Godsmack

Need a little help with an idea

I've been contemplating this for over a year, and am seriously considering it now, and could use some input from you guys. I have spoken to Mark some over that time, and want more opinions.

Thinking of starting a rock review style website. Review new records (before they hit stores), concert reviews (with photos), interviews (once hits go up allow visitors to suggest questions), instruments and gear, rock style clothing and art, and news.

Offer a break down to sort out by band names, with links there to each piece about them (and links back), links to the official band site/FB, and links to purchase their music (Amazon, iTunes, etc).

Would this be something any of you would be interested in at all or am I really off my rocker here? Feel free to ask questions or offer suggestions.

J

how do you appeal to all types of people

Unfortunately, this wouldn't appeal to every single person. It would be appealing mainly to the under 35 demorgraphic. It would appeal to the guys and girls who are interested in rock demographic, not the pop music or just the major label artist's fans.

J

How do you appeal to different tastes in that demographic?

You could start a YouTube channel and use it as a testing ground for getting subscribers and views.

Different demographics are appealed to thru variety, and allowing viewers of the site to suggest bands they would like to see covered. the appeal is the change from the normal review sites. Not catering to only the big names but also the little bands. Ones that you may only see locally, or on the bottom of a set list. I would like to create an un-biased site to allow people to know what to expect when they plunk down their hard earned cash for a new album, a concert ticket, or a meet and great with a band they may not have met before.

Video is a bitch to properly do, especially at concerts. I would aim to do this (when possible) for interviews tho. Some bands will not allow it whatsoever.

J

I could word that differently.

How many "general" web sites do you visit. Perhaps I am an odd cat, but the ones I go to are very specific to cater to my needs/wants/interests. wink.png

Of course I also don't own a business...and won't until I come up with an idea that will make me >$400k/yr within a year or two.

The idea isn't to quit my day job exactly. If I can in time, great. If not, so be it.

I haven't found any to regularly visit. I look at a bunch of sites via good and suggestions via friends, but it seems like it take me 10 sites to see a decent collection of photos from a concert, and to find a review that isn't kissing every bands ass in the hopes of getting them to notice them. Yes I understand getting noticed is the main goal, I just would like to see it done in a more natural way.

J

Seems like it would be a HUGE undertaking to do the reviews yourself. Why not structure it like social media allowing members to add and comment on a particular subject/band.

You can then reap the rewards of exploiting members info like Facebook.

Seems like it would be a HUGE undertaking to do the reviews yourself. Why not structure it like social media allowing members to add and comment on a particular subject/band.

You can then reap the rewards of exploiting members info like Facebook.

Bingo

The idea long term is to provider a site for other photographers and writers to submit their materials for submission. If the site were to take off, I would like to help people get press credentials to help them build portfolios and hopefully allow them opportunities I cannot make available thru other publications for myself so far.

J

Waiting to hear back about using some old stock to build this idea.

Let's see how it goes.

J