rmksledhead

Whats best for me?

Hey everyone, new member but I've been lurking for awhile searching for a solution to my bass needs but figured it would be smarter just to tell everyone my situation and get some personal opinions.

SO, I'm looking for a single or dual sub/amp setup for my passat  and i want to spend no more than $600 on it.

What I'm used to:

In my s-10 extended cab i have a 10" type r (swr 1042) powered by a 400w rms pioneer and  a 12" MTX square (ts85) powered by a 975w rms kenwood amp.

The type r is in a .5^3 sealed box and the mtx is in a 1.6^3 vented box tuned to 35hz or so.

I enjoy what i have in the s10, works well for dubstep and all flavors of rock which is mostly what i listen to but will also do rap pretty well.

I want more volume than i have in the s-10 and i want to hit the really low stuff better. I don't have too many REALLY low notes to hit with most songs i listen to, maybe a handfull of songs, but its frustrating not to be able to get the volume at really low frequencies.

I have plenty of space in the trunk but only 'want' to sacrifice up to 5^3ft

I've been looking hard at the bl and q but not sure if 2 ssd's would better suit my goals

Also, the alt is stock 145, battery is stock, no big 3 yet. Thanks for the help!

So you're looking for an Fi product correct? Just pick what's in your budget, all of the subs will perform quite well.

If you want to get more lows you will need an enclosure tuned to accommodate..and make sure you get a bigger amp.  I recommend upgrading your big 3 right away(better battery, upgraded cables from alternator to battery and upgraded battery grounds), if not even 1st on the to do list smile.png  your stock alt should be fair enough to begin your build.

(wish I had room in the trunk for 5^3's I would of went with a 15" Fi BL instead of 12")!!

Edited by THX_Elite

If you want to get more power and really hear and feel the lows, I recommend upgrading your big 3 right away, if not even 1st on the to do list smile.png  your stock alt should be fair enough to begin your build. (wish I had room in the trunk for 5^3's I would of went with a 15" Fi BL instead of 12")!!

Your recommending him do the big 3 so he can hear and feel the lows better?????? lmao.......ok 

OP, a single SSD 15 and a 1k watt amp would do the trick just fine. I would do the big 3 and maybe a bigger battery up front (it wont help your lows any, lol but would help voltage some)

Haha the Big 3 is the new h/o alternator upgrade nowadays.

link I posted was deleted lol my bad

Edited by ohio45113

Ya im gonna edit that out lol, cause my emphasis was on the electrical/power not the "Hearing" or "feeling" of it.

Lmao thanks for calling me out on that!  That was actually sounding completely ridiculous after re-reading what I had typed!

Edited by THX_Elite

If you want to get more power and really hear and feel the lows, I recommend upgrading your big 3 right away, if not even 1st on the to do list smile.png  your stock alt should be fair enough to begin your build. (wish I had room in the trunk for 5^3's I would of went with a 15" Fi BL instead of 12")!!

Your recommending him do the big 3 so he can hear and feel the lows better?????? lmao.......ok 

OP, a single SSD 15 and a 1k watt amp would do the trick just fine. I would do the big 3 and maybe a bigger battery up front (it wont help your lows any, lol but would help voltage some)

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

If I do a single sub I'll probably get a Bl or Q instead of the SSD, just because its in my budget and would sound better (right?) But if i did a single 15" woofer would i miss the sound in my s-10 with the 10" being punchier? Would a Bl 15" be better at playing fast, clean bass than a 15" SSD with the same power going to either? My main concern is that a buddy of mine had 2 memphis mojo 15's in a yukon with 2500rms and it was muddy and slow compared to my s-10 setup when playing rock. Don't get me wrong it was loud as hell, but i liked the speed my s-10 has more than his crazy volume.

Haha the Big 3 is the new h/o alternator upgrade nowadays.

This I know, but for the setup the OP is shooting for I seem to think that a 145 amp alty should be fine (to begin with)...this opinion comes from my experience currently on a tiny stock 90 amp alty with 1600rms going to my sub.  All though it is not sufficient enough it does keep my battery charged.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

If I do a single sub I'll probably get a Bl or Q instead of the SSD, just because its in my budget and would sound better (right?) But if i did a single 15" woofer would i miss the sound in my s-10 with the 10" being punchier? Would a Bl 15" be better at playing fast, clean bass than a 15" SSD with the same power going to either? My main concern is that a buddy of mine had 2 memphis mojo 15's in a yukon with 2500rms and it was muddy and slow compared to my s-10 setup when playing rock. Don't get me wrong it was loud as hell, but i liked the speed my s-10 has more than his crazy volume.

About your inquiry on the Fi BL itself....I have a 12" inch and it is very nice in the accurate, quick response and "punch" department.  I have a song or two that play low low's and also have double bass kicks at the same time and both come thru strong and clear!  As for its comparison to SSD's or any others I can offer no opinion as I have not owned an SSD or any others from SSA.  But I do know that they are quality subs also!

This 12" Fi BL is blowing my mind in every way more and more every day!

Edited by THX_Elite

No experience with the bl's but I have used the Q 12 and 15 models. In fact listening to the 12" q driving down the freeway in my friends car right now as I type. Love them. I think it would be able to do what you need and more in the right enclosure. One of my favorite subs I've had my hands on. Helped another friend to buy a ssd12 and it sounds pretty damn good too.

Don't think any of fi's subwoofers will let you down. Just install them in a properly built box and your good to go

Thanks again for the opinions everyone!

I think I'm leaning towards a Bl, not because its "what 99.9999% of Q buyers should've got" but because i believe it can hit the lows I'm missing with a box tuned low enough, and well, who doesn't want a 50lb beast of a 12 thumping lol!

My last question is will it perform well enough on this -> http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23548_Hifonics-Brutus-BRZ1200.1D.html amplifier? I'm concerned about running anything bigger with only 4ga going to the trunk and stock wiring everywhere else.

I'd like to suprise people that I only have a single 12, (i know, its the sub AND the enclosure that make this happen) and I'm good enough with tools and computers to figure out box dimensions using winisd and torres.

You won't be able to hear a difference between 1200 and 1500 watts in the first place.  Also if you're only going to use 1200 watts go with the largest enclosure you can fit in the vehicle.  A larger enclosure will be more efficient than more power anyway.

Go with every bit of 2.5 cu.ft. NET per sub tuned in the 30hz region and you'll be golden.

Thanks again for the opinions everyone!

I think I'm leaning towards a Bl, not because its "what 99.9999% of Q buyers should've got" but because i believe it can hit the lows I'm missing with a box tuned low enough, and well, who doesn't want a 50lb beast of a 12 thumping lol!

My last question is will it perform well enough on this -> http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23548_Hifonics-Brutus-BRZ1200.1D.html amplifier? I'm concerned about running anything bigger with only 4ga going to the trunk and stock wiring everywhere else.

I'd like to suprise people that I only have a single 12, (i know, its the sub AND the enclosure that make this happen) and I'm good enough with tools and computers to figure out box dimensions using winisd and torres.

Made the right choice even if you weren't going to be the 0.00001%.

And we need pics of the RMK :D

Honestly cone area will be your greatest friend when it comes to low end.

No replacement for displacement

That is very true, but I personally LOOVE the 12" BL's abilities in the low end (28hz and above)anyway, in a 32hz 2.5^3 enclosure.  Saying this, however, I would be a happy camper with a second one! Wish I had the room!  Just trying to show the OP in my confidence that you do get some satisfying rumble low end out of the 12" BL, all be it, not as loud as a larger driver or two drivers with more cone area.

That's a line I used to live by... then I got a ride in a 600hp honda civic with a 2.0l and a big ass turbo strapped to it, still the fastest thing I've been in and that fact kinda makes me sad.

Then again if you slap a turbo on an ls1 you get a better result that will run for 50,000 miles and not explode. Plus you don't need to say you have a honda so there is that also!

I've already ordered my Bl 12 with the hyper pole option and I like to think of the huge magnet structure of this woofer as my "turbo" solution to running a 12" sub and still get low...get low...get low....I played way too much need for speed underground lol

Hey, where are the rmk pics?

The BL would be a great choice.

I've owned A LOT of subs and the Fi BL 12" fully loaded is by far my Favorite out of them all! I wouldn't trade it for any other sub.  If this one ever dies, i'll just get another!

This is my 08 800 rmk. That was an awesome sled to ride!

Copy Of 2011 03 23 13 45 56 544

This is my current one. Its a custom half RMK half IQR. Haven't ridden it as much as I'd like but its another fun one thats for sure!

2011 11 04 20 04 32 260

Sweet. You up North then?

I live in the cities so mine isn't quite stretched that far, just a 136 Intense setup for ditch banging. More akin to your new sled than your old wink.png

IMAG0857_zpsc10dff21.jpg

^As am I! I've always liked the look of these things. I'm in West central mn, fm area.

I've still got to get lights on mine...its got a mod hood for the twin race pipes it had but that vp c12 is expensive fuel!

<-- grew up in Moorhead

Love my HID's btw.