Sign in to follow this  
Michael Lone-Wolf Werner

Xcon 15 18 vs Zcon 15

I am new to this and replacing my RE SXX 15 worried after a year it sounded cool, but the thing on E40 etc. to long might have to be turned down got a little smell.  I have looked at Xcon wanting something lower and only way I could fit an 18" would be in a sealed box, upgrading to try and get more low end, handle Hifonics Brutus 2400 better, and hit all day.  It will be one speaker guess everyone seems to call Xcon SQ sub more than Zcon,  15 would bolt in box net slightly over 3.55 aero port 6" might upsize box and run 4-5 4" tune it lower even in current setup probably tune it lower then RE was.  I looked at the Zcon 15 because of the better coil and actually sensitivity on sub seems better.  I know they say Xcon are under rated and not sure how much the Hifonics actually puts out but as it only ad on was an extra battery, big 3 and car voltage stays in 13s if not 14s 13s mainly at idle.  I got hooked on larger subs when I had truck and 2 Kicker competitions ported into the back, sealed and sensitivity lower but sound always got compliments on sound descent levels for me on a daily driver.  Tried the 4 12s more ear piercing then sound and lost low end or for myself preferred the sound of the 18s.  Only way I could do a Xcon 18 would be in a sealed box not sure how that would work, too bad they did not have some in shops in area but I never heard one and guess just wanting to buy the right setup.  Plus if we play a bass only disc something that will hit which the SSA line seems to be the way to go.  I am new at this and probably older than most of you doing this so please bear with me and any suggestions are more than welcomed.  I am in a rural area of only 6000 persons so I do not have the options of running to a shop like I did in Sacramento and looking at specs and outputs using box design software.  Hoping and trusting in getting help here.

:WELCOME:

Guess Zcon or Xcon 15" Sub, just not sure know the RE SXX 15 D2 got a little smelling bumping E40 had to be turned down not that much but even after what 2 years had to be careful.

• Brutus Series Monoblock Class NextGen Super-D Car Amplifier

RMS Power Rating (@ 14.4V):

• 4 ohms: 850 watts x 1 chan.

2 ohms: 1600 watts x 1 chan.

1 ohm: 2400 watts x 1 chan.

Ultra-Fi MOSFETS Circuit maximizing power efficiency while improving sound quality

Wired remote bass level control included

LED power (green) and protect (red) indicators

Variable Bass Boost (0 to +10 dB bass boost)

Built-in system diagnostics

Mono Channel operation

Preamp RCA outputs to daisy chain multiple amps

3-way protection circuitry (thermal, overload, and speaker short protection)

Heavy duty aluminum alloy heat-sink with illuminated Hifonics logo

Lighted connectors and blue wash of light from the underside of the heatsink

Input sensitivity:

Level: 200mV-9V

Variable low-pass filter (35-250 Hz)

Variable sub-sonic filter (15-35 Hz)

Frequency response: 10-250 Hz

CEA-2006 compliant amplifier

Dimensions: 18-11/16"L x 10-5/16"W x 2-1/2"H

Welcome, what exactly do you need help with?

If you read his post he is trying to decide what SSA sub to run between a Zcon 15" or Xcon 15" ported/Xcon 18" sealed.

If you read his post he is trying to decide what SSA sub to run between a Zcon 15" or Xcon 15" ported/Xcon 18" sealed.

I ask because supposedly he has already purchased something from SSA. Just wondering what?

18" Fi Q with high QTS.

I had two 18s in this and like the low bass and once in a while the sub head feel without worry of to much power to sub, told I loose sq on Zion and needed a larger box as now only have 3.5 net, but going to a 24 x 24 x 20 box, then port maybe 1 6" aero port or 3 x 4" ports just thought Zion was rated closer with my amp Brutus Brz 2400 and it did make other sub smell on E40 or bass mekank magic mike stuff just playing when tuning in etc.  2250 sub more voice coil or 1750 xion, so is the Zion only a balls to the wall sub and in right box not good on the sq side?  I ask because the truck below we ported in 2 18s told over power use small box change to larger box damn sounded great, do not want to have something that needs less box to use and turn down amp to use, but will hit when needed but still play well.  I guess without hearing them locally I just figure I ask others and avoid after purchase regret.  Reviews on store said Zion put out more did well as SPL and good sq as well was that wrong?  Would not the box sort of fine tune what you use and you can always adjust back bass never done it but you cannot get what you do not have.  I hate smell of speaker voice coil and embarrassing, e40 tunes old spl tuning or competition cd for fun push subs well, the quesiton was I looked at SSA's specs recommendation which I had to go to their other site to find, I did not see that much difference in box size a little but not a lot.  If correct, mainly at the Optima box size which seem to be added port area net was still around 4.19 compared to 3.84 of xion.  I am not the best at writing since leaving law firm, and just want to get the best sub for both sq and spl when needed not whimp out unless the sq is so great on xion the zion would be a down grade.  If I have this wrong on specs, but feel they should be in ball park again got the specs from here:

http://products.soundsolutionsaudio.com/index.php/product-information/zcon.html

20731_1283277889502_7459796_n.jpg

Xcon 15” Standard 30Hz                Displacement .2     GR 4.7              Net 3.12              Hz 31.77 Port A: 45.00

Box 35.5 x 16.5 x 17.4375

Port 3 x 15 x 32.9375

Xcon 15” Optima                                                           Gr 5.63                 Net 3.84              Hz 31.94 Port A: 56­

19.375 x 35.5 x 17.5

Port 3.5 x 16 x 32.3125

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zcon 15                               Displacement 1.9              Gr. 4.72                Net 3.1                 Hz: 35.50    Port A: 52.5

26.5 x 23.25 x 16.5

Port 3.5 x 15 x 30.625

Zeon 15” Optima                                                           Gr 6.32                 Net 4.19              Hz 32.31    Port A. 67.69

45 x 18.25 x 16.5

Port 4.75 x 14.25 x 34.875

SSA Design specs off SSA site.

This is reply:  "Yes, as I stated a few times before, the Xcon is fine if you set your
gains correctly.  If you want the Zcon just for the purpose of your
going to wail on the sub all the time"

What did you do in the law firm?

I guess was asking after seeing review on SSA site on Zion:

""

the one woofer thats right slap in the middle of sq and spl!! IcoRating5.png

Posted by Lantz Lewis on 5th Jul 2012

i have 1 15" zcon running 2ohms to a audioque 3500.1 and LOVE it.louder than the orionn hcca i previously owned, and the kicker solo x's. has GREAT sound quality. in my opinion, its the one woofer that has both sq and spl. i would recommend this sub to anyone wanting serious bass"

My education is paralegal and accounting, Sacramento, now just mostly help friends consumer issues or local problems, not active since disabled of sorts now.  Interesting had one guy a photograper who had a helicopter land wrong once and got hit in the head by a blade, federal court expert witness could not believe the cost and time to resolved the case never did took another job after 2 years and it was still going on, Sacramento was big but actually for me nice town.  Now little town of 6000.  No neighbors to complain :-) 

Right box, would the Zion 15 work well and still have SQ?  More port maybe for people want SPL 24x24x20 box and aero port I would of though be good on sound yet work when you want to show it off, older not dead :-)  goyou.gifjon.gifeek5wavey.gif

93 Db vs 89.6 old one with 90.5 sounded better with one then two of lower subs both good subs.

Current box net 3.58 sides are like 1.5 in spots to break in then go to bigger box anyone see issues please need to decide today if possible 03/25/14

Obviously you never had to use correct punctuation and grammar in your previous line of work. Your posts are HARD to read. The ZCON will sound great and get loud enough for you. Build the box within the recommended parameters and you will be good to go. It looks like you are using aero ports, you will need more than one 6" aero. Could you possibly squeeze in two? Three 4" possibly? Even that is on the low end of the recommended port area recommendations

Grammar always wondered what the heck that is when I am rushed have a friend who had a stroke and for that goes when I set and correct it, I past college level grammar to get my degree, but had to work and study it, English always had to work at for the most part I get buy but that was before the accident and disability from said accident if you need to know always get this grammar comments to me just takes away from the issue.  College well it's been a while for the most part just say what I need to say but anyways, how much port area is needed?  37 closer 2 x 6 would need a long port vs. 3 x 4".  

If not rushed I could guess use word and spell check grammar check evidently you got the idea.  Just have to try and put someone down.

new box can use 3 or 4 4 " believe the 6 be a little tough.  2 4" would have less port area then actually one 6" according to Precision Ports who made them we did this before I used one in RE Sub. 

50-62 using 4 - 5 4" ports

5x4" 62.80 p area, 25x25x21

could do two 6" but could not face port both up one up and one forward what 56.52