ahl395

Low output below 35-40hz and High QTS in a ported enclosure

The box I built for a HTQS pre-09 SSD 12" was 1 cu. ft. so definitely go larger. 

Alright guys so I got my new enclosure built and my Q12 wired up.  I ended up with about 1.25cu.ft. after the sub's displacement

It definitely seems louder. I was able to turn the volume quite a bit higher without the clipping indicator coming on. 

Although I'm not sure if it actually sounds better or fixed my problem... The bass sounds more distorted now. Turning down the sub level on the head unit took some of that away but it seems like it doesnt sound as clear, for lack of a better term. Also, I didn't gain any low end response at all, in fact I think I even lost some more low end bass. The same goes for "higher" bass (meaning ~60-80hz) seems like it's much less pronounced. Meanwhile, the "mid" bass (around 40-50ish hz) is much louder and more pronounced.

I'm pretty stumped, this isnt what I expected from the new box. I didnt get a whole lot of time to play with it because it was late by the time I finished working on it, but tomorrow I'm going to check the box for any air leaks, even though I used plenty of silicone and whatnot, to make sure that's not my problem.

what kind of amp? electrical? Voltage monitoring?

The sub amp is a Hifonics Mt. Olympus Hercules. (Top tier amp they have)

http://www.hifonics.com/hifonics_mtolympus_amplifiers.html

Electrical: Big 3, XS Power D1200 second battery, stock alternator, all 1/0 AWG OFC.

Voltage monitoring: I have a voltage monitor mounted right in my dash that is wired directly to the battery in the back. Voltage never drops below 13.5V when above idle. When at idle it usually stays in the 13-13.5V range. Extreme bass heavy songs can put it down to 12.4V at idle though. Above idle never drops below 13.5V though.

These are pretty good numbers considering I have a stock alt, I couldn't be happier with the battery. But I wouldn't point the finger at voltage issues, even though can dip down pretty low at idle, it sounds no better at normal voltage above idle.

Edited by ahl395