Matt Schademann

PPI 640.4 -> BP? LP? HP? HPF? LPF? Suggestions?

the amp arrived today, and I just fooled around with the buttons until I came up with something that sounded good.

Between the Pioneer DEH-80etc. and this there's a lot more tweaking than in the old days!

I have 4 sets of comps, one in each door so they're all identical.

I also have a matching crossover box for each comp with sep. cables going to tweet & 6.5 mid.

I do NOT want to bridge this. I want full control over all four comps to adjust for placement strength etc.

But I will say this, after listening for an hour in my driveway the thing went into protection mode...already! :(

At one point on the fader, fading to ALL front made the sound (except sub) vanish, and fading to rear made the sound stay the same!

I understand the concept of high/low freqs going to tweets, or mids, or sub only. But when it comes to numbers and 'Passes' I don't have a clue what I'm doing except hunt and peck!

I'm almost there, check the graphic and what would you suggest doing? Thanks!

SOmetimes it sounds brilliant (symphony/brazilian jazz) sometimes it sounds so shrill my ears are bleeding like a Chekov (most top 40)

post-53894-0-22740200-1396950144_thumb.j

Amp is a gain block, your headunit can do everything you need.

Do yourself a favor though and sell the rears and run the tweets & mids on their own channel.  80prs network mode ftmfw.

POWER Class 640,4 ???????? I have the same AMP

i USE the Precision Power EQ for the FQ settings and it sounds CLEAN for all for speakers in my yukon. I dont use the settings on the amp at all they didnt work out for me

Edited by Cruz87

HOLY CRAP!

After a couple hours of playing tweak-monster I made a huge amount of headway. Seems as though the settings in the pic

was just about right, a lot of it came down to the HU EQ's and filtration that way.  Also saw a YT vid about the 4 mid outs and the 3-way thing and it just jumps the entire

program a whole nother level.

So seeing as I can't live without rears I just may get a 2nd amp and bridge them that way..HA.

Honestly, I can tell already the 115w/4Ω x4 is seriously pushing the limit of good sound. I don't feel like I'm distorting anything. But man that thing gets hot enough to fry an egg on.

And that was sitting in my car on this 50˚ night. What gonna happen when summer kicks in?

The lights flicker a bit, wonder if it's worth looking at a better alternator for this '08 Liberty.

But yeah, the highs are a tad bright coming from strings in symphony to other stuff, but so far NIN sounds decadent.

The router in my attic was barely reaching my garage, so I had to kill the wifi and use Verizon LTE network. Spotify AND Plex streamed through at least 320 if not 1411 WAV! Without a hitch. Just have to watch my minutes each month now LOL

Thanks for the feedback!

PS - one thing I learned this time around (as my neighbor set the gains to full and adjusted the volume around it), is to adjust the gains based on how much Pre-out V'ge you have. So this is a mean 5v, maybe more since my HU reads 14.3 on avg. on the front! I had the gains about 60% and then while it got hot, it didn't go into protect like before I posted this.

Looking forward to making this amp and setup even more musical!

I see the amp has a special line-connection like a mini XLR, or more like an S-Video looking port. BUT the PPI site doesn't even have this product listed??

Attempting to set the gain with reference to the "rated" pre-out voltage is typically not going to get the best results. Especially since you have to have the volume on that particular hu maxed out to reach close to the 5v. I tested mine(80prs) for curiosity sake and hit 4.9vac at max volume with a 40hz tone iirc.

HOLY CRAP!

After a couple hours of playing tweak-monster I made a huge amount of headway. Seems as though the settings in the pic

was just about right, a lot of it came down to the HU EQ's and filtration that way.  Also saw a YT vid about the 4 mid outs and the 3-way thing and it just jumps the entire

program a whole nother level.

So seeing as I can't live without rears I just may get a 2nd amp and bridge them that way..HA.

Honestly, I can tell already the 115w/4Ω x4 is seriously pushing the limit of good sound. I don't feel like I'm distorting anything. But man that thing gets hot enough to fry an egg on.

And that was sitting in my car on this 50˚ night. What gonna happen when summer kicks in?

The lights flicker a bit, wonder if it's worth looking at a better alternator for this '08 Liberty.

But yeah, the highs are a tad bright coming from strings in symphony to other stuff, but so far NIN sounds decadent.

The router in my attic was barely reaching my garage, so I had to kill the wifi and use Verizon LTE network. Spotify AND Plex streamed through at least 320 if not 1411 WAV! Without a hitch. Just have to watch my minutes each month now LOL

Thanks for the feedback!

PS - one thing I learned this time around (as my neighbor set the gains to full and adjusted the volume around it), is to adjust the gains based on how much Pre-out V'ge you have. So this is a mean 5v, maybe more since my HU reads 14.3 on avg. on the front! I had the gains about 60% and then while it got hot, it didn't go into protect like before I posted this.

Looking forward to making this amp and setup even more musical!

I see the amp has a special line-connection like a mini XLR, or more like an S-Video looking port. BUT the PPI site doesn't even have this product listed??

humor us and disable the rear fill. Its doing nothing for you at all. if you think it sounds better with rear fill its because the front stage isn't set up correctly. 

check that your ground and power cable are adequate, perhaps thats why its getting so hot. 

i very much doubt the spotify sends 320 kbps or higher for that matter, over lte. not like you could tell the difference.

set the gains by ear not by dmm. output voltage is irrelevant  when listen to anything but test tones. 

OK...ok!  That's intrigued me enough to make me give it a shot.

I can't really complete it until I get a nice mounting kit anyway so it'll be a few days.

Also making me take a 2nd look at my sub & amp. Seems to be all or nothing, from one tune to the next. Again, maybe it's the wild variety of genres

but it's just light on one song and just way too heavy on the next.

Thanks a ton for the help again. 

Is it common out there for HU's to have the ability to bi-wire the mid from highs with a switchable set of RCA?

And perhaps because just sitting there with no air flow in the cabin the amp couldn't take advantage of circulation?

And for the record, I am completely stunned at the quality vs. cost. How can they pull this off?

Just more efficient manufacturing these days?

More efficient engineering.

You have the equipment to completely make what you hear now sound like shit.

I can guarantee one thing.  If it sounds better with your rears on, your fronts are not set up correctly.  Once this is done they will do NOTHING positive.  Not even for rear passengers.

Keep experimenting, it will get better.

Thx M5 & Fi.

I can't say it sounds better 4-way because I've only run it that way lol.

So it's going to involve mapping out my existing X-overs (4 Diamond boxes) so I can get the right wires to their ports on the harness (PPI quick release).

I'm terribly dyslexic so keeping track of things and numbering the wires w/tape is doable. Just may have to dedicate a half day on only that. But yeah after

reading this I'm going to give it a shot. I wonder how many other HU's out there can go bi-wiring, IOW sep. high & mid RCA pre-outs? Have they been doing this

stuff for awhile?

I was able to find the BLT balanced line module online for only $50.  Only thing is I don't know how that would work with proposed setup because there's only 2 ports for this. Or can these ports and BLT parse the highs and mids?

Or would I use 2 of these boxes. One for L&R highs, one for L&R lows?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_38337_Precision-Power-PPI-BLT.html

I'd still be running the amp on 4-ch correct?

Edited by Headshot

Bltwilll do nothing and you don't need the diamond cross overs

I know, X-overs to be bypassed now.

PPI PC640.4

yes the amp heats up and goes to protect? i put a fan on mine close to the amp to dissipate heat. so far it hasn't shut off yet  with temp outside @ 80degrees

I think it was because I was sitting in a closed car without circulation (fan control and dash portion are in the back seat haha), we'll see when/if spring ever comes

I think it was because I was sitting in a closed car without circulation (fan control and dash portion are in the back seat haha), we'll see when/if spring ever comes

lol yeah if it ever does 

One ting that makes me curious is that Pioneer axed the 80-PRS??

The only higher model is $1300 while the next highest model is like $200-ish!?  Wonder why they killed it

*update* - disregard. Their website shows 4 featured products in CD single din, and you can't see any others until you click 'products'

Edited by Headshot

Take your time and do a whole lot of reading before you run that hu in network mode. make sure you really understand what you're doing. You have the potential for really great sound but you also have the potential for horrible sound and blown drivers.