1two3

thoughts on my first ported box design

That's probably the most shamefull thing I've seen in a while. I'll remember to give him a call after lunch to inform him of the piracy. Although he's humble enough he probably won't even worry about it. That man's involvement in the industry is why 95% of the product on the market is out there. I find it pathetic people can justify stealing decades of knowledge like that.

Mark, Aaron, or a mod needs to remove that link from SSA.

back when I first found the link I told them to remove it if it wasn't ok.I agree 100% with you.Just a link I found

That's probably the most shamefull thing I've seen in a while. I'll remember to give him a call after lunch to inform him of the piracy. Although he's humble enough he probably won't even worry about it. That man's involvement in the industry is why 95% of the product on the market is out there. I find it pathetic people can justify stealing decades of knowledge like that.

Mark, Aaron, or a mod needs to remove that link from SSA.

I removed it per your request Quentin.

There is no spoon fed answer that works. EVERYTHING is a compromise. If you find an answer elsewhere where they don't take into account information regarding your constraints it'll be even worse than what you designed.

Port area isn't so tough. What is tough is understanding how sensitive you are to chuffing and if you care about tenths. Once you get beyond that just design it so that there is a reasonable mach. Only way to find out your ears sensitivity to chuffing is to build something and see. Plenty of rules of thumbs but like all of them they are wrong for the majority of situations.

The best thing you can do is build the recommended enclosure on the site for your sub. Tell us what you like and don't like about it and then build another that solves those concerns. Getting a subjective opinion on the best layout for something without any background is uber useless.

They are also good designs to learn what works and doesn't.

You can tell how bad other forums are at representing what is good. The number of 4th order BP, T-line, Octoport, and so on enclosures that get recommended is stupid. I've yet to see a single one of them done in a way that would even be as good as the standard boring manufacturers recommended ported enclosure. So, if you go anywhere and they recommend ANY of those, run like hell.

thats just the thing.  the one on the site is just copied and pasted from the icon.  and i did use that as a template to design my original posted design but some beleive the port is too narrow

Missed my point completely. Enclosure recommendations are on the "enclosure recommendations tab" here: http://products.soundsolutionsaudio.com/index.php/product-information/xcon.html

Point was doing something to do something different is dumb. Can you successfully autocross a minivan? Sure, is it logical? No. Can you transport your 10 member family to the mall in a Corvette? Sure, but it will take a lot of trips. Both of those ideas would be different. Are either good? No. If you posted them on a transportation forum do you think people would support them?

The bummer is if you post their audio equivalent on SMD someone will support them because somehow being different is cool even when it is idiotic.

Same here. Start with your space. Read the rec'd optimal ported enclosure size for your sub. For an Xcon 10 that is 1.5-1.75cuft 27-34Hz. Realize the 27 is there so people don't 86 the sub as a choice and pick a more logical tune like 30-32Hz. With the space you have and the power you will use it is very easy to calculate the mach of the port. If you have space make it conservative, if you don't have the space weigh your compromise. Of course personally I'd do all this WAY before I bought a sub. First step with any step of any audio installation is always what is the space and what particulars of the space do I need to account for. Until that is conquered nothing else matters.

For instance, if you have the space for a 10" TLine in your car it would be really, really, really, really, really, really, really stupid if you bought a 10" driver.

Missed my point completely. Enclosure recommendations are on the "enclosure recommendations tab" here: http://products.soundsolutionsaudio.com/index.php/product-information/xcon.html

Point was doing something to do something different is dumb. Can you successfully autocross a minivan? Sure, is it logical? No. Can you transport your 10 member family to the mall in a Corvette? Sure, but it will take a lot of trips. Both of those ideas would be different. Are either good? No. If you posted them on a transportation forum do you think people would support them?

The bummer is if you post their audio equivalent on SMD someone will support them because somehow being different is cool even when it is idiotic.

Same here. Start with your space. Read the rec'd optimal ported enclosure size for your sub. For an Xcon 10 that is 1.5-1.75cuft 27-34Hz. Realize the 27 is there so people don't 86 the sub as a choice and pick a more logical tune like 30-32Hz. With the space you have and the power you will use it is very easy to calculate the mach of the port. If you have space make it conservative, if you don't have the space weigh your compromise. Of course personally I'd do all this WAY before I bought a sub. First step with any step of any audio installation is always what is the space and what particulars of the space do I need to account for. Until that is conquered nothing else matters.

For instance, if you have the space for a 10" TLine in your car it would be really, really, really, really, really, really, really stupid if you bought a 10" driver.

i already have all that information as is evedent by my second post in this thread.

i do infact have the space for a tline in my car but that doesnt make it a poor choice.  i could even go as small as a cube sealed if i wanted to/the need arose.  i cant really do that with one or both of my 15's can i?

i already have all that information as is evedent by my second post in this thread.

i do infact have the space for a tline in my car but that doesnt make it a poor choice.  i could even go as small as a cube sealed if i wanted to/the need arose.  i cant really do that with one or both of my 15's can i?

the point is that if you have room for a 10" tline (with the goal of output in mind) than just buy a larger sub and build a typical ported enclosure. the results will be much better in the given space. 

/\ -> WAY better

Then you should have shared it. Second post regurgitates the specification, not what you have to deal with. Starting with YOUR space is the first step. Should happen way before even shopping for a driver.

i do infact have the space for a tline in my car but that doesnt make it a poor choice.

Doesn't make it a good choice either. See both Lithium's post and mine. Clearly not ready to even choose. When you also state what you think you will gain by doing the monstrosity you propose you will finally realize the futility of it as well.

Not sure why you choose to listen to misinformation as gospel, but when people want to actually help you close off. sad.png

the point is that if you have room for a 10" tline (with the goal of output in mind) than just buy a larger sub and build a typical ported enclosure. the results will be much better in the given space. 

for the most part yes but tline will most likley sound better tho. loud and clear.

/\ -> WAY better

Then you should have shared it. Second post regurgitates the specification, not what you have to deal with. Starting with YOUR space is the first step. Should happen way before even shopping for a driver.

i do infact have the space for a tline in my car but that doesnt make it a poor choice.

Doesn't make it a good choice either. See both Lithium's post and mine. Clearly not ready to even choose. When you also state what you think you will gain by doing the monstrosity you propose you will finally realize the futility of it as well.

Not sure why you choose to listen to misinformation as gospel, but when people want to actually help you close off. sad.png

anyways ive decided to try 3 different boxes and see/hear first hand how they are different.  optimal sealed, optimal ported and t-line.  ill be fine with designing the sealed and the t-line. but i will require/appreciate help with the ported.  id like to have a sq box with decent output. a box to enhance the qualities of the sub.  the space i have to work with is large but id like to keep it 32" wide by 14-16" high and the space between the back of my seats to the gate/hatch is 25" so it would have to be smaller to give the port some room.  id be willing to try slot and or an aeroport.  since i have a rf amp subsonic filter is limited to 28hz.  

personal experiences with this sub and type of box/tuning/anything helpfull is appreciated!

myxcon10sealed_zps5ea46e48.jpg

theres my sealed one.

net volume 1.16cubes