Corey Wagner

Zv4 18 in a 2004 Pontiac Vibe (Full Build)

Honestly 12 gauge is probably way over kill, 14 or 16 gauge would probably be best. You're gonna have one hell of a time routing it through the door. Lol

Nah, door panels are already off.  I deadedned them and I see where I am gonna run it all.  The big change today is that I decided to fiberglass the doors and put both component sets in the front stage.  This is going to take me a bit because of two reasons. 1) I live in an apartment so I am doing all of the fabrication on my balcony or in the parking lot.  2) I have never done door panels before, just watched youtube videos and read about it on forums.  I am pretty handy so I am sure I can figure it out.  :)

Today is the day for progress.  Door panels are off, deadener is being applied.  I am starting to wonder if I bought the wrong amp though...  Everyone that posts a video has a 3500 amp on their sub; I just wonder if my BC2000D is going to be enough.  

Dont worry about what everyone else is doing, just make sure you build an efficient enclosure and your good to go. I wouldnt put 3500 watts on a sub for daily but to each its own.

I am making speaker rings right now.  So many cuts.  Wish I had a plunge router and jasper. 

This is my garage where I work on everything...

DSC00651.jpg

Let's see what we are working with.

DSC00653.jpg

What is that?  Do you see what I see?

DSC00654.jpg

RIVOTS!!!  Oh well, break out the drill!

DSC00655.jpg

DSC00656.jpg

DSC00657.jpg

Scond Verse, same as the first!

DSC00659.jpg

Now this is my workshop.

DSC00660.jpg

Just check out that view!

DSC00661.jpg

Here is where I tried a few different ideas trying to get the best end result.

DSC00662.jpg

DSC00663.jpg

DSC00664.jpg

DSC00665.jpg

DSC00666.jpg

DSC00667.jpg

Not bad, but something is missing...

DSC00668.jpg

DSC00669.jpg

Yup, you guesed it.  I forgot to make the step down rings so it sits flush to the door.  Back to the cutting again.

DSC00670.jpg

DSC00671.jpg

DSC00672.jpg

DSC00673.jpg

DSC00674.jpg

DSC00675.jpg

Losing daylight, time to move inside.

DSC00676.jpg

After I came inside I started to mock up how I wanted the speakers to sit.  The one thing I want to do is incorporate the grills from JBL.  I think they look amazing.  The problem is, they won't work with the rings that I cut last, so I ended up using the first set I made without the flush mounts.  Like I said, this is a learning experience for me.  :P

DSC00678.jpg

This is how they sit right now, I am just adding the rest of the braces to finalize the set up.  More pics to come.

After messing around last night for a bit, I decided to not use the speaker grills (even though I like them) and use the flush mount rings I made.  I was looking at pictures on a google image search and it just looks a lot better to me when they aren't surface mounted.

Edited by Corey0927

Nice progress so far sir!!

Thank you.  I now have everything I need to finish the install.  I just need time. :)

This is how it sits currently.  Just trying to decide on where to mount the crossovers.  If I want to keep them on the door, or next to the amp.  I am thinking for the sake of running all of those wires, putting them on the door will be easier in the long run.

DSC00682.jpg

Edited by Corey0927

Build looks good! If something doesn't work adapt and figure out how to make it work. I had those components a couple years ago, sold them to a friend and he is still using them today. Went through a couple pairs of tweeters though haha

It has been raining here for 5 days.  Today was the first day I was able to do any sort of work on it.  When I was mocking up the speaker rings, I didn't like the setup.  The rings were cut with a jigsaw and are not perfect.  I am worried that this will show when I glass over them.  I ordered a Jasper Jig today and went out and bought a plunge router.  This should make me happy once they are perfectly round. 

looking real nice!!!

You are attaching those rings to the door and not the door card right?

You are attaching those rings to the door and not the door card right?

Explain what you mean.  

Door panel equals door card and actual door, means the metal skeleton behind the door card (Usually the factory mounting location).

I drilled holes in the door panel.  After that, I glued fiberglass mat to the back of it.  Then I glassed the front with enough resin to fill the holes and soak through to the back mat.  

Front:

DSC00685.jpg

Back:

DSC00686.jpg

After this sets up, I am going to add another layer or two of mat and then the rings will be put in place.  I plan on stapling the fleece around where the green tape is and use bondo to make the transition smooth.  

I am pretty confident that this will work, but if it doesn't I can always just start over. It is a learning experience for me. 

This has been a long few weeks.  My father just finished his 6 weeks of radiation treatments and we are just waiting for his follow up MRI to find out if it worked or not.  As far as the car is concerned, I have hit my second wind now that I know he is done with his stuff.  I started working on the doors again yesterday.  Here is what I have so far...

Rings glued down, waiting for fleece.

DSC00689.jpg

DSC00690.jpg

DSC00691.jpg

DSC00692.jpg

DSC00693.jpg

DSC00694.jpg

Fleece on

DSC00695-1.jpg

DSC00696.jpg

DSC00698.jpg

After mat applied.  (Yes I know there are bubbles.  This was my first time doing this and I have learned a lot so far)

DSC00699.jpg

DSC00700.jpg

DSC00699.jpg

I trimmed the edges away and did several test fits in the car and everything looks good for clearance.  I am going to start the bondo work right now and hopefully finish them up this weekend.  As for the crossovers, I decided to mount them to the back side of the door panel so they are tucked out of the way.  

As I am looking at these I am am thinking that my original idea of wrapping them in vinyl is going to be a bitch with the curves.  I am now thinking I will plasti-dip them with matte black.  It will be a lot easier and will still look good.

Update: 6/28/14

My dad just finished 6 weeks of radiation treatments and IT WORKED!  The tumor is disintegrating and he is probably going to make a full recovery.  I wasn't able to do much work with the hectic schedule of driving him to his treatment every day for 6 weeks.  Now that things are settling down a little, I was able to work on the doors for a couple of hours today.  

It is definitely a learning experience for me.  Overall I am happy with how it is going.  If I was going to do it over again, I know what I would do differently.  Anyway, on with the pictures...

DSC00704.jpg

DSC00705.jpg

Test fit to make sure everything still shuts properly.

DSC00706.jpg

DSC00707.jpg

DSC00708.jpg

Beautiful!

DSC00709.jpg

DSC00711.jpg

I am going to be working on these tomorrow for about 8 hours, so I should be sanded down and ready to paint by tomorrow night.  Thank you for everyone who has tuned in for this build and a special thanks for those who have said kind things about my dad.  This build should start moving along nicely now that I have time.

Corey

Glad to hear about your father man, hope all turns out well.

Congrats to your Dad and family! Your door pods are coming along very nice!

Side note: don't use black text, as it's harder to read on dark background.

On my screen it shows as black text with a white background.