Sign in to follow this  
Hell-Razor

2 12s, low tuning, which way to fire?

Vehicle : 2003 VW Passat
Location in the vehicle: Trunk
Space available (Length x Width x Height): w1- 39, w2-42, h1-15.5, h2-19.5, d-25
Subwoofer make and model: Custom, similiar to the Sundown X but more motor force, excursion and lower fs
Subwoofer Size:12
Number of Subwoofers:2
Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): Up for suggestions but thinking about aero to save space
What type of music do you like?: Chopped and screwed, decafs low stuff (about 18-35hz)
Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: Everyday
Tuning Freq (Hz): To be determined - probably around 26
Volume : 5-7 cubes depending on tuning, port and bracing.
Questions: I want to first start out saying I blew my amp and I am in the market for a new one. I am thinking about getting a dc 7.5k, taramp 8k or maybe a banda amp but I hear they have a ssf set at 30hz. I ran a Soundigital amp for about 3 years and loved it but I made a mistake and blew it (it was my fault, not the amps). I dont need to get an amp this big but to play as low as I want, I may have to.

My first real question is firing for the sub. I have done all sorts of sub firing positions and I like into the cab the best. I tried a dc lvl 5 x1 m1 on a 4500 facing the trunk, even with two layers of second skin, it sounded like i was rattling a fair amount. I turned the box around and I think it sounded much better and louder. I have also sealed off and fired both sub and port into the car (2 xl m2 12s). Now it was loud, I just dont feel like it was getting the lows like I want. I believe for that box I was tuned to 35 then swapped out the port from a 8" to a 6" for 30. I think it was better but still not where it could be. I have also tried not sealing off but firing forward and honestly I havent noticed a difference. I have tuned my 12s box from 36 to 25, I think right about 26 was the best. I currently have a custom 15 in there tuned to 27 and I think its more brutal as well as louder than my 2 12s tuned to 26.

I was rolling around the idea of doing subs forward, port drivers side. I know that makes you meter higher (dont care about that) but the passenger side of my trunk is weird and it has a much sharper \ angle than the drivers side does. I was thinking about porting with a 8" aero, but I am not sure how much room I would want to leave between the port and the drivers side "wall" of the trunk {I was aiming for 8 inches when I was thinking about designing a box).

firing direction is something you will have to experiment with

I thought so. I just know there are some nono ways unless its burp... etc. I figure I would at least try and see what people think before actually doing it.

I was also thinking about ports and I dont think I was very clear on that end - Say I tuned a 8 and a 6 to the same frequency, would I notice better output to a point with the 8?