Sign in to follow this  
Miles

Lets get some Furniture builds in here!

I have built more boxes than I can even remember, but my real passion is furniture building. Woodworking in general is a great pass-time and can be very beneficial if you develop the needed skills past just putting mdf together. I would much rather work with hardwood than mdf/plywood. Anyway, here are some pictures of furniture I've built, and the age I was when I built them.

I'm leaving out A LOT of furniture I've build because I simply don't have pictures of them. I will try to get pictures when I go back to Kansas, because most of my furniture is furnishing my parents house.

Red Oak rolltop desk. I have roughly 160 hours of build time in this desk. Built this when I was 15.

4609_1005386635503_1850019217_5946_52397

Solid Red Oad Shaker style queen sized bed. I have roughly 70 hours in this bed. Built this when I was 16.

5169_1015856417241_1850019217_32043_1207

Red Oak entertainment center. The black is grill cloth so you can control the players without pulling the doors open. Built this when I was 19.

383112_324692207554186_714773009_n_zps09

real nice work man

Looks great!

awesome work, my family is in the furniture business, and mechanic busniness, you oughta make good money off that talent!

Im going to school to be an Agronomist (study of crops and soils) because i grew up farming and thats where my passion is. I'll probably always do this on the side.

Amazing talent!!!

So hard to make proper money with this type of work unfortunately. Everyone seems to think the builders time isn't worth anything. No one can see past the price tag to recognize quality.

I have a few friends who do custom furniture on the side. And an uncle who's a cabinet maker by trade. All have other jobs as their main source of income.

Edited by nigel

The only people ive seen make money with custom furniture is having a custom cabinet business be 90% of the income. Everyone needs cabinets, some will pay for custom, and very little of those people will want custom furniture. Nobody has a problem buying junk Ashley particle board furniture for $1000. But, spend $1000 on a piece of custom furniture that might not be as big? No way jose.. I just dont get it.

The only people ive seen make money with custom furniture is having a custom cabinet business be 90% of the income. Everyone needs cabinets, some will pay for custom, and very little of those people will want custom furniture. Nobody has a problem buying junk Ashley particle board furniture for $1000. But, spend $1000 on a piece of custom furniture that might not be as big? No way jose.. I just dont get it.

we need to see the workshop bro!!! are you laying these out like eggs??? 

I built most of my furniture while I was in high school, and we had an AMAZING wood shop. Sad thing is, my brother and I were the only ones to actually use it to it's potential. Everyone else just made cutting boards or glued random boards together to make un-square projects. Before we moved to Guthrie, OK we lived in Stillwater, OK, where I built roughly 50 boxes on the tailgate of my truck (hence why a lot of box pictures are taken on the tailgate of a white dodge truck). Only within the last year have I had an actual woodshop to work in. Its not big, but it's so nice to be able to work whenever I want. 

I have added a couple of shelves since this picture to get some tools off the floor, but this is my workshop.

2013-11-21_12-23-56_933_zps5e5a7770.jpg

very cool!!!

Wow, nice work.

End table I whipped out this evening for a co-worker. Breast Cancer Awareness themed. Top will have high gloss polyurethane and the rest will be pink.

2014-03-27_20-37-39_157_zps1fea397b.jpg

Shit man. REAL nice work here!!!

We had a custom woodworking shop near me when I grew up. They also specialized in 'antiques' and it was all FAR over priced, even when comparing to other shops.

J

freaking awesome