Sign in to follow this  
rustydawwg

Moving the battery to trunk

Hi everyone, I have a 1993 lexus gs300. I'm relocating the battery to the trunk, purchasing a 200amp alternator, and doing a big 3 upgrade. I'm running two amplifiers (jl 1000/1 and a 300/4). So I figured at the least I'm going to need zero gauge coming back to the battery. Can someone here please advise me the correct way to run the positive wires? I was planning on running a positive 1/0 from battery to alternator and split it from there to the fuse box and starter. I'm trying to do this right while my engine is outside of the car so I do not encounter any electrical issues down the road.

You can run it underneath, as long as you mount the wire and protect it from the elements as much as possible.

Why remove the under hood battery?

Edited by SpeakerBoy

I'm doing a motorswap on the car, the intercooler piping must be routed through where the stock battery location is. My question specifically here is can I get away with wiring everything in series? Alternator -> Starter ->fusebox -> battery. Or is the best method running a distribution block in the engine bay that branches out to the the starter/alternato/fusebox?

My guess would be a distribution block. Probably 2 runs of 1/0 from rear battery to a distribution block in. Then 2 runs of 4 gauge on the distribution block out, one going to the starter and the other going to fuse block. One run of 1/0 to alternator from distribution block out. 

Hope that makes sense, just how i probably would do it. But wait for more experienced users to chime in.

My guess would be a distribution block. Probably 2 runs of 1/0 from rear battery to a distribution block in. Then 2 runs of 4 gauge on the distribution block out, one going to the starter and the other going to fuse block. One run of 1/0 to alternator from distribution block out. 

Hope that makes sense, just how i probably would do it. But wait for more experienced users to chime in.

So basically I want to run everything in Parallel just like factory setup then to keep strong voltage readings. Would I also retain a fuse in the engine bay or move it back towards the battery in the trunk and also fuse the power wire from the alternator to distribution block?