Michael Lone-Wolf Werner

ZCON 15 Sound Box Port Suggestions 2 ohm

Area for box max is like 27x25x21 middle might get 26 but already should be plenty big assume little under will work, will use 4 or 5 4" ports guess depends on effects of more port area on sub from what I estimated if right somewhere between 50-62 for port area, tuning preferred for all around sound and output.  Not sure how the speaker will react with a little more box assume it should be ok and went with Zcon just because power is little over Xcons RMS and box from site little bigger.  Hoping it helps low end, but any suggestions not sure if the Torres Tuning Calculator is correct and unlike when I lived in N California, there not real shops unless I drive 2 hours round trip then again, I do not know there work.  A friend said tuning it in area of 31-33 Hz claimed out put might go down with little gain in lower end.  I decided to ask before I build the new box and any suggestions would be appreciated.  I have not gotten the sub yet and guess little nervous first time I bought a sub based off specs and reviews since no shops in area, so if you have any suggestions please other than my writing is not the best.  Sub and it performance is my only goal.

Welcome to SSA.!!!! The zcon is an amazing sub. I love mine. Let me work some numbers and see what you have allowed for space. Also what kind of power for this sub will you be using?

D2/D1 Zcon 15"

34.1 / 33.6   Fs

6.65 / 6.74    QMS

0.27 / 0.27   Qes

0.29 / 0.29   Qts

266 / 274   Mms

810 / 810   Sd

67 / 67   Vas

93.2 / 93   Spl

17.74 / 25.2   Bl

29 / 29 mm    Xmax

2250w   RMS

0.22cuft  Displacement

Is SSA part of Fi/Ascendant?  Just notice it popped up a post.

Edited by MDWerner6942

Power Brutus Brz 2400 a least for now got a good price on it.

BRX2400.1D 1 x 2400 1 x 1600 1 x 850 N/A 18.68" x 10.31" x 2.52"

2400 watts At one ohm guess it did not show up on pasting, if Torres is right on size, box gross I should have room for 5.50- about 6.50 maybe 6.64, little room for adjustment but believe this should be enough, but I have not always been right.  Thanks

I wondered they keep saying for 2400 watts x 1 just to use the Xcon but larger box and power would not the Zcon be a safer bet?

Edited by MDWerner6942

To answer your question, Fi manufactures the subs for SSA.

Two different companies however :P

Edited by SpeakerBoy

I have a 6" port but told not enough port area, for either sub like 28 or so, vs say 4-5 4" ports not sure if 37 would be enough believe that is what 3 4" ports would be.

Edited by MDWerner6942

2400 w : the Zcon will like that runlaugh.gif

It can be a lot for an Xcon, but it would work. You don't have to use all the power you have...if the amp can make all that power ;-)
I wonder why you want to use so much 4" ports ? do you have them already, or do you plan to use pvc tubes ?

I like round ports, they can be adjust easily. but slot ports can be nice too, if the design is good.

good luck.

Specs off their site, my box overXcon specs, while with power 2400 x 1 and larger box Zcon seems good, just having trouble getting the sq inch they say it needs unless I use like 3-5 4" ports 50-68 port area,could be wrong port area but thought more port area helps keep things calmer inside and tuned right of course.  Thinking 31-34 Hz

Xcon 15” Standard 30Hz                Displacement .2     GR 4.7              Net 3.12              Hz 31.77 Port A: 45.00

Box 35.5 x 16.5 x 17.4375

Port 3 x 15 x 32.9375

Xcon 15” Optima                                                           Gr 5.63                 Net 3.84              Hz 31.94 Port A: 56­

19.375 x 35.5 x 17.5

Port 3.5 x 16 x 32.3125

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zcon 15                               Displacement 1.9              Gr. 4.72                Net 3.1                 Hz: 35.50    Port A: 52.5

26.5 x 23.25 x 16.5

Port 3.5 x 15 x 30.625

Zeon 15” Optima                                                           Gr 6.32                 Net 4.19              Hz 32.31    Port A. 67.69

45 x 18.25 x 16.5

Port 4.75 x 14.25 x 34.875

Edited by MDWerner6942

Anyone have another contact number tried calling to confirm change to my sub due to larger box and Zcon rated closer to box size then Xcon power using and larger box just felt be safer with Zcon 15 2 ohm but cannot reach anyone by phone.

Anyone have another contact number tried calling to confirm change to my sub due to larger box and Zcon rated closer to box size then Xcon power using and larger box just felt be safer with Zcon 15 2 ohm but cannot reach anyone by phone.

Honestly you should be able to reach them perfectly through e-mail contact. Aaron usually answered pretty quick

Honestly you should be able to reach them perfectly through e-mail contact. Aaron usually answered pretty quick

^^there ya go! Thanks Neal I'm on mobile and didn't have it

Zcon, 15-16 square inches of port per cube of internal air volume is good.  got that from SSA person

Edited by MDWerner6942

Seriously? Take the time to think out your posts because they are way to jumbled together.

Short answer response. Do you want to switch your order from Xcon to Zcon?

^^^ I AGREE VERY HARD TO READ.I thought I was bad.

OK - only left specs and responses to questions or thought I did.   I guess I should be more careful, but rushed this morning and since disability in 2002 it is harder for me to concentrate and write.  I was going to change from an Xcon to Zcon to gain little more power handling, and output.  Boxes I tried using Torres put box size more than the recommendation for that Xcon listed, plus since rating at 1 ohm on amp is over the rating of Xcon specs and need for larger box thought the Zcon would be a better fit.  I was told that the 15 Zcon needed, “15-16 square inches of port per cube of internal air volume is good.”  Now it seems boxes with 4” ports would be short of that. 

One person said one 6" aero port which is very low on port area, thought maybe 5.35 net box would work but more closer to 12 area onport relating to issue earlier on port per sq inch needed, then the 16.  I guess I was a little frustrated because they said to call and change order tried many many times but I could not reach anyone because no one was in the office or the number they said to call today has been busy.  Sorry, work, trying to get son going and etc. plus feeling a little frustrated over this I guess I screwed up.  I usually call the company and talk to their techs a least before now.  I also on here and SMD and sorry if I confused you guess trying to rush I did not realize it.  Punctuation was in my mind but not on here and since accident this happens more than not.  I had only built aero or sealed port boxes before, but 2 x 6" ports would be tough to fit and a pain, option on boxes would be over 5.21 net.   The specs listed were what I got from SSA sight.  Again, I apologize and guess like Ozzy over the years my writing is as bad as his speech at times again very sorry.   Little nervous since already gave them a hunk of cash just under $400 and wanted to do this right the first time.  I also thought the Zcon would be closer even though one then the lower in 2 15s I had then Xcon and most say the Zcon do well or their gods J  Sorry and did not mean to confuse or upset anyone guess grandpa screwed up again.

Edited by MDWerner6942

$69 difference from one sub to the other, but thought Zcon would hit better and still have a descent sound especially since limited to one sub. 

I use to use sealed boxes, but after using home subs and almost all my home speakers are ported one way or the other especially subs.  I have learn to appreciate a well-tuned box and extra output over sealed box, guess I feel in the right ported box sq. and SPL can live together.

I had one sub but before that I was using two Sundowns, so miss the extra output and just felt Zcon might bridge the gap between sq and spl.  Assume 93.2 Db at 1 watt is a good point most are 88-89 last one was 90.5 and did pretty good as a temp after I sould Sundowns.  I cannot fit two 15s now.

Edited by MDWerner6942

"To answer your question, Fi manufactures the subs for SSA. I got this from Fi contact,
"Sorry, but we are not affiliated companies.  We own Fi and Ascendant Audio." 

"To answer your question, Fi manufactures the subs for SSA. I got this from Fi contact,

"Sorry, but we are not affiliated companies. We own Fi and Ascendant Audio."

Yes that is correct, they OEM for SSA but they are not the same company.

"Sorry, but we are not affiliated companies.  We own Fi and Ascendant Audio." Fi Audio

"Sorry, but we are not affiliated companies. We own Fi and Ascendant Audio." Fi Audio

Not affiliated as not the same company, Fi builds speakers for SSA.

Would a 12 sq port area per foot be enough port area?  Or I could get more like 62.80 port area with a 14.31sq port area per foot?

Edited by MDWerner6942