Sign in to follow this  
Miles

Ham Radio Field Setup

I recently recieved my Technician License a month ago so i can legally operate a ham radio. I have a setup in my jeep, but i wanted something i could take out into the field (or disaster zone, since we're in the middle of tornado alley). So, i bought a Yaesu 2800 as my base unit, and planned on making my own antenna and carrying box with self contained battery to hold the radio (and manual and whatever else i might need).

Here's the base unit. A Yaesu 2800.

2014-03-31_16-00-53_597_zpse845d2a7.jpg

So, this afternoon i built the antenna. Its a Yagi (mono-directional antenna) made from pvc, and metal tape measure, and some coax. Took a little measuring, cutting, and soldering, but its together and working great.

2014-04-01_14-50-47_893_zps94b09843.jpg

2014-04-01_15-00-09_710_zps6a398db9.jpg

The antenna is handheld, so it can be pointed in the direction you want to transmit. I was able to make a contact 70-80 miles away on 25 watts.

More pictures when the box build starts.

So when you are saying "Base unit", you are not referring to a non-moveable setup ??

Most base stations I've seen will not move and their antennas are huge.

Oh, what frequiency do you normally transmit ??

What happened to the Kenwood ??

Sorry I meant to say mobile unit. The Kenwood is dedicated just to my Jeep. The yaesu will be in a box I will build that I can take literally anywhere in any situation.

Both radios are VHF only so I can transmit anywhere between 144 and 148 megahertz. However, both are also modified, so in case of a major emergency I can transmit on anything between 137 and 174 megahertz.

Both radios are VHF only so I can transmit anywhere between 144 and 148 megahertz. However, both are also modified, so in case of a major emergency I can transmit on anything between 137 and 174 megahertz.

Gotcha. I'm a broadband Cable electronics technician is why I asked.

So when you guys over modulate, you interfier with cable channels 16, 17, 18, and 19. Use to be a common problem for us old schoolers until digital haystacks came out. Now cable comapnies are getting rid of analog channels all together.

Edited by Randal Johnson

Gotcha. I'm a broadband Cable electronics technician is why I asked.

So when you guys over modulate, you interfier with cable channels 16, 17, 18, and 19. Use to be a common problem for us old schoolers until digital haystacks came out. Now cable comapnies are getting rid of analog channels all together.

You know what's funny about that is in the study guide they actually give us that scenario. And if that scenario happens to occur we are told to inform the person with the TV that they need to install a bandpass filter so they won't have interference. Lol. Because its never the hams fault. Haha. I thought it was kind of hypocritical of them to put it in the study guide.

Lol. Because its never the hams fault.

Oh jeez, I've been told this one before.

Yea I know, Cable is suppost to be a "closed loop system". LOL

Haha. Just messing with you. Just couldnt believe they would put that in a study guide. To me, thats the hams fault and not the neighbors fault.

Nice! I am N3JDF and my Dad is KC3DR

Dont know if I said this before, but im KG5ASC.

Haha. Just messing with you. Just couldnt believe they would put that in a study guide. To me, thats the hams fault and not the neighbors fault.

It's all good brother. like I said, there is no more analog cable in most systems.

Started the actual "ham box" this afternoon. Only worked on it an hour or so, then dropped the battery in and started talking. Will finish up the top tomorrow (still need to figure out how I want to finish it off), then bedline the whole thing. 

For those who know the lingo, I had full quieting 35 miles away on 5 watts, and was coming in about 80% 70 miles away... On 5 WATTS! This setup is awesome! I bet I could do moon bounce with this (for those who don't know, you can point a directional antenna at the moon, transmit, and it takes so long that when you stop transmitting you can hear your own transmission through your radio!).

2014-04-02182714_zps6eab5396.jpg

2014-04-02184324_zps20082403.jpg

2014-04-02184110_zps213d25eb.jpg

2014-04-02185542_zpsa4cf8822.jpg

2014-04-02190249_zps448d5316.jpg

Thank you! I've been talking on it all night on it and the 12ah AGM battery I have it in hasn't dropped voltage at all. The entire unit weights 22 lbs, which might seem a little heavy, but if I'm taking this somewhere, I don't want it moving from where ever I decide to set it. Need to figure out a good design for the top. I don't just want to leave it open, but I need to do something that can be easily removable, be able to get air in and out to cool the radio, and allow for some type of handle.

Thank you! I've been talking on it all night on it and the 12ah AGM battery I have it in hasn't dropped voltage at all. The entire unit weights 22 lbs, which might seem a little heavy, but if I'm taking this somewhere, I don't want it moving from where ever I decide to set it. Need to figure out a good design for the top. I don't just want to leave it open, but I need to do something that can be easily removable, be able to get air in and out to cool the radio, and allow for some type of handle.

A small 120 mm fan would be great

Or you know how some car tire pumps come with integrated flashlights. You could do something like that. Or emergency lights etc some high powered LEDS.

Since I know how to do a Cobra weave with paracord, I'll just make my own handle. What I'll probably do is a 3/4" piece with either grill cloth of metal mesh in the middle, held down by neo magnets as a top. Then, I'll paint the inside of the box white, and put some blue leds inside on a switch. I want this thing to be rugged, and look nice.

Started the actual "ham box" this afternoon. Only worked on it an hour or so, then dropped the battery in and started talking. Will finish up the top tomorrow (still need to figure out how I want to finish it off), then bedline the whole thing. 

For those who know the lingo, I had full quieting 35 miles away on 5 watts, and was coming in about 80% 70 miles away... On 5 WATTS! This setup is awesome! I bet I could do moon bounce with this (for those who don't know, you can point a directional antenna at the moon, transmit, and it takes so long that when you stop transmitting you can hear your own transmission through your radio!).

2014-04-02182714_zps6eab5396.jpg

2014-04-02184324_zps20082403.jpg

2014-04-02184110_zps213d25eb.jpg

2014-04-02185542_zpsa4cf8822.jpg

2014-04-02190249_zps448d5316.jpg

Looks Better then My Center consol , great work

A cigarette lighter would be cool so you could charge your phone/etc.

Finished it up today! Will probably put another coat of bedliner on it tomorrow to get a cleaner look. I went with a 4.5" computer fan with integrated led's to cool the radio (theres a small space open at the back of the case to allow air flow out). I think it came out awesome!

2014-04-03_17-44-29_232_zps6f9311c0.jpg

2014-04-03_18-21-01_649_zpsb8750973.jpg