Kenny Alex Alex

need help designing a box

I've never built a box and need help with a step by step process or blueprint on building a box wanting it 5.2 net cubic ft and tuned for them low lows I've gotta Chevy blazer 4 door to put it in and wanting subs to face up towards roof and port to face the back hatch. I've got two SoundQuebd HDS3 12's I'm putting in it. gunna b for everyday and mild comp bas. powering them with a 1200.1 super d class Zeus mono amp with big 3 upgrade and 0 gauge ran. please someone help me

Whoa buddy, take it easy.  There's plenty of people here who can help but we need more information.  For starters the maximum dimensions you're planning/willing to give up for the enclosure would be nice.  I have a two door '01 Jimmy myself but I'm pretty sure the four doors have a little less space in the rear than my two door does.

http://reaudio.com/box.php

This calculator is a good place to start. Helps get ideas to start flowing. ..

That calculator sucks and OP no need for two different threads about the same topic.

Yea i used that but didn't give me option to put subs on top and I'm seriously just super lost when it comes to this tryd the Google sketch up and i got so confused and overwhelmed i had a panick attack

Yea i didn't mean to i didn't know it set the other one up I'm sorry about that

Google Torres box calculator.

Best one I've found so far.

Try downloading the Torres calculator, I use this program with great results. It will help you out more because this way you can play around with the dimensions to get an enclosure to your liking then just giving somebody set dimensions and one outcome.

K and will that allow me to put subs on top of box and give me a nice easy layout on how to do this? cuz I'm seriously brain dead when it comes to building things and need it in the simplest form for me to understand and just make it as easy as possible the main issue is setting up the port and how big to make it ect.

While I do agree that using Torres will help you play with the numbers a little, it could still be a little overwhelming if you've never designed/built an enclosure before.

Why is it that you're specifically looking for 5.2 cu.ft. NET?  Are you sure you mean NET and not GROSS?  While that amount of space per sub for a twelve isn't outlandish or even outside of manufacturer specs it's going to make for quite a large enclosure once the port and it's volume is added to it and you sure can't use the entire 30" of depth as the port has to have room to breathe between the enclosure and the tailgate.

Or how ever many cubic ft it can be with the dimensions i listed cuz that's the max room i have to build it

Could anyone please email me a blueprint and or a cut sheet step by step on how to make the box I'm wanting? With dimensions the port placement and just in simplest form how to do this and a blueprint of what it's gunna look like please I've tryd to do these calculators for box builds and its overwhelming and so confusing to me

Just hold on, I'm throwing together something quick and simple.  Nothing elaborate, nothing fancy, a simple slot port enclosure that will be 4.25 cu.ft. NET tuned to 30hz.  Keeping it simple will keep it easy to cut out, easy to build, and will be plenty good for a first timer.

Thank u so much your so awesome for helping me out Alton can't thank u enough

So, here's the enclosure.  It's 4.25 cu.ft. NET tuned to 30hz with a simple "L" shaped slot port.  I'm using a nearly identical design (different dimensions obviously) in my van with a pair of Fi Q 12's and have been for about four years with no issues at all.

PM me your email address and I can send you the Sketchup file for the enclosure for you to play with, reverse engineer from, etc. to get acquainted with the design and how it all fits together.

Kenny29_85-twoHDS312s-1.jpg

Kenny29_85-twoHDS312s-2.jpg

Kenny29_85-twoHDS312s-3.jpg

Kenny29_85-twoHDS312s-4.jpg

Kenny29_85-twoHDS312s-5.jpg

Kenny29_85-twoHDS312s-6.jpg

Kenny29_85-twoHDS312s-7.jpg

Kenny29_85-twoHDS312s-8.jpg

Kenny29_85-twoHDS312s-9.jpg

Here's the cutsheet.

Kenny29_85-twoHDS312s-CUTSHEET.jpg

This is what it could look like completely finished.

Kenny29_85-twoHDS312s-10.jpg

Damn, that's the problem with doing something in a hurry.  In the pictures it shows the first port wall dimension as 17 3/4" long, the cut sheet shows 18 1/2".  The cut sheet is correct.  When I was grabbing the lines with the dimension tool I didn't get all the way to the end of the port wall.  Keep that in mind when you go to cut everything out.

very nice Alton!

Yall think i should face subs at roof or at the hatch door of the blazer? which will b louder and slam them lows I'm seeking?

We can't tell you which is better. The only way to find out is to build 2 boxes each trying a different way. Most people find subs up port back in suvs is best. I would try that and keep it the way Alton has the design.

Nice on you for working that up for him Alton!

Indeed big thanks to Alton.can't wait to build it and when its done pictures and video will b posted

Should my box be a little bit bigger since each sub calls for 2.5cubic ft each sub n this box is 4.25net cubic ft