David Jw Wild

HDC4 Break in Coil smell

HDC4 15.. Yes I know coil smell is not good at all but I am breaking these subs in with power now..  I first broke them in for a week with a nendo 2k at 20hz half power.. They are now on a CT sounds 7k.  The amp is DD1'd and the subs bang really hard.. But I am smelling coil smell when i am at the DD1 max volume set. after a few minutes.. I back down the volume as soon as I smell it and have recently turned the gain down a bit more..  Just curious how long I will smell this during the subs break in period.. They are wired @1ohm also.. so I know I am not overpowering the subs at all.. There is barely 3k going to them.. 

Opinions?

The DD-1 could cost you your subs, it doesn't have the best track record. 
I'd re-tune them by ear; haven't you read the pages of horror stories from people using the DD-1 on here?

Lotsssss of burnt up woofers from amps incorrectly setup using the DD-1.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Don't use the DD-1 to set the gain, plain and simple.

Yes, I suggest selling the DD-1.  Also, be careful with those amplifiers, read a few topics recently where people had them either go poof or just show up DOA with warranty fullfillment issues.

again- 1.5 times the recommended power, coils getting hot after extended play.  I'm just sayin.

The simple solution is to turn the amp down a bit.  Like the others said- just cause the DD1 says your aren't clipping at 40hz, doesn't mean you may not be at another frequency.

I lost an xcon due to trusting the dd1. I never smelled the coils in distress as I was running sealed so at least you had a chance to save yours when they got too hot.

Now is yhe time to avoid wasting more money. Dr-1 is useless trash