Julian

Taramp's HD8000

Little background on my current setup, Two ZCON 12's wired to 1 ohm, 1 Mechman 320 amp alt with run of 4/0 positive and negative the rear, one Odyssey PC1800ft (a second sitting in my shed), and one Diehard Platinum 65.

The back story/Good

I ordered my HD8k from DJSTAGE Gear I paid about 8xx for it and it shipped from Florida and took a dismal week plus out here to California. When I got my package, it was well packaged; although minimally. My first thoughts, extremely light and overall better build quality than the TS4 channel. The pots seemingly had much less play than the 4 channel which was great news. Also the Power, Clipping, and Protection is a nice touch, while I am reluctant to touch the clipping indicator; the protection light is nice. Whenever it is near low voltage (~12v) it will begin flashing and then turn solid right before it is going to protect, Nice touch. Also the amp stays very cool even at ambient temperatures around 80-90s in a black car. I ended up getting the triple 1/0 inputs from ToolMaker for about 30 bucks shipped, shipping was quick straight from North Carolina.

The sound. 

The sound is no different than any other class D Korean amplifier. Unlike other Brazilian amplifiers it does have better cone control at low volume  while sitting idle, and does not have the same dampening factor issues such as the Soundigital SD16k.

Now the bad, I will start from my biggest complaints to the smallest. The output terminals for the speaker terminals are NOT covered on top, I went to move the amp slightly when I was making sure it was working and adjusting the gains, I ended up accidentally touching the terminals.. OUCH, luckily it was on low volume so I didn't hurt myself too bad. Next are the INCREDIBLY loud fans, in an SUV or somewhere behind a wall might not matter, but in the mustang where it is about 4 feet away from you it sounds like a jet engine. The fans do not change speed based on temperature, they are either full on or off. The SSF goes from 5hz to 50hz, for me as I rarely run a SSF due to my experience using Korean amplifiers which run from 20-50hz. I got an unwelcome surprised when a song had a full reverse sweep that dropped pretty low and bottomed out on full power. Granted it was mostly my fault for not noticing that it started at 5hz, but it seems a bit unrealistic that someone would honestly need to go that low.

All in all, for the price to power ratio it is a definite good deal which is a plus. The amp quality is on par for the price, however despite my annoyances I would probably recommenced this amplifier to a friend and that's fairly high praise coming from me.

On to the pics

ir5uiNA.jpg

6jCX7ht.jpg

ilb2aEG.jpg

oZqFxBX.jpg

Thanks for the review.
We have some of those Taramps and Brazilian amps nowadays in my country. 

People don't know how to judge them, and are a little bit afraid of such big power in those small cases !

Nice write up!!

How's your amp doing? You still got it? Was looking into buying the 3k one for my hdc4 15