Sign in to follow this  
nuttcase21

Old Q12 help, my buddy tore my surround!

Hi folks, new poster but old owner of a q12 sub. I love the driver but I can't use it right now because my bonehead buddy tore the surround with his finger lifting the sub up one day. There's a 1" horizontal tear in the surround now and I'd like to know if I can repair it or if I have to send it in for a recone. Also, it's an older dual stack motor, is there a way to figure out the options on it without tearing it apart? Thanx for any help.

you can probably repair it. i believe shoe goo is typically recommended. 

I've shoegooed torn surrounds before.  Looks ugly, but I couldn't tell any difference in sound.

I don't like the idea of shoe goo. I'm more into the idea of replacing the actual surround. Can you get a new surround from Fi?

If it is worth it too you, I would send it in...However, Fi sends out recone kit's for their subs.

Just go to Fi's web site and there is a recone section.

Where as you don't remember the options you ordered I think sending it in is the best route, things would be done more than proper this way.

Wanna sell it?

Haha, I'm trying to figure out how to fix it first. I'm a noon when it comes to driver building or repair. Amps, that's simple.

I have a buddy with a pre 09 d2 Q 12" he's been looking for a match for along time.

shouldn't be more than about 30 bucks to fedex it...thinks I paid about 26 to send my 18 back to incriminator.