Sign in to follow this  
airycsillest916

Blown After 3 Weeks of Play

you guys sure it was the ssf that was the problem? I had mine set on 20 below tuning frequency on a pair of american bass xfls 12s on a aq2200 and the never smelled or got hot and they got pretty low and pretty loud with no clipping or distortion and I ran them that way for at least a year.. if set them 5 or so below tuning then they just wouldnt do what I wanted. but I did have them in a 5.5 cube box so idk if that had any effect. ive also heard some bad things about certain dc subs from local people.

you guys sure it was the ssf that was the problem? I had mine set on 20 below tuning frequency on a pair of american bass xfls 12s on a aq2200 and the never smelled or got hot and they got pretty low and pretty loud with no clipping or distortion and I ran them that way for at least a year.. if set them 5 or so below tuning then they just wouldnt do what I wanted. but I did have them in a 5.5 cube box so idk if that had any effect. ive also heard some bad things about certain dc subs from local people.

Yes, the most likely culprit is not having the SSF set properly.  You can't compare this experience to one you had with a completely different setup, you just can't.  There are too many variables, too many differences that play a part in what may or may not happen with one setup over another.  

Yes, the most likely culprit is not having the SSF set properly. You can't compare this experience to one you had with a completely different setup, you just can't. There are too many variables, too many differences that play a part in what may or may not happen with one setup over another.

I actually used the method that you said to that gary church quoted of yours.. I just figured id ask.. im by no means a expert or no half as much as you guys.. hell until about a year ago I didnt use batteries or h/o alts. I just figured my shit was as loud as I can get it.. untill I met casey and that dude that owns phantom sounds I didnt even no what a real system sounded like lol.. but im learning more and more from you guys everyday and when I post my build log I really hope I can get some real good advice..

ill see what i can get out of it.

i figured id hear that lol. well i was planning on doing a complete rebuild on my car; trunk wall, new amp, new speakers, upgraded electrical so if anything this will motivate me to get on it.

wasn't you thinking about going with the ethos?I thought I read that somewhere
and yeah i wanted to but didnt have the money at the time.
he has lay-a-way

imma have to look into that. they seem like bad ass subs. wish i would have been less impatient and just waited to get one. live and learn though.

And for future reference a sub that can be bottomed out by pushing it by hand, on a large output sub, would be covered under warranty.  Unless there is evidence the sub was unloaded and the joint came apart.  But it would take a ton of bottoming out to break the glue joint.

A suspension should not loosen drastically after it is broken in. 

DC subs seem to haha.

And for future reference a sub that can be bottomed out by pushing it by hand, on a large output sub, would be covered under warranty.  Unless there is evidence the sub was unloaded and the joint came apart.  But it would take a ton of bottoming out to break the glue joint.

I just checked the coil and both sides are reading out at exactly 2ohm so the  coil seems to be fine. when the sub was warm i could easily bottom it out by hand and even now after i took it out of the box and its been sitting on my counter i can still get it to bottom out. this shit is so frustrating!