Sign in to follow this  
Kenny Alex Alex

need help with sub wiring

I'm gunna build that one Alton designed for me but with the hifonics amp it'll do just fine i just dnt understand y they have the bass boost then if u can't use it ya know

It's not that you CAN'T use it at all, it's that it gets misused by 99% of the people out there so it's just easier to tell people NOT to use it.

If the bass isn't loud enough it's because of a limitation in the installation.  Either it wasn't done right, wasn't done big enough in the first place to give the output the person is looking for, or it's a combination of both.  Bass Boost is nothing more than an old marketing gimmick to make a quick fix for people that had anemic bass response.  It's also, as a result, helped companies sell tons more equipment because of it's misuse and subsequent destruction of the equipment it was being used on.

I really appreciate all the help yall r giving me I'm very new to all this and the best way for me to know what to do is have someone tell me i have trouble comprehendn when i read things so this is the best way for me to learn thanks for helping everyone yall r good people

Oh...well I'm running 0 gauge to amp I've done the big 3 upgrade and I'm just needing to get an extra battery installed and i should b good on power supply

Oh and i need to build the box u designed me Alton thank u very much again greatly appreciated

Ok but how do u know what to set the gain at to match it?

Look up your head unit's specs on the internet, and find out what the rca pre out voltage is rated at it should be

I looked it up for you it is 2.5Volts : ) 

Edited by THX_Elite

Yea i did too so what's that mean? what do i try to put my settings at?

Oh and i need to build the box u designed me Alton thank u very much again greatly appreciated

No problem man, I'm glad to help.  So is everyone else, we're a fairly tight family on here, even the guys who don't see eye to eye.  Just remember to calm down, take your time and have patience.  

Another thing to consider, and this has been the case for most all of us, is to forget almost everything you THINK you know about car audio.  As I found out as well, what most of us are taught and learn over the years has not been accurate information.  As long as you're willing to be open to understanding that and listen there's more accurate information on this forum and it's members than anywhere else on the web.

i would set the amp gain at .2v or just BARELY, BARELY ABOVE that, i mean BARELY :)  to be safe

I'm seeing that thank yall but what's the volts mean on my headunit what should i set my gain too?

So where would that be like a qrt way halfway?

what amp exactly are you using?

Brx2000.1d

ok I have that owners manual in my hand you will pin the amps "gain" knob all the way to the right then just barely back off like less than a mm, or a mm at most.

Edited by THX_Elite

K AWESOME!!!! and dnt even install the bass knib remote and dnt touch that setting on the amp either correct

K AWESOME!!!! and dnt even install the bass knib remote and dnt touch that setting on the amp either correct

correct I have the BRX1600.1D and did not install my bass knob nor do I use any bass boost or use the boost knob on the amp itself.

Please don't do that. Turning your gain way up like that is going to kill something for sure. Unfortunately, there is no "set it to this" solution. You will have to rely on your own ears unless you have someone else that has some experience with this matter on hand.

K awesome thank u all so much I'm signing ofc here till later on gunna hang with my boy's for a lik bit then we r off to see the new Muppets movie lol should b a fun time they r super excited bout it. can't thank u guy's enough for all this help

The bass knob on these amps is more of a bass cut knob. If you have the knob turned all the way up, it will be the same output as if you didn't have it connected at all. But turn it down and it cuts back on the output.

Please don't do that. Turning your gain way up like that is going to kill something for sure. Unfortunately, there is no "set it to this" solution. You will have to rely on your own ears unless you have someone else that has some experience with this matter on hand.

I have the same amp and in the book it shows where .2v is which is all the way to the right, that with telling him to back off a bit i'm sure he will be safe, plus I have called maxxsonics on this very issue a couple times : )

Edited by THX_Elite

I wouldn't suggest having him set his gain knob to any one position.  Honestly there's no way to know exactly where the gain knob needs set without being there working on his specific setup.  

Personally I set all my gains by ear, the OP should probably at least look at using the DMM method as I am sure he probably doesn't have the ear (just yet) to notice when the subs start to distort or show signs of stress.  I hate suggesting that method as it's not the most accurate either, but it's nowhere near as inaccurate as suggesting a single position on the knob.