Sign in to follow this  
airycsillest916

Blown After 3 Weeks of Play

So after having my sub for 3 weeks the suspension is gone on it angry2.gif . It is a DC Audio Level 3, i had it in a 3.4ft^3 box tuned to 32HZ running less than rated clean power to it (used a DD1). It never over heated to the point I could smell the coil but today it started bottoming out and i took it out of the box and could bottom it out with one finger. Did i do something wrong or was this a manufacturer error? 

post-53622-0-57104600-1395545894_thumb.j

Here we go again!

perhaps SSF set too low? 'unloaded' the sub and bottomed it out?  Just guessing...

perhaps SSF set too low? 'unloaded' the sub and bottomed it out?  Just guessing...

That could be it. SSF was at 25hz i think.

perhaps SSF set too low? 'unloaded' the sub and bottomed it out? Just guessing...

That could be it. SSF was at 25hz i think.
I wouldn't go no lower than 4 or 5hz below box tuning but that's me Edited by garychurch84

yeah ported tuned at 32hz.

I corrected myself lol

yeah ive heard some people say you can go 8-10hz below and some said dont go below 2hz tuning. maybe i just made a mistake.

This is how (Alton) explained it to me.

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:13 AM

There's a VERY easy way to set the SSF. Start by turning it all the way down and putting in a CD with test tones on it, no music. Start with something like 40hz and turn the volume up enough to get the sub moving. Now switch the tracks down one hertz at a time. As you near tuning you should see the sub moving less and less (while getting a little louder each time) then once you see the sub start moving a little more again you're a hertz or two below tuning. At this point go back and forth on the tracks and figure out which frequency the sub moves the LEAST and that is the tuning frequency of your enclosure. Now put on a track that is 3 to 5 hertz lower than your tuning frequency and turn it up enough to really get the sub moving good but without damaging it obviously. At this point you adjust the SSF up until you see the movement of the sub go down to at least half the amount it was when you started and your SSF is set with no guessing whether it's right or not.

I need to save that on my computer for quick reference in the future.

Worked to a T for me

Def going to do that once i get my system up and running again. I hope that there is some kind of warranty on my woofer.

Def going to do that once i get my system up and running again. I hope that there is some kind of warranty on my woofer.

speakers are stupid, it tried to do what you told it to but you told it kill itself. buy a recone, set the amp up correctly, and learn to use your ears and nose to tell when the sub is being pushed too hard. 

speakers are stupid, it tried to do what you told it to but you told it kill itself. buy a recone, set the amp up correctly, and learn to use your ears and nose to tell when the sub is being pushed too hard. 

yeah guess its time to recone. its going to be my first time doing it but it doesnt seem too hard. would upgrading to level 4 soft parts or maybe a psi recone be helpful with stiffer suspension?

Its a DC sub so use DC parts!

i figured id hear that lol. well i was planning on doing a complete rebuild on my car; trunk wall, new amp, new speakers, upgraded electrical so if anything this will motivate me to get on it.

Its a DC sub so use DC parts!

Or sell the motor and buy a different sub.

^^ Or that

i dont think i could get too much for the motor.

it would be worth the (used) value of the sub minus the cost for the recone kit. so if  it is a 200 dollar sub and needs a 75 dollar recone the motor and basket is worth 125. 

i figured id hear that lol. well i was planning on doing a complete rebuild on my car; trunk wall, new amp, new speakers, upgraded electrical so if anything this will motivate me to get on it.

wasn't you thinking about going with the ethos?I thought I read that somewhere

ill see what i can get out of it.

and yeah i wanted to but didnt have the money at the time. 

ill see what i can get out of it.

and yeah i wanted to but didnt have the money at the time.

he has lay-a-way