Sign in to follow this  
randeez

3k, 2-12s ICONs or XCONs?

hey guys, trying to figure out what to use- recommended enclosure looks to be about the same, I may do about 4.5cuft ported for the pair of them, tuned around 30ish? (lower maybe I see recommend down to 26hz?) I've always felt the enclosures I've built down around 30hz have had plenty of low end but I've never tuned one that low so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. Going in a 2007 acura rdx (fancy cr-v) amp is a mmats 3k, wondering if I should slightly over power the icons or have a damn reliable pair of xcons. 90% of the time they'll be babied by my significant other as it's her DD. the other 10% of the time i'll be abusing the crap out of them when I drive it. I probably wont ever want/need more power unless I get in a pissing match with someone ehh.gif

If your budget is sufficient why not go a step up and buy the xcons over the icons

I'd say it depends on your budget.  I love the shit out of my ICON, can't wait to try out an XCON.

I love my 2 icons as well!

hey guys, trying to figure out what to use- recommended enclosure looks to be about the same, I may do about 4.5cuft ported for the pair of them, tuned around 30ish? (lower maybe I see recommend down to 26hz?) I've always felt the enclosures I've built down around 30hz have had plenty of low end but I've never tuned one that low so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. Going in a 2007 acura rdx (fancy cr-v) amp is a mmats 3k, wondering if I should slightly over power the icons or have a damn reliable pair of xcons. 90% of the time they'll be babied by my significant other as it's her DD. the other 10% of the time i'll be abusing the crap out of them when I drive it. I probably wont ever want/need more power unless I get in a pissing match with someone ehh.gif

Honestly both will meet or exceed your expectations, if it were me and I could afford the step above I would. It gives you more head room and the ability to add more power. I have my ZCON 12's tuned to 28 and love it, tons of low end and still can peak up to around 50hz with ease.

honestly when I first happened upon SSA I thought nothing but XCONs would do, but reading the overwhelming reviews the ICONs sounded good - haven't had a big (loud) system in a few years wasn't sure what the status quo was. budget - i'll get an earful no matter what I buy, but it's refund time for her and bonus time for me coming up want to get things rolling before it's spent on things we actually need runlaugh.gif

Lol at the last sentence

Welcome!  Talk to garychurch some more about the Icons. He's getting good output with his.

I have a pair of Xcons, and love them! Mine are almost fully broke in & putting a hurting on my poor G6  adhd.gif

Yea I was just looking at your build Jason looks like it came out good, how's the front stage coming?

Still in the learning/researching phase, but I really do enjoy this part.

Just looked up pics of your vehicle.  Man you have the perfect cabin space for big sound!  I change my answer: DEFINITELY go with the Xcons in a big box.

xcons

Welcome!  Talk to garychurch some more about the Icons. He's getting good output with his.

I have a pair of Xcons, and love them! Mine are almost fully broke in & putting a hurting on my poor G6  :wacky:

I have gotten low 40's with them so far,there's two videos in my sig with me goofing off.I almost bought the Xcons wish I would had lol

It's a win win overall, as the Icon's have had a great reputation for quite a while now, but if you can budget the Xcon's, they are worth it if you want more.

sounds good, now all I need to do is order- change my order, complain that I didn't actually place the order, and want a refund, and .... laugh.png

the boss is definitely on board with mo' bass in there, but she wanted to keep most of the hatch open as she needs to do deliveries every once n a while (bakery) - I'm going to go ahead n order one 12 xcon for the time being to play around with

thanks guys!

Good decision for sure!!! 

Make sure to post up progress pictures and everything! 

I always try to take pics as I go but after a few hours hammering it out I give up lol

now all I gotta go is worry about the rest of the fuggin speakers in this thing. One of the rear door speakers is blown already. it has the tech package that comes up 10(?) speakers I think total. 4- 6.5" in each door, 2-tweeters in the sails, center channel 2.75", 2 satellite speakers in the rear most pillar (2.75"each) and factory sub.

I want to leave the center and rear satellites off the factory for now. replace all four doors and tweets, and I would like to throw in a small mid, less than 3", for 3ways up front. the mid being the hardest component to source as my ocd kicks in and I want to match all the speakers , I keep coming back to the hertz ml700 which isn't bad by any means but the full set up is $$$. will probably buy one full 3way component set and another pair of 6.5s by them selves for the rear door

Edited by randeez

You can forget the rear doors and focus on a good and solid frontstage. I was afraid to do it first, and now I will not come back : no more rears for me !

A 3 way setup will be hard to tune, and will need more amplifiers.

Good luck, and have fun.

The xcon is a fantastic sub.

order has been made, send it to me now ughdunno.gif

I wasn't really looking to run rear speakers per say, I was wanting to run all 4 doors as midbass 60-400hzish, you sit high and leaned back in there, the rear door speaker is nearly in line with your head and a lot closer compared to the front door speaker. and then mids and tweets up front

leaving the center and rear-rears off headunit I'm hoping may blend ok at low/reasonable volumes but be drowned out at higher volumes. from the factory I believe the system simulates dolby 5 pro logic, using a LOC/DSP seems a shame to sum all the channels (that are already separated) just to have it then separate the channels rofl2.gif

I wanted to match my 3k amp with mmats new hifi6150 but I may just use some amps that have speaker level inputs(JL XD) and let it all be

and I know , I haven't used rear speakers in any upgraded system I've had in a few years, this is also family ride I gotta keep it as such for the kiddo

Edited by randeez

vote for the xcon..more thermal limit :)

Does the xcon have a rear pole vent or is all venting through the basket?

None of our subs have pole vents.  ;)

sounds good, i'm probably going to do a stealth kinda install...with an xcon sigh.gif

subfloor hides fullsize spare so ive got about  29"x8" deep to glass and another 8" on either side of it so i shouldnt even have to raise the floor up

and i couldn't post pics on IE, using chrome it works dunno wtf 

IMG_20140111_164741_900_zpsf66cfc2f.jpg