papa69smurf

Coaxial Question

Theoretically speaking if you wanted to build a 3 way active set of matching speakers but couldn't find a 4 inch speaker that wasn't coaxial could you just cut the leads running to the tweeter and still use the cone for lower frequencies ?

You could if you want. Won't do what you're thinking though. As in it'll sound ridiculous. Just my opinion though

Technically speaking it would be doable but why on earth can't you find a 4" driver to use?  Parts Express, Madisound, and many other places sell bunches of great options for a 4" midrange for use in a 3 way setup.

What do you mean you can't find one, do you mean locally?

Parts Express is the shittttt they have most things you could need to get started.

I'm trying to do an all soundstream build everything from headunit and processors to window stickers.

I'm trying to do an all soundstream build everything from headunit and processors to window stickers.

No offense, but that ranks up there as least fruitful decisions I've seen posted utilizing active crossovers.

Akin to spending more money to putting a 150hp suzuki 4 cylinder into a Corvette and expecting performance.

If soundstream doesn't make a speaker that fits your needs then get something that does. No way in hell I'd run only 1 brand of equipment. Isn't soundstream borderline flea market these days?

Hey hate on soundstream whatever but it's something i wanna try and do. I guess I may just have to find a 4 inch midrange from somewhere else

Hey hate on soundstream whatever but it's something i wanna try and do. I guess I may just have to find a 4 inch midrange from somewhere else

To each his own on brands BUT the big point is that using just one brand for EVERYTHING just isn't the best idea.  Every company has inherent strengths and weaknesses in the variety of products they sell and because of that there can be shortcomings in the overall performance when using everything from just one brand.  When choosing individual drivers for building from scratch you should be picking them because they truly fit the application.  For that matter, that should be the focal point when picking just about anything.  There's nothing wrong with brand loyalty but it shouldn't rule the entire process.

Might aswell go in Walmart and go all Kicker. lmao Ive seen some dumb shit, but this is at the top. Hell I'm not sure I would do that even if Soundstream was sponsoring my vehicle and it was all free. 

Why dont you just run the Soundstream 3 way components?  You could run their Subs, then some 8's for midbass, the the 3 way components.  there ya go.

Not saying it'll sound the greatest-  but the best way to your goal in this case...

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_28032_Soundstream_RF36C.aspx

Might aswell go in Walmart and go all Kicker. lmao Ive seen some dumb shit, but this is at the top. Hell I'm not sure I would do that even if Soundstream was sponsoring my vehicle and it was all free. 

I'd rather go with a full Kicker install if I really had to instead of soundstream.

It isn't even hating on Soundstream, just a reality that the PRIMARY benefit of running active is to optimize the setup. First step this means install and by install that includes picking drivers that are appropriate for each location and mounting type. Using all of one brand completely throws this out the window. Add to that you are picking a car audio brand to then do this to and it is even more dumbfounding as the designs are compromises and dubious in general.

I'm not saying i know it all or trying to be a jacka$$ I've just always liked the idea of everything matching. I figured I would have to mix match but thats y i asked the question if I could do all soundstream. Sq is already gonna be hard enough in a steel single cab box i just didn't know if it was readable. I have been looking at arc audio black series and illusion audio carbon series. Amps are old school 2000rms tarantula and a da vinci. Plan on using audio technix wire and rca. Soundstream ingenix for headunit hidden behind ashtray cover in dash. Processing will be SS synthesis. 4 8 inch reference series subs will handle low end(ported around 25hz) if you can help me on speaker selection that'd be cool. Plan on a 4 inch midrange under dash by front windshield and components in custom door pod. Any other input will be appreciated. Thanks

Plan on a 4 inch midrange under dash by front windshield and components in custom door pod.

Under the dash and by the windshield? Wouldn't that be on top of the dash?

Scrap the whole component idea if you are doing a 3way. You should have a mid bigger than a 6.5" and using one out of a comp set will be a MAJOR fail. Tweeter and midrange should be next to each other as well.

From what I read your proposal will sound worse than just running the comp set alone. Much worse.

First off no it won't be on top of dash.the stock location has a bracket for a 3.5 speaker under the dash pad where the winshield is.

And you say midrange and tweet need to be on same axis but why do most people have 6.5 woofers and tweeters mounted on door or kick panel?

First off no it won't be on top of dash.the stock location has a bracket for a 3.5 speaker under the dash pad where the winshield is.

And you say midrange and tweet need to be on same axis but why do most people have 6.5 woofers and tweeters mounted on door or kick panel?

Facing up towards the windshield is what I think he means by on top of the dash.

If the mid and tweet are facing the same direction, that's the same "axis"

On axis to the listening position is a different story.

What would you suggest for placement

3 way active before 2 way is a sure fail. Try a 2 way first

Ok thanks