Sign in to follow this  
kaydennicholson

Are my speakers barely breathing? Silverado question too.

okay so I have posted on here a time or two before when first acquiring my FI audio speakers.

I am driving a 2010 Chevy Malibu

two fully loaded 12" Fi Q's, built for a sealed enclosure due to the lack of space to slide a box in the trunk.

I have a Brutus BRZ 2400 hooked up to them, running them wired down to 1 ohm resistance. 

I also have a kinetic 2400 battery, nothing done to battery up front or alternator. 0 gauge knukoncepts ran throughout

This is my daily driver and i run the system every time im on the road (on highways for 2.5+ hours a day)

the RMS rating for these subs is 1500 apiece if i remember correctly, and from what I have heard, added resistance when turning up the power actually makes the amp pump out less than 2400 watts.

the box is roughly 3 cu ft sealed.

Here are my questions:

1. with RMS rating at 3,000 watts for the pair, i've always overpowered previous sound systems with no issues which makes me wonder: is the 2400 watt amp just giving me a fraction of the speakers' full potential? i would figure they may take around 5k CLEAN unclipped power, am i missing out without the added power?

2. Always wanted a newer truck, may be making it a reality soon, any way of using these same Q 12s in one the 07-13 generation Chevy Silverado crew cabs?

already built for sealed but I dont know how much space there would be. 

Edit: The subs are already very clean and slam pretty hard to where i get my headliner flexing. You can feel it through your body, 

Edited by kaydennicholson

okay so I have posted on here a time or two before when first acquiring my FI audio speakers.

I am driving a 2010 Chevy Malibu

two fully loaded 12" Fi Q's, built for a sealed enclosure due to the lack of space to slide a box in the trunk.

I have a Brutus BRZ 2400 hooked up to them, running them wired down to 1 ohm resistance. 

I also have a kinetic 2400 battery, nothing done to battery up front or alternator. 0 gauge knukoncepts ran throughout

This is my daily driver and i run the system every time im on the road (on highways for 2.5+ hours a day)

the RMS rating for these subs is 1500 apiece if i remember correctly, and from what I have heard, added resistance when turning up the power actually makes the amp pump out less than 2400 watts.

the box is roughly 3 cu ft sealed.

Here are my questions:

1. with RMS rating at 3,000 watts for the pair, i've always overpowered previous sound systems with no issues which makes me wonder: is the 2400 watt amp just giving me a fraction of the speakers' full potential? i would figure they may take around 5k CLEAN unclipped power, am i missing out without the added power?

2. Always wanted a newer truck, may be making it a reality soon, any way of using these same Q 12s in one the 07-13 generation Chevy Silverado crew cabs?

already built for sealed but I dont know how much space there would be. 

Edit: The subs are already very clean and slam pretty hard to where i get my headliner flexing. You can feel it through your body, 

Do you run normally a ported enclosure on other setups?

Wrong post.

Edited by pmureika

first setup was (2) JL w0v2s sealed  with 500 watts, then got 2 RE SEX 12s ran on  alpine PDX1000, in massive ported box, then used the Brutus BRZ 2400 on them but got about 1200 watts due to the resistance. never blew any subs *knock on wood* used to get crazy light dimming and what not before i added the kinetic battery in the trunk, no dimming now, even at full power. also have never smelled subs burning which is what is supposed to happen while "breaking them in"? does this mean its not even a break in power? or is it because i ever so gradually increased power after installing (was in fear of ruining/blowing the subs)

from my experience with trucks and subs. is you pretty much have to give up seating to get loud. im sure these guys can design you a box or have some ideas on how to do it. but for a regular dude like me thats not a pro audio and fairly new to car audio thats the only way I could make it happen

I ran 2 Qs under my seat on my 09 crew. Had to make a small lift but not too bad.

Sounded good.

In a sealed box you probably won't smell anything during break in. The box is supposed to be airtight. And you can't underpower a speaker.

don't worry about the power you're giving them. Yea they can take more power but would it be worth it for daily? Hell no. You would have to upgrade electrical more along with a bigger amp. You're just wasting money. You're fine with what you have now. Try a ported box if it's something that's possible. But do you mean built for sealed meaning box or they have high qts option?

Not too sure about the truck question. We would need max dimensions or someone that has done it like Steve for you to for sure know with whatever truck you get.

I ran 2 Qs under my seat on my 09 crew. Had to make a small lift but not too bad.

Sounded good.

how difficult is it to raise the back seat a few inches? Like I said, i dont have the truck yet but this audio situation may (sad to say) be a large factor on whether or not I will be getting one.

don't worry about the power you're giving them. Yea they can take more power but would it be worth it for daily? Hell no. You would have to upgrade electrical more along with a bigger amp. You're just wasting money. You're fine with what you have now. Try a ported box if it's something that's possible. But do you mean built for sealed meaning box or they have high qts option?

Not too sure about the truck question. We would need max dimensions or someone that has done it like Steve for you to for sure know with whatever truck you get.

figured as much but also figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. it's built with the high qts. had a few other people say that that shouldnt affect their ability in a ported box. but I dont like to experiment and "see what happens" with expensive equipment lol

figured as much but also figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. it's built with the high qts. had a few other people say that that shouldnt affect their ability in a ported box. but I dont like to experiment and "see what happens" with expensive equipment lol

Don't listen to those people.

Not sure if high qts is ok in ported. Ask FI themselves for a known answer. Then you will know if you can fit them. You can also recone the 12s too 10s. Option there but will cost you around 250or somewhere in that neighborhood.

The high QTS is meant strictly for sealed application. Not going to get great results ported

Sign in to follow this