Sign in to follow this  
xxbobbyfinxx

DDX470 Restarts When Bass Cranked Up?

I have a 2006 Mazda3 and a Kenwood DDX470 headunit. I also have Infinity 6829CF door speakers in my front doors, with stock speakers in the rear. Lastly, I have a Hifonics Brutus 1600.1D amplifier powering two Kicker CVX 10's at 1,200RMS @ 2Ohms.

My problem is when I crank up my music, car on or off (but more so when the car is off), the radio will sometimes turn off and restart. My radio goes up to 35 on the volume wheel, with 32 being my self set distortion limit. I'm not sure it's really the song that matters, but I can crank up a song with a lot of bass to 32, and after beating away for 10 seconds or sometimes even less, the radio will just restart and then work normally until it restarts again.

To me it seems random. Sometimes it plays the songs fine and one time it would do it every 5 seconds from a heavy bass song, at levels as low as 28.

From the little research I did online I am starting to think it's just being "power starved". Someone said 2 ohm speakers are harder to power, but I'm not sure. My only thought of what to do would be just upgrade the wiring to bigger wire.

If anybody has any thoughts of helpful input, please share it as this greatly annoys me.

It especially sucks when I go to show somebody my system, and the the radio just restarts in front of everybody.

check the head unit wiring. 

does it happen with the sub on or off?

does it happen with the speaker off but sub playing? 

check the head unit wiring. 

does it happen with the sub on or off?

does it happen with the speaker off but sub playing? 

With the subwoofer cranked all the way up. I don't know if I can turn off just my speakers and leave the subwoofer on.

What's your voltage? Might be getting low enough to cut the deck off.

thats what im thinking steve, some head units will cut off at 10 volts even 11...  you need a DMM

I actually believe you cannot run under 4 ohms, so I would either add an amplifier or change to 4 ohm speakers.

But I've installed maybe 50+ of these units and I've never seen this issue.

Edit: I thought you were talking about your door speakers, But it still stands minimum of 4 ohms for the speakers.

Heat, voltage, or install is your issue