Sign in to follow this  
Kenny Alex Alex

need help with sub wiring

I wouldn't suggest having him set his gain knob to any one position.  Honestly there's no way to know exactly where the gain knob needs set without being there working on his specific setup.  

Personally I set all my gains by ear, the OP should probably at least look at using the DMM method as I am sure he probably doesn't have the ear (just yet) to notice when the subs start to distort or show signs of stress.  I hate suggesting that method as it's not the most accurate either, but it's nowhere near as inaccurate as suggesting a single position on the knob.

you are most certainly right, i was just going by this specific amps booklet.  but it is better to use a Digital multi meter or ear for sure

Please don't do that. Turning your gain way up like that is going to kill something for sure. Unfortunately, there is no "set it to this" solution. You will have to rely on your own ears unless you have someone else that has some experience with this matter on hand.

I have the same amp and in the book it shows where .2v is which is all the way to the right, that with telling him to back off a bit i'm sure he will be safe, plus I have called maxxsonics on this very issue a couple times : )

I'm not trying to get into any great debate, but what you are recommending would cause more than one problem. If his head unit was rated for 2.5v where does the .2v setting come from? Not that head unit ratings are great to go by anyway.

Please don't do that. Turning your gain way up like that is going to kill something for sure. Unfortunately, there is no "set it to this" solution. You will have to rely on your own ears unless you have someone else that has some experience with this matter on hand.

I have the same amp and in the book it shows where .2v is which is all the way to the right, that with telling him to back off a bit i'm sure he will be safe, plus I have called maxxsonics on this very issue a couple times : )

I'm not trying to get into any great debate, but what you are recommending would cause more than one problem. If his head unit was rated for 2.5v where does the .2v setting come from? Not that head unit ratings are great to go by anyway.

I see what you mean I recommend that the OP call Maxxsonics and get their advice on where he should begin setting the gain as did I to begin with.

I see what you mean I recommend that the OP call Maxxsonics and get their advice on where he should begin setting the gain as did I to begin with.

Even they can't tell him exactly where it should be set.  There's too many variables to the process.

you are all right lol, now I am questioning myself on where my own gain is set!!!!!!

Alton needs to be bumped up to the tech team.

smart guy forsure he has helped me a ton over the past year

smart guy forsure he has helped me a ton over the past year

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.