hdrox88

(was Slightly disappointed) now Impressed with my XCON 15!!&#3

I'm looking toward sub or enclosure. When the xcon was swapped for the mtx boxes, those things slammed the higher bass notes pretty well. Wasn't too loud on the lows but it shook my steering wheel. The only thing that was changed was sub and box. All other settings and equipment stayed the same.

What's the chances that the sub I got could have had something wrong with it, or it was a poor recone when I got it? I didn't buy from ssa :/

Well, I don't plan on swapping out the X65s anytime soon. I've had four different sub set ups in this truck all on the same amp and the xcon was the only one to have the problem I am talking about, so I'm not sure mid bass is going to fix it.

This is just my opinion so don't take it as fact or from SSA:

You said the xcon had way more output at lower frequencies than the other drivers, but that the other drivers sounded better at high frequency? The flip side of that coin is that those other drivers don't have the output that the xcon has at lower frequencies. I would consider that part of the design of the driver, and not a problem. That may seem frustrating to you because you may have expected it to excel at everything. I'm sure there's plenty of people that say the driver is very capable of playing up to 80hz with no problem and if there is any problem than it's in the design of the enclosure or amp settings, and they very well could be correct, but with ALL the drivers I've ever used I've always been the happiest with crossing them over in the 50-60hz range, and leaving the rest for midbass drivers. With the sub at 80hz 18db or 24db slope there always seemed to be a muddle sound in the higher bass region to midbass. I've experienced this with all kinds of drivers, not SSA in particular, ported enclosures, sealed enclosures, big boxes, small boxes. Then I lower my LPF and instantly everything was clear and the midbass was crisp. My point is this was universal for all drivers I've used from Sundown, Fi, SSA, and so forth. I don't see it as a problem of the driver, but rather trying to use it outside/near it's intended usage. Don't try and use something outside it's limitations to make up for another's lack in ability.

I agree.  You say you don't have any air leaks in the enclosure but the problems you're describing are classic leaking box issues.  Push in on the cone of the sub and hold it in place for several seconds, it should have a bit of resistance to moving.  Now when you remove your hand the sub should move fairly slowly back out to it's rest position.  If it goes back quickly but doesn't follow your hand you're probably okay but if it doesn't go slowly at all and follows your hand straight back then you're enclosure isn't as well sealed as it should be.  This isn't super scientific nor is it completely definitive, but it can give you a place to start.  

Even if the enclosure isn't leaking there's still something very suspect going on here.  These subs are designed to be very accurate with quick response.  Aaron's analogy in my signature is a great explanation of it.

The enclosure is EVERYTHING to how a sub performs.  

Why thank you.  ;)

As for the enclosure type, the Xcon does perform well sealed.  But, if you want to step up the output, you can see plenty of people are suggesting going ported.  I am not sure where the hiccup in the system is.  SDS will help, I know it did in my little wagon.  Do you know if the recone was done at our build house or by the person you bought the subwoofer from?

I agree.  You say you don't have any air leaks in the enclosure but the problems you're describing are classic leaking box issues.  Push in on the cone of the sub and hold it in place for several seconds, it should have a bit of resistance to moving.  Now when you remove your hand the sub should move fairly slowly back out to it's rest position.  If it goes back quickly but doesn't follow your hand you're probably okay but if it doesn't go slowly at all and follows your hand straight back then you're enclosure isn't as well sealed as it should be.  This isn't super scientific nor is it completely definitive, but it can give you a place to start.  

Even if the enclosure isn't leaking there's still something very suspect going on here.  These subs are designed to be very accurate with quick response.  Aaron's analogy in my signature is a great explanation of it.

Why thank you.  ;)

As for the enclosure type, the Xcon does perform well sealed.  But, if you want to step up the output, you can see plenty of people are suggesting going ported.  I am not sure where the hiccup in the system is.  SDS will help, I know it did in my little wagon.  Do you know if the recone was done at our build house or by the person you bought the subwoofer from?

The guy I got it from claimed it was brand new, and it sure looked like it. But who knows for sure other than he? I was going to go ported pretty soon, but now I'll be sending it in for a recone myself as I killed it. Sealed box kept me from smelling it heating up and I let the smoke out of it. I'm pretty sure it doesn't make a difference in what is going on here, but it is an early model with the pole vent. I assume sending it in for a recone wouldn't be a problem?

Why thank you.  wink.png

The guy I got it from claimed it was brand new, and it sure looked like it. But who knows for sure other than he? I was going to go ported pretty soon, but now I'll be sending it in for a recone myself as I killed it. Sealed box kept me from smelling it heating up and I let the smoke out of it. I'm pretty sure it doesn't make a difference in what is going on here, but it is an early model with the pole vent. I assume sending it in for a recone wouldn't be a problem?

Reconing is no worry, http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/categories/recones.html check the send it in option.

Just placed my order and should be shipping out today. Hooray, wait time. Should have plenty of time to do up my doors, complete the big 3, and build a ported box. Thinking 4ft^3 net @ ~32hz should be a good start.

Just placed my order and should be shipping out today. Hooray, wait time. Should have plenty of time to do up my doors, complete the big 3, and build a ported box. Thinking 4ft^3 net @ ~32hz should be a good start.

Shipping out today?  You obviously didn't read everything.  It clearly states up to 21 business days build time, that's about a month of waiting if it takes the full 21 business days.  Unless you get really lucky and one just happens to be sitting on the shelf from a cancelled order or something.

Plans for the enclosure sound spot on though.  You can be working on building that while you're waiting for the recone.

was gonna say there is gonna be some pissed off people if he receives his order that fast lol

I understood it correctly, I meant that I'll be shipping my xcon to them today.

Ah, now that makes much more sense, lol.

Ah, now that makes much more sense, lol.

No worries, I was being sarcastic with the "hooray" and without tone of voice it lost its true meaning.

Thanks to all who have given advice. Once I have my xcon back, I'll readdress this situation and find the cause. Kinda tough to figure it out with a broken sub.

My icon sounds kinda funky right now also. Not what I've believed I could expect from it. I'm 100% sure it's my install. Just need to keep tweaking it till it's how you want

I'd like to have your feelings after the recone.

I've ran and eared xcons 15"s: those subs are very accurate on music. My LPF is set at 80 or 100 with no problem at all.  I don't understand how you don't like them on notes higher than 40-500 Hz.

I ran one in a 3ft^3 sealed box, on 1500 watts and it was niiiice ! I'm more a ported box guy though !

In a 4ft^3 box tuned at 32 Hz it will shine !

Ironically I too have an issue around 55-65Hz range with my 15" Xcon (4ft^3@32Hz), but I attribute it more to a null or node.

Edited by crackinhedz

Well, my sub arrived to it's destination on April 8th so it might be another couple weeks before I can figure out what the problem is. I really noticed the issue on double bass drum beats. Instead of quick, tight bum-bum-bum. It would play huhhuhhuh, if that makes any sense as all.

Although this is probably no help at all right now but I had my xcon 15 sealed and I never once skipped a beat...not that I can remember anyways

sealed is my favorite way to go :) but that's my opinion I have my ported want days though.

You should have torn the soft parts out yourself and posted pics.  This way we could have seen if you burnt the leads, burnt the coil, exc.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda. There was a lot of smoke that came out of the box when I pulled the sub out. It stopped dead in its tracks when playing, no warning and no drop in output. Just 100% died.

Just got my xcon back today and I have the day off tomorrow to play so I hope to see if I can address my original concerns.

Hope you are happy with it. I loved my SSA subs I've ran back in the past. :)

After playing around with it today, I have to say, it sounds much different than I remember it before. It's so smooth and composed. That nice snappy kick drum is back. 60" of time alignment and a phase change and it is blending well with the front stage. I'm not sure if it was the sub or something I changed inadvertently, but it sounds way better now.

I'm not yet sure when I'll make the switch, but I have a box waiting for it, 3.5ft^3 net @ 30hz 45in^2 of port.

That's awesome to hear!!

I've been playing with the ported box for a few days now and I can tell it's starting to loosen up. Holy cow, I went from disappointed to impressed! I was behind my friend in a drive-thru and with just my drivers window open he said he felt it in his chest. Not bad for a single 15 if you ask me. SSA gets two thumbs up from me. Now I just need another one to keep it company, haha.