Planet Audio rules all.  The other one is actually a fantastic shop with an owner and two guys who work there who actually know a REAL thing or two about audio but the place is so small they have no sound board even.  Hell for that matter the place is nothing more than a large garage but they do great business and can pull off legitimate custom work too.  The nearest Best Buy or city with any other audio stores is around 50 miles to the North or South of me so trust me dude I know the boat you're in.

Couldn't have said it better. I'm hoping the place im going to has a soundboard with them up or at least can some how demo them. And if not then that was a 120 mile round trip to yank my C*@K! I could call them and ask if they have a soundboard and can demo them... 

See thats why I ask all you good peoples on recommendations. I'd hope no one here would steer me the wrong way, which goes back to my research anyway. I mean to some degree we all have a common like in sound. no one is going to like pure distortion. Anywho thanks again! 

Yeah I'd definitely call first and it will do more for you than just let you know if they have a way to demo speakers for you or not.  Explain to them your situation, how far away you are, what you're looking for and to do.  Ask them about the brands the sell and the experience they have.  Ask them if they have an install log book or photo album of work they've done and lastly ask if there's any vehicles there to get a demo in.  Now, it's been my experience that if they're a decent shop they'll have the photo album and a vehicle or two to demo in but the biggest thing is that they will ask you what it is you're looking to do and achieve.  Now that kind of question is two fold as it is their job to sell equipment and they will want to try to sell you some but here's the catch.  A good shop will do that, make some suggestions, etc. but give you space and let you talk and explain stuff, your vehicle, experience, blah blah blah.  They'll spend some time without expecting much.  The worst shops I've run across ask up front what you're interested in, how much money you're going to spend, and will either push as hard as possible to make sale or not spend any time with you because you're really only looking and not that interested in spending money with them.  Both of those traits turn me away in a hurry.  

I travel a fair bit for work with training, meetings, etc. and have spent lots of time walking into shops to just check things out that I in no way planned to spend any money and I'd let them know that up front as soon as the first employee asked if they could help me.  The local crappy shop and a few others I've visited in other cities practically turn you back out the door which I've never understood the thinking behind that.  You'd think they would want to try to at least keep you coming back in.  The best shop I ever visited was in Tulsa, OK and I've not found another one as good as it yet.  They had the best sound room setup I've ever experienced, a fantastic photo album of the work they've done, and were the friendliest and most polite people you could ever ask for.  When I explained why I was there the salesman introduced me to the owner, showed me their shop and the work they had going on at the time.  He also showed me both of their demo vehicles and I was there over two hours just talking audio with him and the owner.

Damn I've rambled on forever, lol.  The point is, call first and verify that they have what you're looking for/to do and try to ascertain whether or not it's worth your time to go there or not.  If so then go and listen to as many speaker sets as they have available to listen to.  Keep in mind that a sound board will sound completely different than an in vehicle installation but you should still be able to get a fair idea of what you like and dislike about the sound.  Then come back here and explain your thoughts on it.

I'm at work now but will write back later. thanks again for all the info. I'll keep you posted